83 110 coversion to soft top with cage. - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
charles, all the research that i have done points to disco series 1 wheels will work. but, you will most likely lose the center cap. the deep dish style is what i want to go with. did you send the email what is on my signature at the bottom of every posts. it should go thru and i do check my email daily. i don't use the yahoo acct any longer so that one was turned off. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ok, sounds like It might have gone to the wrong address then - I used whatever the site has on record (you don't get to see it).

I don't know about the deep dish rims, so do let us know how that works out. I'd still try test fit one on the front before buying.

charles
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mark,

Charles came out this weekend and we tried one of the "deep dish" on the rear hub. It does fit, you just loose the center cap as you indicated. Charles then tried it with a 30mm spacer I had lying around and that pushed it way too far out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
doug, thanks for the info. bidding on some right now on ebay. i'll post picks when i install them.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Just FYI, it's the fronts on my truck that bottomed out (the rears fit fine too).

If your front hubs do not stick out further than the rear then you will be ok, but if they do, then I do not believe the deep dish rims are any deeper where it matters.

Good meeting you this weekend Doug!

charles
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
First Mark, we need an update! How is it going? More pics please!

Second, here are some pictures I took to try describe the hub depth issue for alloys. It shows how my front hubs stick out about 0.5 inch more than the rears. The alloys fit on the rear, not the front. I suggest measuring yours.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/janeyWheels

hth
charles
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:14 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
All you need is longer wheel studs to fix the problem right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:17 AM
aricea
Aric Anderson
1987 OneTen 5-door Hard Top

Longer studs with the spacer rings might do the trick. If you've got the same hub clearance issue, another option (obviously) is going to non-LR wheels. I bought these 17" Pirelli alloys from George at RDS a few years back. They've got a more generous hub opening than the LR ones...

Good luck. Your project is looking good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OneTenRightSide.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	12045  
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
No Jim, as Aric says it's the hub opening size that needs to be bigger (well, deeper).

I'm willing to bet this has been solved 10 times over in the UK with aftermarket rims like the Pirelli's mentioned above.

Good looking truck Aric!

charles
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
jeff, thanks. now i can see it. did you just lighten his image?
side runners are installed now they fit like a glove and look factory correct. i have been trying to finish the wife's wrangler 95% done with her truck. jumped over to a disco i just bought. lifted it 2" and put 265's with steelies on. got a good deal on that truck. good winter driver. i hope to work on the 110 some more this week. hope those deep dish alloys show up soon. more to come.
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Mark, how's the conversion going? We need more pics!
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:24 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
put a hitch and rear steps on. fabbed up the bar to connect the t-supports yesturday. not installed yet but the bar is made and it will work and look great once i design and install the mounting brackets. cutting the second bracket design today. i will post some more pictures soon. i bought some used tuffy boxes for the rear. still waiting for the alloys i bought. think i am going to put 285's mtrs on them. i could use some running boards for this truck. it sits really high! wonder if i could trade my d90 running boards to someone for 110 boards? more to come soon.

Follow-up Post:

picture of new bar that will be installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0843.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	12222  
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
RDS had some of the "tomb radier" style running boards a while back. Those are the kind that are a single thicker tube, sit up tighter to the sill, and have chequer plate on top. I think they'd be a good look on a ST 110.

Is Chris at Badger making you a top?

Follow-up Post:

Oh, do you think you should paint the b-pillar above the door caps black? That way it would match the door tops. Just a thought.

Old February 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
wow jim, you must be a mind reader. i was just telling someone that i wanted to paint the b-pillars to match the rest of the cage.

i have 2 surrey tops that i am going to have stitched together once i get to that point.
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Looking good Mark!
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hey Mark, did you run into any issues with the spare tire carrier mounting brackets interfering with the rear tail light positions?

thanks
charles
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
no, that tail light was fine where it was. but, i did moved them down to where the reverse and red fog lights were. and i am using my rear work light as a reverse light. i had to move those down because of how the corner cage brackets mounted. doug's alloys look good on his 110. i can't wait until mine get here. i like that look alot better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0847.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	12237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0848.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	12238  

Old February 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
deep dish alloys mounted. the look makes a world of difference. kind of strange i put alloys on the 110 and steelies on the disco. more pics to come.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yes more pictures!

Mark, do you have your roll bar mounted yet? Have any close ups of the top of the B pillars?

I visited a friend with a tube bender this weekend to shoot some ideas off him for doing a "cheap" topless setup. The current plan is a simple hoop between the two pillars, and some internal bracing of the pillars. One thing that occurred to me was that the ears at the top of the pillar are going to look pretty darn weird.

I'd like to see how yours ends up looking, even though yours has all the other cage bits.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:16 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Charles,

We Just Got A Bunch Of Snow. I Will Get Some Shots Out When I Can. I Haven't Put The B-pillar Bar On Yet But It's Made. Moe To Come Soon. Still Looking For 6-7 Alloy Lugs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, cage, cover, soft top