6.0 LS into 110 Pickup, plus more! - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:46 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you have to have an auto box, I would try a divorce mount Dana 300. Has the correct drop and will take a Tera Low gear set, while being able to handle 400 plus HP. I think they are at least as good as an Atlas, although not as techy-pretty. Certainly tried and true. Rear output is centered, so your rear drive shaft will have to clear the chassis and make it to the right a wee bit. Prolly need a DC shaft. There's also a Morse type cable shifter available for it so you could still have the TC lever at or near the tunnel like the original.
There's a disc brake parking brake assembly available as well. Not a full time 4WD like the LT230, so on the road it would operate in 2WD.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
Have you thought about going with an orion transfer case? Its basically an Atlas with passenger drop outputs (from what I gather).

I'm sure a toyota transfer case has been adapted to a GM transmission once or twice. That way you get all the atlas goodies and you keep your driveshafts happy.

Dunno, that is what I've thought about doing if I keep my stock axles.
The Orion looks like a strong case, but it requires a donor Toyota case to build. I figure all said and done I'd be in for around 2k, and that's Atlas money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
If you have to have an auto box, I would try a divorce mount Dana 300. Has the correct drop and will take a Tera Low gear set, while being able to handle 400 plus HP. I think they are at least as good as an Atlas, although not as techy-pretty. Certainly tried and true. Rear output is centered, so your rear drive shaft will have to clear the chassis and make it to the right a wee bit. Prolly need a DC shaft. There's also a Morse type cable shifter available for it so you could still have the TC lever at or near the tunnel like the original.
There's a disc brake parking brake assembly available as well. Not a full time 4WD like the LT230, so on the road it would operate in 2WD.
The D300 is kind of my *other* backup plan. To my knowledge there isn't a kit out there to divorce it, so I'd have to have an adapter and spud shaft machined up. If I'm forced to divorce the case I'll just go 205. I'm pretty confident in this adapter to run the LT230, I just hope it's available sooner than later.
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Fair enough. Good luck! I hope the adapter works for you!

If not, the Atlas should make you smile when you can do front digs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Still waiting! Fortunately I'm a fairly patient individual, and I'm slowly piecing other components of the truck together. I originally planned to run the XTech wheels, but I came across a set of Freestyles that had been converted to beadlocks by Champion. I'm not crazy about the style of wheel, but they were too cheap to pass on. I'll see if I can church them up with a fancy rock ring and will either run them or toss them aside for use on the trail rig I plan to build after this one.

Old September 9th, 2013, 11:09 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I actually like the look of the ring on the Freestyle Ash! But then again, anything to church up Freestyles is good; I'm probably going to join the craze and paint mine matte black.

Lookin' forward to seeing this come together.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Really diggin those beadlocks
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
WTF? Seriously?

There have always been 'professionals' and shop owners on this site. Part of the appeal really. I hope this isn't a formal rule change.

-Jeff
I don't think there is/was any concern by anyone affiliated with the running of the site - first I have heard of it if there is. So not sure what you mean by rule change.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Really looking forward to seeing those beadlocks with some rubber on them
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't want anyone to be discouraged either which is why I am saying there is no rule change Who doesn't love a good build thread!

Ash will have to clarify otherwise I assume another forum member(s) must have had a concern, but no idea what.
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Sorry for the confusion! The issue was nothing regarding the forum or any rule change...just a certain entity who felt I was stepping on their toes by publishing the details of an LS conversion, despite the abundance of information on the topic. I didn't want Safari getting tied up in the ordeal, so my intention was to clarify that this was a personal project. I have since resigned from Safari and started my own operation, so it's a bit irrelevant at this point! But I digress.

I'm pretty excited about the wheels as well! They certainly need to be refinished, so I'm thinking I'll powdercoat them black to hide their features a little, then choose something a little brighter for the lock rings. I sketched up a quick design that I have seen and liked on other vehicles, but I'm still perusing the web and looking for inspiration.

The dashed lines represent the lug nuts for an idea of how much of the wheel will be covered.

Here's a couple of pictures of the wheels, both mounted an on a truck, for those of you interested. They do have a great look, however they're a little dated for my taste. Excuse the tiny cell-phone quality picture.

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:45 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Well, sell them to me then. .

You still working Rovers at your new job or are you back to the real world?
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Ha! I'll keep you in mind if I decide to ditch them.

I'm still doing Defenders. Bryan and I have some exciting projects on the table that I'll be documenting on the forum as they progress. Definitely keep an eye on this section.
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:03 PM
griffman
victor jones
1984 90 V8

hi guys

you need to contact marks 4wd adaptors in australia - just google him

he is very helpful.

he has adaptors for the chevy gearboxes to the LT230 transfer box, and also sbc to LR gearboxes

My advice would be the former - 4-speed with LT230 adaptor is about 1000usd
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Wonder if a later Dana 18 might be a better option. Sure it only has a 2.4 low range, but high range will be 1:1 and have the offset to work with the rover axles.

Question would be strength behind that big chevy engine, availability, and if you are cool with it. It bolts up to a TH400 so hopefully it would go behind that transmission??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags