84 ROW 90 project - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

84 ROW 90 project

Hey guys,
i finally got myself a defender! its a 1984 ROW d-90 with a 2.5 NA in it from a fellow board member. I am loving every second of it! I will be changing a lot of things to it but i want to have a stockish look!
It has its little things that need to be fixed. the transfer case has a leaky cover gasket. the rear axles weeps a bit. little things like that.
Here is what i will be doing:
disco axle swaps (from my old disco)
heavy duty stock height springs
NAS cage
winch bumper (suggestions? i might make one)
tuffy console (ordered)
NAS style snorkel (open to suggestions)
down the road will be a 200 TDI swap
and considering new paint? suggestions
also this is my second vehicle and both were land rovers! i am young and already have an obsession with these things. and i Couldn't be happier. this will be a learning experience for me as i just came out of a tech school for welding and metal fab. and i have been learning from my neighbor how to work on cars. so forgive me in advance because i am sure i will have some stupid questions to ask!
thanks for reading and i will update this as much as i can!
EDIT: the photo upload is not working so here is some picture via photobucket

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2011, 10:12 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Congrats!
Before doing any modifications I would focus on getting her mechanically solid. After that it looks like you've got alot of fun projects in mind. I think there are so many good resources here and you won't be on your own when doing them. Good luck!

Long Island has another 90 owner!
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

thanks!
yea i know i am not buying anything that doesnt need to be dont just yet i needed the tuffy console because the truck will be my DD and need to lock up some stuff. but i will be driving it for a month or so and fixed what needs to be done mechanically. and than slowly adding on things. its a slow project! thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2011, 02:45 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Just looking at the spare wheel cover.... did it come from/via Berkshire landrover?

If it did... i'd go over it with a fine tooth comb and look for faults/bodges/crappy work. they're renound for it over here.
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Just looking at the spare wheel cover.... did it come from/via Berkshire landrover?

If it did... i'd go over it with a fine tooth comb and look for faults/bodges/crappy work. they're renound for it over here.
oh are they? i honestly am not sure if it is, the PO buying it from a company that may have went over it. but so far i went under the frame and POR-15 it. and there were a few patches done tiny ones nothing big. and it also sounds like there is a little filler on the bulkhead by the passengers side window frame mount.
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

installed a tuffy console lastnight. and the new hella headlight conversions just came in today. will post up some pictures tomorrow.
also i have been thinking about my winch bumper, i might buy a used one and modify it to my likings. or i work at an Aluminum boat shop and i was thinking about talking to my boss and spending saturdays slowly making a winch bumper out of 1/4 inch aluminum! anybody ever do that? any suggestions?
Old August 21st, 2011, 04:43 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

well a bit of an update,
i changed the diff fluid, i replaced the transfer case gasket,i installed the tuffy console, and i put the Hella headlights.
i have been having a problem with the drivers side window not rolling down all the way unless the door was slammed very hard. so i took the door panel off today to see what was going on and one of the tracks the window sat in bend so it would hold the door up. while doing this repair i noticed the rust in the door was a lot worse than i thought... looks like i have some welding to do. or new doors to buy.

also my photo uploading thing still isnt working i dont know whats wrong with it? i press upload and it sits for a min or so and than says upload failed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags