97 SW getting a few upgrades - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old November 29th, 2009, 10:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Looks really great. I was thinking that I might have to get different side marker lights - but those look good.

I see you also have the Craftsman rolly-stool that likes to dump you on your ass and roll off down the driveway and into the street.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4522 - Resized.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	23299  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hey I have masted the rolly stool! I spend so much time on it working on stuff like this that I have to keep using a bottle jack to straighten it back out. It is not designed very well for sure, but in the past couple years the bolts finally quit coming loose (when does that ever happen?) and overall its been a pretty good little stool. I vaguely remember one new years where we all took a turn on it getting pulled up and down the street behind a 49cc pocket bike...
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Looks really great. I was thinking that I might have to get different side marker lights - but those look good.

I see you also have the Craftsman rolly-stool that likes to dump you on your ass and roll off down the driveway and into the street.
Jim- the bolt for the lower hing on that Mantec spare carrier has to be installed upside down to clear the NAS bumper, but you probably already figgured that out.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2009, 01:31 AM
michaels
mike
2004 DII

i'm really diggin' that color, especially with the white rooftop. keeping this one for personal use, or are there plans to sell it as soon as it is done?
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Jim- the bolt for the lower hing on that Mantec spare carrier has to be installed upside down to clear the NAS bumper, but you probably already figgured that out.
Yeah, I immediately found that I couldn't use the supplied nut-plate since the new crossmember has a big fat weld that interferes. And I haven't been able to get my step bumper installed since the new frame rails are 1/4 in closer together than the originals. Still more work to do before I can stick that bumper on...

Old November 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Joel, we discovered that the inner fenders required less cutting if the forward upper perches were re-drilled and the towers rotated ~45-degrees so that the piggyback reservoirs were parallel with the frame rail.
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by safarirover
Joel, we discovered that the inner fenders required less cutting if the forward upper perches were re-drilled and the towers rotated ~45-degrees so that the piggyback reservoirs were parallel with the frame rail.
The thought crossed my mind, but with the amount of engineering Equipe puts into their products, I have to believe there is a reason for the way they are built. Plus, mounting the $650ea shocks in a non standard orientation just did not sit right with me. In the end it was a royal bitch to trim the first one, but once I had it I just made a cardboard template and cut the other one out. In hindsight the absolute A number one way to do it all would have been to trim the inner wings prior to the trip to the galvanizers, so they could be blasted and re-dipped- then once everything was installed pull the towers and have the silver paint stripped off and then powdercoat. I powdercoated before installing the wings and ended up with a couple light scratches even after wrapping them in a masking tape cocoon.

Also unless my memory fails me, and it might be, there is no easy way to rotate and re-drill the towers I have here- due to the fact that the retainer studs would end up under the tube? I'll take a look later.

Steven do you think I should loosen the main bulkhead bolts, bolt down the wings where I want them, then retighten the bulkhead before finalizing the door adjustments?
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
The thought crossed my mind, but with the amount of engineering Equipe puts into their products, I have to believe there is a reason for the way they are built. Plus, mounting the $650ea shocks in a non standard orientation just did not sit right with me. In the end it was a royal bitch to trim the first one, but once I had it I just made a cardboard template and cut the other one out. In hindsight the absolute A number one way to do it all would have been to trim the inner wings prior to the trip to the galvanizers, so they could be blasted and re-dipped- then once everything was installed pull the towers and have the silver paint stripped off and then powdercoat. I powdercoated before installing the wings and ended up with a couple light scratches even after wrapping them in a masking tape cocoon.

Also unless my memory fails me, and it might be, there is no easy way to rotate and re-drill the towers I have here- due to the fact that the retainer studs would end up under the tube? I'll take a look later.

Steven do you think I should loosen the main bulkhead bolts, bolt down the wings where I want them, then retighten the bulkhead before finalizing the door adjustments?

I've never had any issues mounting wings to a tightened bulkhead, nor has door adjustment been an issue. Doors typically go on last when we build a truck. I don't think you'll have any issues doing it with a loosened bulkhead though. You may discover that it is easier.

If you look at the tower (on our kit anyways) there's a flat spot that will align with the inner edge of the upper perch, which led me to believe that the towers were intended to be mounted in that position. When mounted in the original holes Marsland provided, the tower actually hangs over the edge.

To mount, I re-drilled the chassis and rotated the retainer and tower to the 'proper' angle.
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Joel.. any interest in giving up those shocks from that Freelander in the background?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Why do you ask? Please dont say you have one of these things...
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sadly I do.. the shocks are finished.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'll PM you
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Holy crap, I thought I was the only one!

Semper Fi!
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You guys will be proud, been worked on the truck yesterday afternoon, all last night and all day today.

Pics coming later (if I don't fall asleep)
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Looking forward to it.

Old December 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I finished for the night, got ready for bed, grabbed the laptop, uploaded the pics from the memory card, made it as far as opening D90 Source and clicking on the thread... and woke up a little while ago.

Getting back in the swing of things again now. Might not look like much progress picture wise, but it is really coming back together now. All the glass is in and all the body panels in place, got all the little details in place and hit the switch- had to adjust the idle bleed a little but the truck starts and runs great.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...100_9076-1.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...100_9077-1.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/100_9088.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/100_9095.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/100_9108.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/100_9122.jpg

Today I am need to find a skinnier condenser fan. I had a feeling it was gonna be a little tight once the front end was assembled, and it was. About 3/8". Wish I could get one last nice day this year where I can coat the front door panels. All the interior color change parts so far I have followed the process to a T, and all have turned out fantastic and I really need the door panels to match.

Follow-up Post:

ALSO

If anyone has a QT drag link could you take some detailed pictures of the ends for me? And maybe a measurement from the centerline of the steering drop arm to the centerline of the RH end. I am afraid they might have shipped me the wrong part from taking a quick look at it last night. If the end with the tie rod is supposed to have a nut then I am missing that too.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got the fan taken care of and got the cage mounted today, although its coming back off tomorrow so I can finish the wiring for the X-lites.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Why is it more people keep up with this thread when nothing is happening to the truck? LOL

Follow-up Post:

Had a small problem with the alternator not charging, I was worried my choice of a higher output GEMS Range Rover alt. was the problem but it turned out that the powdercoat on the bracket was keeping the alternator case from being finding a good ground. Made an 8g ground lead and it works perfectly.

Got the X-Lites mounted on the roll bar and hid the power/ground wires in the tube. Obviously you have to be careful doing this if you dont want to be blowing fuses left and right. Truck starts and runs like a dream, only thing left up front now is the drag link which I am missing jamb nuts for and thats about it. I bled the brakes and backed it out of the garage tonight on its own power and boy did it feel nice. Its been here almost a year now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_9124email.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	658.4 KB
ID:	23492   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9135email.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	23493  

Name:	100_9151email.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	23494   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9156email.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	752.5 KB
ID:	23495  

Old December 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

We follow it all the time and only complain when there are not updats.

I like the lights.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What about the hood hinges? They are galvy underneath the powdercoat. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I hope its turning out as nice as I planned it to be, my goals for it have been in my head as long as it has been in the garage and at this point its all so familiar that I am losing perspective on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags