86' 110 pickup begins - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:03 PM
kmagnuss
Mag
86' 110 pickup

86' 110 pickup begins

Just imported a 86 110 pickup (2.5 NA diesel) from the UK here to sunny Florida. Been lusting for a Defender since I was a kid, and this is close enough for me. It's got some battle scars and a lot of patina, but I love it just the same. Was a one owner truck since new and now has 167k miles. It's going to be a long term project for me but I hope to drive it as much as possible during the process. I don't plan on getting rid of the 'authenticity' of it, and plan to keep the shop decals on there as long as possible. Eventually I'll have to address the bulkhead and chassis, but for now it's just a bunch of small stuff for the most part. So here's the only two pictures I have of her so far... still on the shipping truck:

Looking forward to contributing to the site and banging that search button daily.

-Mag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2017, 08:50 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Beautiful truck - wouldn't change a thing with its looks.
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:21 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Congrats!
One bit of advice....drive it! It's too easy to get caught up in taking things off it and then it becomes underivable. Definitely stick to your plan of driving it while working on it.
Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2017, 09:25 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Good looking Landy, good LUCK with the forum search button lol. Drive the nuts off it and learn it before major changes.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:49 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
It's too easy to get caught up in taking things off it and then it becomes underivable.
Seriously. Be wary of this. I've seen lots of cars go from OK drivers to multi year projects that get sold before they get finished.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Great truck!
"Demolish! Dismantle! Reclaim!" - a motto for a typical medieval knight or a Land Rover enthusiast, very appropriate
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Love it! Exactly what I have coming over as well (though with a fresh galvanized bulkhead and NAS ST doors).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:15 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Congrats on truck.. today I did my first drive in my 110 2.5NA...

Pedal to floor, almost 60MPH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A97E43CC-17A6-4E01-A3B8-655E0D95E206.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	332977
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
Just imported a 86 110 pickup (2.5 NA diesel) from the UK here to sunny Florida. Been lusting for a Defender since I was a kid, and this is close enough for me. It's got some battle scars and a lot of patina, but I love it just the same. Was a one owner truck since new and now has 167k miles. It's going to be a long term project for me but I hope to drive it as much as possible during the process. I don't plan on getting rid of the 'authenticity' of it, and plan to keep the shop decals on there as long as possible. Eventually I'll have to address the bulkhead and chassis, but for now it's just a bunch of small stuff for the most part. So here's the only two pictures I have of her so far... still on the shipping truck:

Looking forward to contributing to the site and banging that search button daily.

-Mag
looks so much liken mine when it came in. love the legit graphics, id leave those def
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Tbaumer
Ted Baumer
1986 LHD 110

Registry
The decals are awesome! Looks great the way is. I wouldn't even clean it!
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:52 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

I love the pickup configuration! Congrats!
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:57 PM
kmagnuss
Mag
86' 110 pickup

Thanks guys. Drove it to work on Thursday. Found out the radiator has two holes in it and the fuel tank leaks like a siv above half full. Ordered a metric asston of parts from Paddock and I'll start chipping away at it while daily driving it hopefully.
Plan is to leave it "authentic"... decals and all. Love that thing. When the time comes to fix the bulkhead and such I'll try to somehow match the patina as best as possible.

-Mag
Old December 10th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Check out LRDirect.com too for parts. Nice selection, good prices and lightning fast shipping. I was mostly dealing with them for my rebuild.
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:13 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

And when you order from outside the US, try to stay below the customs limit - maybe $600 or so? Break 'em into separate orders if necessary. They're idiots in customs and can't read. I received a phone call then email from customs asking for the customs classification of various items in my shipment (bearings, calipers, etc...) and, included in the email, was a copy of the form sent to customs from LRDirect with the customs classifications. So I just copied the information from the LRDirect form into the spreadsheet from customs. Caused an annoying delay in my shipment (which is usually quick from LRDirect).
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

To this day I think Canadian customs suspects me of running an undercover Land Rover shop. Every time I've had another order of parts come in and I was self-clearing it, they questioned me why I need so many parts and I had to prove to them that I'm an individual and not a business. Having a rebuild thread on this forum helped me greatly - I just pulled up my rebuild thread and showed it to them every time....
Gotta love it when government shows extra love and care for ya by never being too cautious....
Old December 11th, 2017, 05:49 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Ensure you amke the pilgrimage to Safari HP during an open house. One on the 16th I believe. They have a boatload of old ex-MODs that are parts trucks, and half a warehouse of used parts.

Stuff like rads and fuel tanks from 2.5s are throwaways to a lot of guys going Tdi of LS.

Hows your cam belt and all fluids?

I am currently talking with a US vendor for new and a UK vendor for refurb bulkhead. Let me know if I should plan on ordering 2!

Where in SW FL are you?

Congrats on first drive to work, and back I presume. That is a milestone.
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:50 PM
kmagnuss
Mag
86' 110 pickup

Thanks. I’m in Englewood, FL... north of Fort Myers. Funny I was in Key West this weekend.
I’d definitely be interested in a bulkhead... let me know what the cost is going to be and if it makes sense I’ll definitely get one.
Thanks.

- Tarpon Fishing Charters
"Tarpon... Everything else is just bait"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags