Defender Source Forum banner

86' 110 pickup begins

Tags
2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  kmagnuss 
#1 · (Edited)
Just imported a 86 110 pickup (2.5 NA diesel) from the UK here to sunny Florida. Been lusting for a Defender since I was a kid, and this is close enough for me. It's got some battle scars and a lot of patina, but I love it just the same. Was a one owner truck since new and now has 167k miles. It's going to be a long term project for me but I hope to drive it as much as possible during the process. I don't plan on getting rid of the 'authenticity' of it, and plan to keep the shop decals on there as long as possible. Eventually I'll have to address the bulkhead and chassis, but for now it's just a bunch of small stuff for the most part. So here's the only two pictures I have of her so far... still on the shipping truck:

Looking forward to contributing to the site and banging that search button daily.

-Mag

See less See more
#4 ·
Good looking Landy, good LUCK with the forum search button lol. Drive the nuts off it and learn it before major changes.

#6 ·
Great truck!
"Demolish! Dismantle! Reclaim!" - a motto for a typical medieval knight or a Land Rover enthusiast, very appropriate :grin

#9 ·
Just imported a 86 110 pickup (2.5 NA diesel) from the UK here to sunny Florida. Been lusting for a Defender since I was a kid, and this is close enough for me. It's got some battle scars and a lot of patina, but I love it just the same. Was a one owner truck since new and now has 167k miles. It's going to be a long term project for me but I hope to drive it as much as possible during the process. I don't plan on getting rid of the 'authenticity' of it, and plan to keep the shop decals on there as long as possible. Eventually I'll have to address the bulkhead and chassis, but for now it's just a bunch of small stuff for the most part. So here's the only two pictures I have of her so far... still on the shipping truck:

Looking forward to contributing to the site and banging that search button daily.

-Mag
looks so much liken mine when it came in. love the legit graphics, id leave those def

#12 ·
Thanks guys. Drove it to work on Thursday. Found out the radiator has two holes in it and the fuel tank leaks like a siv above half full. Ordered a metric asston of parts from Paddock and I'll start chipping away at it while daily driving it hopefully.
Plan is to leave it "authentic"... decals and all. Love that thing. When the time comes to fix the bulkhead and such I'll try to somehow match the patina as best as possible.

-Mag

#13 · (Edited)
Check out LRDirect.com too for parts. Nice selection, good prices and lightning fast shipping. I was mostly dealing with them for my rebuild.

#14 ·
And when you order from outside the US, try to stay below the customs limit - maybe $600 or so? Break 'em into separate orders if necessary. They're idiots in customs and can't read. I received a phone call then email from customs asking for the customs classification of various items in my shipment (bearings, calipers, etc...) and, included in the email, was a copy of the form sent to customs from LRDirect with the customs classifications. So I just copied the information from the LRDirect form into the spreadsheet from customs. Caused an annoying delay in my shipment (which is usually quick from LRDirect).

#15 ·
To this day I think Canadian customs suspects me of running an undercover Land Rover shop. Every time I've had another order of parts come in and I was self-clearing it, they questioned me why I need so many parts and I had to prove to them that I'm an individual and not a business. Having a rebuild thread on this forum helped me greatly - I just pulled up my rebuild thread and showed it to them every time....
Gotta love it when government shows extra love and care for ya by never being too cautious....

#16 ·
Ensure you amke the pilgrimage to Safari HP during an open house. One on the 16th I believe. They have a boatload of old ex-MODs that are parts trucks, and half a warehouse of used parts.

Stuff like rads and fuel tanks from 2.5s are throwaways to a lot of guys going Tdi of LS.

Hows your cam belt and all fluids?

I am currently talking with a US vendor for new and a UK vendor for refurb bulkhead. Let me know if I should plan on ordering 2!

Where in SW FL are you?

Congrats on first drive to work, and back I presume. That is a milestone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.