'95 Classic - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfiske View Post
I kinda disagree. I actually missed the BW when i went to the LT230 in my old classic. I did some pretty crazy trails with just a BW and open diffs. Some dude in an FJ once asked me, after i went up some stupid kind of rock infested ridge, what kind of lockers i had. he was floored when i told him just a VC coupled center diff.

yes they fail, but when they work, i think BW are pretty great. And super quiet.
There is no advantage that I can think of for a BW over an LT-230, unless you don't have the diff lock linkage hooked up on the LT-230...
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2014, 08:25 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There are actually times when using CDL offroad hurts more than it helps. There are also times where you would be stupid not to use it... I apply this differently depending on how the vehicle I am driving is set up, and what the conditions are but generally speaking, when I want more control CDL stays off. When I want more traction I engage it.
The only advantage over an LT230 truck I can think of is with a BW, is some years (93-95) had traction control.
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
The other time the B-W is nice is when driving on snow covered roads.

It just feels better than a totally locked center diff which is what I had in the D90 at the time.

Yes, one could say the short wheelbase of the 90 had some impact and that would be true, yet, the B-W seemed better suited.

For sure when we were in MOAB the B-W kinda let me down as the frt and rear was locked and the power never really got to the frt over a ledge.

I was going to install a LT230 in mine and just ran out of money. Possibly when we get back.

------ Follow up post added October 6th, 2014 07:44 AM ------

Quote:
Ok I have everything except the other half of the bellhousing bolts off, that's enough for today.
As the saying goes, it gets worse before it gets better!
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2014, 04:40 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Degreasing the "new" transmission and LT230

Old October 7th, 2014, 05:36 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry

Old October 8th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
very nice. are you going to go the whole route and add the light showing the box is locked?
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:56 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
very nice. are you going to go the whole route and add the light showing the box is locked?
I forget exactly how I did it at the time, but on one of my previous '95s I hooked up the unused CDL light in the cluster, which I thought was pretty slick because I had to use some parts from a D1 to do it, but it only worked sometimes... I considered just hiding a small LED somewhere below the sorry excuse for a cup holder that would illuminate the CDL shifter when it was engaged, but I may just try and sort out the cluster light again for the sake of appearing original.
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:12 AM
LRFlip
Matt Hines
98 D1

better not be getting my truck greasy.
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:59 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Today only had time to do some cleanup on interior parts.

One of the cool parts about the '95 is the console. It is exactly the same as the console from a Discovery with manual seats, only wrapped in vinyl material. Some of the '95 classics got black consoles, but most, like mine, are tan.
Being the same as the Discovery means once the wood panel (ski jump) is removed, underneath is the perfect layout for the D1's rubber mat and transfer case shift boot. Move the lighted window switches to a panel from a D1, and everything is done. Bonus points if the window switch trim is wood. I'll definitely be trying for bonus points.

Also going one (or two) steps further, with a real leather console lid and proper cup holders. More details about this to follow upon reassembly.

Old October 9th, 2014, 10:27 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
New O2 sensors, transmission cooler lines, kickdown cable, brake cable all just arrived, which makes the prospects for getting the truck running (driving) again over the weekend much more likely...
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
Keep that energy going! Turning out really well so far!
Old October 9th, 2014, 02:58 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
Keep that energy going! Turning out really well so far!
Thanks!

Anyone need a good Borg Warner transfer case?
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:08 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ok I finished installing the new kickdown cable and trans filter.

This is the original pitiful brake cable heat shield.

This is a slightly modified cruise control heat shield off an 03 or 04 Discovery. I couldn't help but notice a similar shape, and that the quality of the material was much nicer on this part.

See where this is going?

I won't get to really see how well it fits until the brake assembly is installed back onto the transfer case, later.

I also fixed the rear wiper, somewhere in the past the spring from the wiper arm had disappeared.
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So, this stuff is mostly ready to go in. Still got to finish up the mount brackets, clean and lube the transfer shift linkage, but that's about it. I think I am going to put them in one at a time though instead of as an assembly.

I cleaned the loadspace carpet, the stain didn't come out but that's ok, have a plan for that as well.

(before/after)
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:03 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry

Old October 9th, 2014, 08:12 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post

I cleaned the loadspace carpet, the stain didn't come out but that's ok, have a plan for that as well.

(before/after)
Looks good. I have the same stain, in the same spot. What did you use to clean the carpet? I'm building a cargo drawer that will cover my stain for now...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:22 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
Looks good. I have the same stain, in the same spot. What did you use to clean the carpet? I'm building a cargo drawer that will cover my stain for now...
I used the soap hose attachment on my pressure washer to bombard it with a solution of laundry detergent and purple power. Then I scrubbed it. Then I flushed it again with soap, the pressure washed it till the water running off it is clean. Then hang it up and let it dry in the sun.

Whatever my stain is, it is set in. It looks like someone tried really hard to clean it in the past, and honestly the carpet is suffering because of it, so while it looks OK from a distance, it's tired looking up close. No big deal, replacement is in the long term plan, and I have a cargo liner to cover it. At least it's clean now, and much better than before.
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
One of those mobile upholstery guys could probably fix that for you super cheaply.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:15 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
One of those mobile upholstery guys could probably fix that for you super cheaply.
No I know all about those guys, been there and done that on projects in the past, not worth it.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
No I know all about those guys, been there and done that on projects in the past, not worth it.
I can appreciate that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
95, classic