'91 110 Refurb - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 4th, 2016, 01:36 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post
- Warning lights - I'm being told that the early 200TDIs (mine is a 1991) don't have a hand brake light. Accurate?

- Fuel Gauge & Low Fuel Light - i actually ran out of gas at around 1/4 tank. No warning light came on. I'm being told that there are only two wires. One for ground and one for the gauge so no warning light. Is this accurate?

- Speedometer - mine jumps around like crazy on smooth freeway. is that normal?

- Cigarette Lighter doesn't work so will replace. I assume this is pretty easy

- Turn signal doesn't stay when turning right so needs to be replaced

- Rear Wiper - what are people's opinion on rear wipers? I got a new rear door with a tire arm. They did not install a wiper on the new door. Is it worth installing and drilling a hole in the door, etc?
Truck looks great.

1. Correct no warning light for hand brake

2. There is a low fuel module taped behind the dash on your truck fed off the gauge wire. I gave up on mine and pulled the low fuel bulb. Wouldn't surprise me if your PO did as well.

3. Mine jumped a bit too. Make sure the speedo cable is tight on the transfer case where it attaches. If you crawl under you will see a nut on a stud that holds it in. Mine was bouncy a bit, switched to electrical speedo. Smooth now.

4. Check fuse

5. I would go without it if I didn't have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2016, 01:54 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
Quote:
I took delivery of the truck on Friday. It was perfect timing as I had a wedding up in Humboldt on a 1000 acre ranch where we all camped out. What a perfect weekend to put the D110 through the motions and get to know her. Did some river crossings and some fun offroading. Overall I am very happy with the truck and the condition of the refurbishment. High quality work and a great paint job. I do have some specific questions for everyone.

- Warning lights - I'm being told that the early 200TDIs (mine is a 1991) don't have a hand brake light. Accurate?

- Fuel Gauge & Low Fuel Light - i actually ran out of gas at around 1/4 tank. No warning light came on. I'm being told that there are only two wires. One for ground and one for the gauge so no warning light. Is this accurate?

- Cigarette Lighter doesn't work so will replace. I assume this is pretty easy

- Rear Wiper - what are people's opinion on rear wipers? I got a new rear door with a tire arm. They did not install a wiper on the new door. Is it worth installing and drilling a hole in the door, etc?

I have a 1991 and I don't have a warning light for the hand brake.
I DO have a warning light for low fuel but it is tied to the gauge (mine doesn't work below 1/4 so reports low when I have fuel left in tank)
Rear wiper depends on use IMHO mine was removed but haven't needed it yet but I still have winter ahead so I may change my opinion on that one.
Old October 5th, 2016, 11:02 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I won't push for the rear wiper. I don't think this will be a big deal and I'm all for fewer holes in the truck.

Do people take their trucks through car wash? I did after getting it nice and dirty and water came pouring in through the right side of the upper dash vents. However I drove the car in light rain already and there were no leaks. Any ideas on source/how to fix or just stay away from car washes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:28 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
REALLY enjoying the rig. Love getting out there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1796817406.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	247482  
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:26 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:

For the speedometer - if the needle is jerking/shaking/jumping all the time instead of moving smoothly, then this is most likely caused by the speedo cable (especially if you are hearing a bit if buzzing too). I've had the same issue with mine. You can try to lube it (pull the instrument cluster, disconnect the speedo cable, and inject the lube b/w the cable and the liner). It will help somewhat. But I ended up replacing mine and that fixed it for me. The cable is cheap and very easy to replace (other than the awkward bit behind the instrument cluster).

For the turn signal - mine has the same issue - you can try replacing the indicator self-cancel ring (NRC7636) first without replacing the stalk itself, it might help. Even with the new stalk you would most likely need to replace the ring anyway.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:39 AM
DiscoDavis
C Davis
1990 110, 1995 Disco

Quote:
REALLY enjoying the rig. Love getting out there
Haven't spotted you yet!
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:15 PM
no4mkit
Todd
2008 RR Sport

Nice photo Kurt! Where is that?

I've been watching for you on bay area roads too...
Old May 24th, 2017, 09:43 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mkit View Post
Nice photo Kurt! Where is that? I've been watching for you on bay area roads too...
Santa Cruz mountains! Found a few fun trails. Here is last night on Bolinas Ridge. A few more modeling shots at sunset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3328316958.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	247970   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-909535176.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	578.6 KB
ID:	247978  

Old May 25th, 2017, 11:44 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Great thread. I actually have a 92 200TDI 110 on its way to me now, but will be a project. I greatly enjoyed reading your thread as it gave me a ton of ideas. Specifically the HVAC. This will be a TX truck and it will need HVAC.

Sooo. How has the HVAC worked for you? Do you noticed a drag on the TDI engine when it is on?
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:00 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Great thread. I actually have a 92 200TDI 110 on its way to me now, but will be a project. I greatly enjoyed reading your thread as it gave me a ton of ideas. Specifically the HVAC. This will be a TX truck and it will need HVAC. Sooo. How has the HVAC worked for you? Do you noticed a drag on the TDI engine when it is on?
Thanks and great to hear! I put so much time into researching the truck and the work I wanted to have done on it. And I did not even do really any of the work. I can only imagine how much time that would take. I am glad that my research and mistakes are helping others. Regarding the air-conditioning, it has been great. I do not notice any distinguishable change in performance of the 200TDI. Honestly, I use it less than I thought I would.

The only issue I have is that it leaks some water at the foot of the passenger. Not a ton and it is not a huge deal but would like to get it fixed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags