94 Arles D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
94 Arles D90

So, I got my old Arles back from Hawaii and after several years near the ocean there are some corrosion issues. I am going to document my steps to address the corrosion here and am sure to be asking a lot of questions , so thanks in advance for all those that care to add their input.

First a few pics from the night it was delivered. Last photo is parked in the garage next to a much cleaner Coniston Green 90.

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2013 08:05 PM ------

Good news first, it seems to be running well and the previous owner recently had the R380 transmission replaced. Also, the body, frame and rear cross look to be in pretty good condition. As you can see from the photos above the Best Top soft top is in pretty poor condition and literally ripped apart when I tried to remove the windows.

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2013 08:09 PM ------

Now for the not so good, there is corrosion and a through hole in the driver side footwell. All of the bolted on bits, brush bar, 3rd break light bar and tire carrier have corrosion but appear to be salvageable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:12 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Last photo for now, why would anyone use a plastic ribbon label maker to indicate "premium gas only"?

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:22 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Glad you got your Arles back! The pics the seller sent me when I was asking about it didn't point out to any of the areas you addressed above. But it looks fairly accurate for what he described and shouldn't take too much to get her back up to speed. Did you end up buying at the $20k mark? Any plans to sell your other 90? Good luck with the restore.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:30 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Yeah, no real surprises other than the footwell, everything else was disclosed by the seller. I am still unsure about selling the Green 90, its in really good shape, only 70k miles and outfitted nicely. I am not too excited to see it go, but I really don't need two 90's so will likely end up selling it.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:33 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
It always amazes me how much different the "for sale" pictures are from the reality of any vehicle with age! Glad you got your truck back and look forward to seeing the progress! Congrats!
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:36 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Below is a shortlist of projects that I intend to undertake. Any suggestions on source for parts, procedure or alternate repair would be greatly appreciated.

1. Replace Oil Cooler Lines - Source trailhead4x4.com
2. Replace fuel tank cradle – Considering either aluminum cradle from SafariHP or Galvy Cradle from RN, but open to other suggestions.
3. Arrest corrosion in driver’s footwell – wire brush and treat with POR-15. The corrosion at the bulkhead-footwell interface is pretty ugly, with a through hole (see photo above). What are my options for long-term repair? Please don’t say replace bulkhead.
4. Remove brush bar, rear tire carrier and 3rd break light bar – have blast cleaned and powder coated.
5. There is corrosion on several other interior components, seat guides, seat box covers, tuffy box. I would like to salvage these, what is the best method for cleaining, prep and paint?
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Look at the footwell pic in the RHD ROW 110 Softtop post. That is the easiest way to fix it I would consider good enough. Basically cut out all the rust and weld in a piece of metal bent at the angle of the floor (the part of the bulkhead under the floor will be shot with that level of rust). It won't be a perfect match because the factory bulkhead is multiple layers (you can buy proper repair panels from RN but they are $$$ and I would feel compelled to pull the fender and front cage to do that repair with those panels properly) but it will be strong and if you cut out all the rust, rust treat, primer, seam seal, paint and then undercoat the bottom and wheel well side it should last if you toss out those stupid foam backed floor mats and replace your vent seals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
d90