97 SW getting a few upgrades - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 8th, 2009, 07:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thumbs up

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the black hinges (door or hood) but it doesn't diminish the excellent job you have done on this. It looks awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Joel....mount the mach 5s already!!!
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Why is it more people keep up with this thread when nothing is happening to the truck? LOL
Because that truck and its rebuild is freakin awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
marcingham
Marc Ingham
1967 IIA 88

"Joel....mount the mach 5s already!!!"

What he said!!! I am with you. I want to see those wheels and tires on there bad.

I know why he isn't doing it (couldn't get it back in the garage), but almost want to ask him to do it just for a pic and them take them back off. But let's not distract the man, he is on a roll.
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Also haven't found someone I trust with those $250/ea wheels!
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Also haven't found someone I trust with those $250/ea wheels!
Get a set of Boost instead... They won't be $250 each unless you buy Barry's.

Old December 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The price of my wheels is very affordable now/
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
The price of my wheels is very affordable now/
Perfect... Just buy Barry's instead.

Old December 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
After some very chilly temps yesterday and more rain than I can ever remember falling overnight todays temp is right around 70- perfect to do the door panels. Now to find breaks in the 20mph winds....
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Joel- pictures !

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There coming, I promise! It takes me a while to upload to the laptop and then resize them to be small enough for D90 source.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
OK

Replacing the A/C vents is a very nice touch. Those of you who have not had to deal with broken vents yet, it is only a matter of time. Those of you who avoid touching the vents for fear of breaking them- go ahead and replace them! New ones feel so much more solid!

Since we removed the original '97 console (it is long gone so don't ask) I did some digging and found a way to cover the fuse panel with the correct type cover. I can't remember exactly how I found it but once I trimmed about 3in off the top it fits nicely with even with the AC. If you dont have AC, you would not have to trim it.

Got the rear door check installed, it works nicely, looks pretty good too.

Follow-up Post:

OK

DOOR PANELS!

First of all, I have attached a pic of the door panels/door cards that came on the 2007 doors. Visually they appear the exact same, except the '07 doors did not have speakers installed or any wiring going into them at all. There is another slight difference I will illustrate later. Plus since everything in the interior had already been color changed from grey to black I decided to use the 1997 door cards (also pictured) and just make them black to match. The final result is very nice as you can see.

Once installed, I noticed that one small section of the 1997 door panel needs to be trimmed to fit the shape of the 2007 door. It is not a huge difference, and is easily done with a utility knife. I am pointing to the area in the picture that needs trimming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9184email.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	684.1 KB
ID:	23562   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9172email.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	23563  

Name:	100_9183email.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	659.1 KB
ID:	23564   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9167email.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	23565  

Name:	100_9170email.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	23566   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9168email.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	608.0 KB
ID:	23567  

Name:	100_9179email.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	643.3 KB
ID:	23568   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9181email.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	23569  

Old December 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey Joel - did you use the Duplicolor stuff to make the door panels black?

Old December 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I use the SEM stuff purchased thru Eastwood. Plastic/Leather Prep, then Sand Free, then Color Coat. This is Landau Black.
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
I decided to use the 1997 door cards
...and upon further review I changed my mind again and decided to make holes in the '07 panels. Pics coming later.
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Did the black come out OK or did you change your mind for other reasons? I need to make my 2nd row door panels black to match the new front ones and I don't want it to look crappy.

Old December 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Joel......did you take apart the 07 door to paint, ie take out the window regulator, window felt, etc??

Any pics on that process if you did??
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
John, check this out:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&page=2&pp=20

Its not a detailed description by any means but there are some pix to look at. I stripped the doors completely to get them painted (both the doors for the 90 and the ones for the 110). I think its the only way to go, especially since they aren't that hard to take to bits. Just ping me if you need a write up. I've got lots more pix back at my place on an external drive.

Old December 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
OK

Since we removed the original '97 console (it is long gone so don't ask) I did some digging and found a way to cover the fuse panel with the correct type cover. I can't remember exactly how I found it but once I trimmed about 3in off the top it fits nicely with even with the AC. If you dont have AC, you would not have to trim it.
I have been considering this myself as the stock console is a PITA for access to the relays/fuses and pretty flimsy feeling.

Had a look back through the thread but couldn't find a good pic to show what you have put in it's place between the seats around the shifter? Or have you not got there yet?

Interested in seeing what you have or are going to do.

Thanks

Ian
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Did the black come out OK or did you change your mind for other reasons? I need to make my 2nd row door panels black to match the new front ones and I don't want it to look crappy.
The black on the first panel came out perfect like everything else I changed from grey. The second panel I think I started too late in the day and a quick shift in humidity caused it to flatten as it cured. Also the 07 panels seemed to fit better on the doors, and upon closer inspection are thicker and stronger than the the original ones.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
Joel......did you take apart the 07 door to paint, ie take out the window regulator, window felt, etc??

Any pics on that process if you did??
Yes and yes, but my pics wont help you much. Damn sure didnt help me when it was time to put them back together. Two tips here, be patient and look carefully for ALL the little screws before forcing everything. Twice I thought I had them all and found one more when I double checked. Also, one door may not be the same as the other, they seemed to just put in however many screws they felt like when the doors were assembled.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory
I have been considering this myself as the stock console is a PITA for access to the relays/fuses and pretty flimsy feeling.

Had a look back through the thread but couldn't find a good pic to show what you have put in it's place between the seats around the shifter? Or have you not got there yet?
Ian, for now the stock shifter is in place on the original pedestal arrangement. We had a tuffy console to put in but I think Marc is going to handle that when I am done with the rest of the truck. Going to build a nice custom part onto it out of starboard I think to trim out the shifter.

This truck is also getting a folding/locking rear seat, Engle, etc.

Follow-up Post:

First off the speaker holes in the original panels were nowhere near big enough for the new Polk speakers. Using the 07 panels meant I had to cut holes for the speakers and the wiring pass-thru. I scored the large hole with a compass on both sides then carefully cut it out with a utility knife. These are some kind of european earth friendly fiberglass material, so be careful not to scratch your balls during the process.

The speakers have a 2.5in mounting depth so I used the spacer that came with them, and had to cut a little off the brace inside the door. (I went back with a peice of flat bar and riveted it across where I cut to reinforce it after)

I forget if I mentioned anything about the audio in the truck yet, it consists of Polk db 6.5 speakers front and rear (marine rated) and an Alpine IDA-x305 "digital media reciever" (plays radio and iPod, no CDs, no tapes) and something called the Alpine Power Pack. It connects directly to the stereo and boosts its output to 45W per channel RMS instead of 16W or 20W or whatever it is originally. Essentially a 4 channel amplifier without having to find somewhere to mount it or having to wire it. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...HBC1jHyVomVMGw

Once I got it all installed I liked it so much I basically bought the exact same system and put it in my Disco. Very clear, perfect power for the Polk db speakers and it is nearly impossible to get it to distort.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_9189email.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	23615   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9190email.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	627.3 KB
ID:	23616  

Name:	100_9192email.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	679.7 KB
ID:	23617   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9199email.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	23618  

Name:	100_9205email.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	23619  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags