97 SW getting a few upgrades - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Excellent work Joel...

Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
thanks fellas

Still got to get the wing protectors on, which I am on the fence about, and some other little odds and ends.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslandes
Really amazing truck, and I really like color (In france, our 50th anniversary defender have the same...).
Great looking with tires too ;-)
Do you drive a little or just go out the garage?
What is your 1st opinion about those tires?

Thx

Follow-up Post:

http://aebergon.perso.neuf.fr/Land_R..._50th_1999.htm
That French 50th truck is pretty cool!

I put about 5 quick miles on it, went to the gas station, down the highway a little, etc. The tires are louder than I expected but I do not think they are obnoxious. You really only hear them if the window is down. Seems I have heard from a couple of good old boys that these tires are similar to some other Interco tires in that they have a "break in period" from new? Maybe they will get a little quieter after some more miles. To my utter surprise, once I aired them down below 5psi I was able to get the truck back in the garage last night, with a little room to spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
What a fantastic job and a great looking end result!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I vote no for the wing protectors, its to nice to drill holes in.
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I vote no for the wing protectors, its to nice to drill holes in.
Your and my votes don't count.
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:30 AM
deslandes
Deslandes stéphane
1998/Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
I think black wings protectors should be nice (and usefull too), so +1 for me
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
deslandes
Deslandes stéphane
1998/Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
Hi Joel, I think your on holiday, no?

Can I ask you to post more pict about your truck, front, side rear?

Thx in advance.

Ste
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ste- holiday? What holiday?? :D I took it slow for a couple of days but I will get some more pics real soon, got the window tint done today so getting closer towards the final product. Next up I believe the truck goes back to paint/body to get a little touch-up and to be buffed out.

Also got the A/C system properly recharged today and the alignment set to specification. The alignment made quite the difference, even though it was not far off the steering feels more precise now and the steering wheel properly self-centers after a turn. My personal truck will be getting a proper alignment in the very near future for sure, although I doubt my buddy and his co-workers will be quite as awestruck by my Disco.

New wheel arch eyebrows came Christmas Eve, but Greg at RN forgot one of the rears. They are the gloss style eyebrows so I will likely end up hitting them with adhesion promoter and painting them with a matte texture paint that contains a lot of flex agent. Over-the-counter aerosol spray on bedliner with a top coat of semi gloss paint was suggested by one of the Orlando boys, but somehow doesn't seem appropriate here. I thought of getting them Line-X'd but not sure if we want to take any more artistic license with the truck than we already have.

An Engle fridge has arrived as well, but I don't know. The thing is a monster, and it is grey. Might have to paint it black too?

Oh and there is a mysterious driveline hum, most likely from the rear, between 40 and 47 MPH (GPS) that sounds ominous. A good friend pointed out to me that the problem could actually be directly related to driveline angles, possibly due to the fact that the Equipe rear links are not adjustable this really worries me. A quick and approximate look at the trusty angle finder suggests the transfer case flange is ~2deg, the tube of the shaft ~14deg and the rear diff flange ~7deg. Not being the expert on ALL things I am not sure if this means I have figured it out or not, but until I find the time to do some research I am not likely to sleep very well.

The more I look at it the more I really want to get the tailpipe re worked to fit better and perhaps get a better sounding muffler on the truck but that last part will be up to the owner.

Follow-up Post:

HMM

Seems like anything more than 1deg difference between the output flange at the tcase and the differential flange is a no-no for a regular 2 joint driveshaft. From my angle finder experiment- a 5deg difference between the flanges would certianly call for a double cardan rear shaft, trouble is, that is exactly what I am trying to run. The shaft was even custom made by GBR according to measurements I took so it would work properly with the Expedition kit. DAMN I get the feeling I am going to have to pull the shaft and measure again and call GBR. My initial instincts tell me the noise is in the diff but the diff was tried in another truck and it was quiet!! And before anyone asks, yes it has fluid in it, correct type and amount, etc.
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is the drive shaft properly out of phase?
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM
deslandes
Deslandes stéphane
1998/Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
Great job, really (and sorry for "holiday")... I'm really waiting for new picts as I'm a real fan of your job.
Regarding the bad vibs have you got in your set up suspension corrected arms?

Thx,

Ste
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Yeah, check that, I've had that issue before myself. Fixing it cleared up the noise. But for me it was on my Jeep and the driveshaft yokes needed to be in phase, or aligned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
THis is a simple fix. You have to get some spacers to install on top of your trailing arms. IT will lenghthen them and drop your pinion angle down to almost match your t-case. IF your t-case is 2deg you can prob get away with 3-4 deg on the pinion. This is why I like RYM rear links so much. THey come with a spacer pack/set so you can adjust your angle corectly..

Follow-up Post:

Oh... and the truck looks great.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I wish I was that talented.

Outstanding build.
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Not sure what you mean Ron?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
THis is a simple fix. You have to get some spacers to install on top of your trailing arms. IT will lenghthen them and drop your pinion angle down to almost match your t-case. IF your t-case is 2deg you can prob get away with 3-4 deg on the pinion. This is why I like RYM rear links so much. THey come with a spacer pack/set so you can adjust your angle corectly..

Follow-up Post:

Oh... and the truck looks great.
I guess by RYM you mean Rovertym/RTE? I have those on my Disco, yes they are great but you cannot shim out the Equipe rear links- the threaded part is too damn short. As they are, they are the minimum length for proper use of the nylock nut. Might could get a pair of metal locking nut, but doubt it would give me enough length back to make the difference...
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:53 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Joel,

I saw those x-lites a few months ago and liked the concept/looks of of them but I have been hesitant to throw down the coin as I'm not sure what sort of light output they give off. Now that you've installed them can you gauge whether or not they are as bright/powerful as a set of traditional Hella's? I love the way you ran the wiring through the roll bar; very clean. I'm inclined to copy you if the lights work as well as they look.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:45 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss
Joel,

I saw those x-lites a few months ago and liked the concept/looks of of them but I have been hesitant to throw down the coin as I'm not sure what sort of light output they give off. Now that you've installed them can you gauge whether or not they are as bright/powerful as a set of traditional Hella's? I love the way you ran the wiring through the roll bar; very clean. I'm inclined to copy you if the lights work as well as they look.
I feel they are pretty bright, but you are onto something here. Perhaps a full on side by side comparison between the X-Lites on the D90 and my Disco's Hella 4000s is in order!
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:47 AM
deslandes
Deslandes stéphane
1998/Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
You can try something :

- Remove le front driveshaft, lock your transfert and check if you have the bad vibs
- Same thing with the rear

If you have a bad balanced or phased propshaft, it will cause a problem.
Old December 31st, 2009, 07:52 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Not sure what you mean Ron?

Follow-up Post:

I guess by RYM you mean Rovertym/RTE? I have those on my Disco, yes they are great but you cannot shim out the Equipe rear links- the threaded part is too damn short. As they are, they are the minimum length for proper use of the nylock nut. Might could get a pair of metal locking nut, but doubt it would give me enough length back to make the difference...

Joel, you can always swap out the RYM links from the disco to try it as well. I am positive that would cure the problem. I had the stranges noise when I did the series coiler and that it was a t-case bearing. IT was actually the rear shaft at that speed that just started making the strangest noise. I ended up making some spacers on the lathe. I only needed about 3/8" and it dropped the angle just enough. No more noise.

Or shim the ones you have even know the the nut will not lock well and just test it around the block. If it goes away, then I would go for different links and be done with it.. Whats a few more $$$$$ lol
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Or shim the ones you have even know the the nut will not lock well and just test it around the block. If it goes away, then I would go for different links and be done with it.. [img]images/smilies/happy.gif[/img] Whats a few more $$$$$ lol
Yeah that is what I am thinking too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags