Defender Source Forum banner

'95 Classic

Tags
95 classic
82K views 543 replies 51 participants last post by  huibae 
#1 ·
I have been waiting for the right truck to come along, and last week the clouds parted and this rolled in... a 1995 Range Rover Classic SWB

Originally sold in Mobile, to a physician in the Atlanta area who was murdered in Uganda before the odometer hit 10K, it was sold from his estate to a local gentleman... and then to me makes three. All things considered, the second owner took very good care over the years, but parked it about two years ago with transmission trouble. It needs the basic odds and ends like any truck that has been used over the past two decades... should be a fun project.

If you know your RRCs here is the money shot:

See less See more
#2 ·
I was told the transmission went completely out, but that it would work for a little before warming up? Also, that it would not start due to bad gas.

Well my guess was seized fuel pump... sure enough, it had no fuel pressure. Quick fix, with a fresh battery it fired up instantly, and even better, it drives. No reverse, but drives nice. [emoji3]

------ Follow up post added July 18th, 2014 10:44 PM ------

I'm going to need a quarter...

#10 ·
I didn't even bother with the old battery, it might take a charge but I am sure what I swapped in is a better one. Someone had recently tried to jump start it, and they might have checked for fuel pressure at the rail, but they didn't go as far as checking relays or voltage to the pump, so I I checked the relay (it worked) and the pump (no noise) so that is why it would not start.

#8 ·
OK brand new liftgate struts are here, new front lower lights are on the way, and the previous owner stopped by with the missing wood for the passenger front door, and I have began to accumulate other various small parts... and I already have some of the large parts I need for the LT230 conversion/transmission swap.

------ Follow up post added July 22nd, 2014 01:24 PM ------

I didn't know what to expect before it showed up, and once it got here I couldn't wipe the smile off my face, it is a keeper for sure.

#17 ·
our RR rubber mats are now probably 15 years old and still in good shape.

look forward to seeing the steel structure under the quarter panel when you remove it.

nice looking RRC!

#19 ·
This week- found a quarterpanel (should be here soon), and got another box of parts, and a big box of paint. Oh, and a transmission as well as complete LT230q swap setup. Waiting on some oil cooler lines, then will begin the mechanical side of the project.

On the interior side, I believe I have nearly everything worked out... including restoration of all the original wood. Also got some carpet samples in this week, looks like "Cafe Latte" is a better match than "Mocha".

#30 ·
Good idear!

Actually first thing I ordered...

------ Follow up post added August 17th, 2014 08:39 PM ------

ttt

LT230? Dual hood lights? tune-up? come on man dieing to see some progress. I have a track rod you can use.
I'm dying to make that progress, I must say two small kids make it tougher to crank out those famous all night work sessions. Tougher, but not impossible. Soon, I promise.

#32 ·
nice. have the NRP version on mine and it makes a nice sound.

it was funny though as we passed the Italian police last week looking at vehicles going up this one pass, the policeman made a face at the Rangie and put his hands to his ears. Thought for sure we were getting pulled over.

thought you may like this pic. other side still has LIFT intact.

Attachments

#34 ·
very cool! I removed the front brackets as just another spot that eventually will leak water. Rear still on although the flaps have long been gone. Also like an ARB on a Rangie. I was in an accident where an old Caddy Eldorado cut in front of me as I was going 45mph. The Rangie went over the hood pushing the driver's wheel under the seat box and the ARB back to the headlight. After coming to a stop, my door still opened without a problem. They are stout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.