72 series 3 88" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Maximal
Max
none

72 series 3 88"

I've been casually looking for a series project for a couple of months and decided to pull the trigger on this one. Almost all of the ones I looked at had decent bodies and junk frames/drivetrain. This one is the opposite, it has a newer galvy frame, chevy 250 swap, replaced springs and a fairey overdrive. However, the body needs a lot of loving. So far I haven't done much other than putting in a new clutch slave, which I actually did twice because I out it in upside the first time. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but the Scotty bell housing adapter pushes the slave cylinder directly above a frame crossmember which makes it very hard to get at. I need to bleed it again before I can try to actually drive it around.

Some pics...

Does anyone know if that bonnet alignment is correct? I feel like it has an unusually large gap between the bonnet and fenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM
l.a.rover
handy andy
73 Land Rover 88 Lightweight

Registry
nice!

glad to see that you are restoring a rover.... my only advice is that you get rid of the chevy motor cause all its going to do is cause you problems... instead drop in a 2 1/4 liter motor... the chevy is too much torque for the tranny and u joints
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.a.rover View Post
glad to see that you are restoring a rover.... my only advice is that you get rid of the chevy motor cause all its going to do is cause you problems... instead drop in a 2 1/4 liter motor... the chevy is too much torque for the tranny and u joints
Yea I've read that and it makes sense. On the other hand, I haven't seen any first hand accounts of it happening, not saying that it hasn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2014, 11:28 AM
l.a.rover
handy andy
73 Land Rover 88 Lightweight

Registry
this happen to me way before the internet exsisted!

i bought a 74 109 santana with scottys conversion... and i went through u-joints like i changed underwear! the coupe de gras was the tranny twisting breaking the tranny mounts and lifting the seat box!

nightmare! got rid of it ... last i heard someone had dropped in a 2 1/4 ltr...
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.a.rover View Post
this happen to me way before the internet exsisted!

i bought a 74 109 santana with scottys conversion... and i went through u-joints like i changed underwear! the coupe de gras was the tranny twisting breaking the tranny mounts and lifting the seat box!

nightmare! got rid of it ... last i heard someone had dropped in a 2 1/4 ltr...
Haha. Well now I am a believer.
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Put some new running lights on and busted out the gopro.

Brake pedal isn't returning, I'll try bleeding them tomorrow, hopefully I don't have to order a new MC. Truck is plated now so I've been causally driving it around.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:28 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

That's a nice one and good luck with your restoration! ...
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:19 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

You did the right thing by getting a Series with good bones!

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
I've been casually looking for a series project for a couple of months and decided to pull the trigger on this one. Almost all of the ones I looked at had decent bodies and junk frames/drivetrain. This one is the opposite, it has a newer galvy frame, chevy 250 swap, replaced springs and a fairey overdrive. However, the body needs a lot of loving. So far I haven't done much other than putting in a new clutch slave, which I actually did twice because I out it in upside the first time. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but the Scotty bell housing adapter pushes the slave cylinder directly above a frame crossmember which makes it very hard to get at. I need to bleed it again before I can try to actually drive it around.

Some pics...

Does anyone know if that bonnet alignment is correct? I feel like it has an unusually large gap between the bonnet and fenders.
Old April 24th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Maximal
Max
none

I haven't done too much lately as I don't have a garage while I'm school. I did bleed the brakes the other day, I now have a pedal on the second pump. Everything I have read says that this is most likely due to the snail cams needing to be adjusted. Hopefully I can get it sorted while here in cuse.
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Also in looking into putting disco axles under this at some point over the summer. Looking to do it for the brakes, stronger axle shafts and increased width between the wheels.

Will the stock brake booster work with the disco calipers?

Do you need to modify the props hafts to do this?
Old April 27th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You biggest issue is going to be the steering links and the leaf springs wanting to be in the same place.

Booster and master cylinder will be fine.

-Jeff
Yea I read that somewhere, I guys have had good luck using a 2" spacer to get the clearance.

I found a pretty decent bulkhead locally but is from a series 2 or 2a? Will this work on the series 3? With modifications? Without modification? Thanks for all of the help so far guys.
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Are these springs any good? Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:47 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
You will be fine with the 250 if you don't drive it hard. I had a 292 in my stock 109 and it did snap a rear half shaft when i drove it hard but if you use some restraint you should be fine.
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
You will be fine with the 250 if you don't drive it hard. I had a 292 in my stock 109 and it did snap a rear half shaft when i drove it hard but if you use some restraint you should be fine.
Thanks for the info. I have been driving it around and it doesn't seem that bad so I think if I'm not hammering on it from stop to stop it should be ok.

My dad has told me plenty of stories about breaking rear half shafts with the 4 banger when he had his, which is one of the reasons I want to put disco axles in.

------ Follow up post added May 5th, 2014 05:35 PM ------

Not sure if I posted this under my other thread for my old defender, but this picture always cracks me up. That's me at an AB rover rally maybe around 1990? I guess sometimes you have to stick to your roots.
Old May 27th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Maximal
Max
none

I've been busy working on the truck while I have time before I start my job.

Some updated pictures for you guys.

------ Follow up post added May 27th, 2014 01:22 PM ------

Also, four 235/85r16s should be here this week.
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Don't throw away ANY nuts, bolts or screws until you have sourced replacements for them -

Good luck! Looking a lot better already.
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Don't throw away ANY nuts, bolts or screws until you have sourced replacements for them -

Good luck! Looking a lot better already.
Most of the hardware for the seatbox was missing or unoriginal. What was left had to be cut off. I did my best to match the new hardware to OEM stuff though.
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Only a couple days left before I start work so I have been trying to get a lot done.

Here are some updated pictures.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:45 AM
Maximal
Max
none

Found some period correct cibie fogs w/covers and a warn belleview winch.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:47 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Not a fan of the black bumper bar - it will create more headaches for you if it is used as intended...seems like it would bend real quick.

Otherwise, nice work so far.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
series