'95 Classic - Page 15 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 29th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKmtrsp View Post
Thanks, I ordered most bits from your ebay page last evening...will order the switch bezel this morning. Great info...trying to keep the old truck on the road and looking good

Chip
Hey Chip- good to see you found your way to this build thread- if you have any Classic questions, especially concerning the '95, Crown14 is your guy.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2014, 01:22 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

extra bits

Now thats a man that knows how to cultivate and retain a customer...great customer service...thanks Joel...I'll be looking your way first when I need something else in the future.

take care, Chip

------ Follow up post added October 29th, 2014 11:29 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
This thread has been great, hopefully this spring I will start a thread on mine, pulling the seat ecu while I still have full control of everything
Pulled my ECU out when I bought the truck...still haven't attempted to fix the board yet. Typically the seat switches were working the mirrors...crosstracking on the board from the battery leaking...doesn't look to bad though. We'll see if I can get it up and working again.

Chip
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:33 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Before I forget I should probably list my current issues

Drivers seat belt "button" missing
AC inoperable
Driver's lower door hinge issue
Rattle in RH lower dash area
Some of the "new" door seals not working great
A few switches in the dash not working (dome light, etc)
Radio back light out
Catalytic converters rattling

To do list
Instrument cluster bezel repair
Strip and powder coat roof rack
Finish detailing chassis/wheel wells
Trim/reinstall front valance maybe?
Replace steering linkage components and align

Maintenance
Renew cooling system components, thermostat, all hoses, etc
Evaluate condition of brake discs and pads, wheel bearings, etc
Replace brake hoses
Replace power steering hoses

I'm seriously considering refinishing the original alloys and using them instead of the steel wheels. Or painting the steelies white. Or maybe white wolf wheels.
Joel,

I think the original alloys are the way to go here...light and strong. I'll be watching the progress on the cluster bezel as mine is cracked.

Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2014, 08:41 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
This thread has been great, hopefully this spring I will start a thread on mine, pulling the seat ecu while I still have full control of everything
Quote:
Now thats a man that knows how to cultivate and retain a customer...great customer service...thanks Joel...I'll be looking your way first when I need something else in the future.

take care, Chip

------ Follow up post added October 29th, 2014 11:29 AM ------

Pulled my ECU out when I bought the truck...still haven't attempted to fix the board yet. Typically the seat switches were working the mirrors...crosstracking on the board from the battery leaking...doesn't look to bad though. We'll see if I can get it up and working again.

Chip
On Instagram now too...
http://instagram.com/p/utkhRMESK5/
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I don't like the way those steel wheels look. I think some alloys would definitely look better. I think some Boosts would be the obvious choice
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:46 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm not scared of boosts on a RRC!
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
Quote:
I think the original alloys are the way to go here...light and strong.
Agreed, yet when mine were delivered, I am surprized at how heavy they really are and how easily the lip can be bent which happened to the one.
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:48 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Donated from a 2004 disco parts truck:

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:48 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Where is the actual seat ECU? Mine is starting to exhibit symptoms. I assume it's under the seat base, right?
Old October 30th, 2014, 10:49 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Where is the actual seat ECU? Mine is starting to exhibit symptoms. I assume it's under the seat base, right?
Under the driver seat
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:02 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Get to it and remove that battery quickly if you've got symptoms...you can google search for information about the issues...battery leaks on printed circuit board and causes crosstracking of the board wiring underneath the battery...seat switches work the mirrors, etc.

Good luck,

Chip
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:48 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Yeah, crap. I am only just learning about the seat ECU's in the later models having previously only owned two '91's. I fear it's too late at this point. I guess we'll find out when I extract the thing.
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:50 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Best to adjust seats and mirrors where you want them before removing module...just saying
Old October 31st, 2014, 09:15 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Best to adjust seats and mirrors where you want them before removing module...just saying
Seats are easy to adjust with a jumper wire or Power Probe. The mirrors can be adjusted manually.
Old October 31st, 2014, 09:46 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

On my '95 LWB I used a seat switch from an earlier RRC for the driver's side seat when I deleted the seat module. It took me awhile to get the jumpers I added under the seat right but it works fine now. With the mirrors I used a Disco 1 mirror switch and added a power jumper to wire it like the Disco. I found out that on my truck the rear wiper was on the same circuit, getting its power from the module, so I ended up wiring it like the earlier RRC by adding a jumper for power at the relay.
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:38 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
On my '95 LWB I used a seat switch from an earlier RRC for the driver's side seat when I deleted the seat module. It took me awhile to get the jumpers I added under the seat right but it works fine now. With the mirrors I used a Disco 1 mirror switch and added a power jumper to wire it like the Disco. I found out that on my truck the rear wiper was on the same circuit, getting its power from the module, so I ended up wiring it like the earlier RRC by adding a jumper for power at the relay.
This is what I'm going to be doing for my mirrors, can you tell us what wire you used? I have noticed that while the part number is the same for the Disco and 95 RRC mirror switch, the 95 RRC switch has one less pin in the switch.

For the seat switch, you actually don't have to change the switch at all, just the wiring.
Old October 31st, 2014, 11:08 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Its that extra pin that the Disco mirror switch has that you need and if I remember right, it is for the power lead. I have another '95 LWB that I am going to do the same module delete to and I will try to get a picture of the wire connections tomorrow.

I just used the earlier model seat switch to get rid of the 1&2 positions. I've been lurking, following your build. You've got your truck looking really nice.
Old October 31st, 2014, 11:11 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
Its that extra pin that the Disco mirror switch has that you need and if I remember right, it is for the power lead. I have another '95 LWB that I am going to do the same module delete to and I will try to get a picture of the wire connections tomorrow.

I just used the earlier model seat switch to get rid of the 1&2 positions. I've been lurking, following your build. You've got your truck looking really nice.
I saved the memory switch wiring in case I wanted to control something else later on. Like air horns or nitrous.

I'm out this morning doing Halloween stuff with the kids, when I get back I am going to play with the mirror wiring again!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think I forgot to mention, back when I was replacing the engine mounts, I let the engine tilt back too far and I busted up the wiring for the stepper motor (and the stepper motor as well)

I went by the junkyard and clipped a pigtail off a 1987 Chevy S-10 to repair it.

I also installed two new O2 sensors before I reinstalled the transmission. I used the Walker branded sensors- they are actually made by NTK but in the Walker box they are about 25 bucks cheaper.

Instead of the shaft that was on my ZF transmission, I used a very good condition spud shaft out of a very low mileage truck and I've got no nasty CLUNK when I let off the throttle or shift into reverse from park. I also replaced the transmission output seal and transfer case input seals to prevent any leaks.

I also installed a pair of JATE rings, one up front and one in the rear. You know, just in case.

I think that's most of what I forgot to post in the pre-Uwharrie rush...
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Your truck looks great! How much to send mine for a refresh????
2000 DII (SOLD)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
95, classic