6.0 LS into 110 Pickup, plus more! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
(meoooow!!)
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:10 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Thanks! How do you like the 690E in comparison?
Much better bike. No vibrations and is light like a actual dirtbike. still love the look of the 640adv.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
So, youre going to run a traditional centered rear axle then? Staks are serious business. Very cool.
I'm going to keep the right-side drop and see how long I can make the Salisbury last while I build something more serious to put under the truck. Most likely 9's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Much better bike. No vibrations and is light like a actual dirtbike. still love the look of the 640adv.
I only have experience on the SMC, but it felt a little cumbersome to me in comparison. I've actually been very satisfied with how nimble the 640 is, and after getting the suspension dialed in I can hang with buddies on their 450's even in some of the tighter stuff.

No real progress to show at this point; too busy with other projects at the shop to be able to spend time on my own. This weekend I'll continue to chip away at it, though. Next week I'll be sending the harness off to have the necessary modifications made for standalone use. I'll update when things start happening.

352-572-3236

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Fixed that for you
My own private Minion, hard at work saving my ass.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
We have a local club member who has transplanted several LSes into D's, both 90s and 110s.

I just drove one out in Ocotillo Wells a few months ago, I will tell you what, nothing makes your day like spinning all four tires off the line.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
So aside from the awesomeness that is about to be perpetuated in the rover, I gotta ask what has the cf hood behind the bike?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:42 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
So aside from the awesomeness that is about to be perpetuated in the rover, I gotta ask what has the cf hood behind the bike?
You mean the mitsu eclipse.........
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
You mean the mitsu eclipse.........
Indeed, it appears to be a DSM of some flavor-and I'll admit that after having a 355 hp (at the wheels...measured on an AWD dyno) I have a soft spot for them. Nothing beats trouncing some yuppie off the line in what they think is an RS. People can hate all they want...they're damn fun. Afterall, its not like you're getting speed in a truck that is as aerodynamic as a bread box.
r-
Ray
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSM-resize.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	75308
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:59 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I hear you on quick cars, I'm a little under 300awhp/300awtq in my S60R. I thought it was worth getting more out of it, but the 600RR is all the speed a need
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I hear you on quick cars, I'm a little under 300awhp/300awtq in my S60R. I thought it was worth getting more out of it, but the 600RR is all the speed a need
I hear ya...I'm still learning on two wheels but it's terrified me enough to assuage the speed need. I'm intrigued by the LS idea...smoking all the tires in a Rover sounds about 4 parts awesome, and 1 part insane. Will be great to see how it develops.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

That's Scott's GSX. Built motor, big turbo...I think he's shooting for something around 600whp. Should be a wild ride when it's done!

352-572-3236

Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:35 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Quote:
So, you are running a centered rear axle?
Yes, Currie Enterprises Ford 9" hi-pinions front and rear.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
My own private Minion, hard at work saving my ass.....
Anything I can do to help

Quote:
That's Scott's GSX. Built motor, big turbo...I think he's shooting for something around 600whp. Should be a wild ride when it's done!
Until crank walk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
Yes, Currie Enterprises Ford 9" hi-pinions front and rear.
Sweet choice.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Awesome! I've decided that the next transmission to go into my 109 will be a six speed auto (to replace the barely living 4 speed manual I've got right now) so I am extremely interested to see where this goes. However I would be looking for something in the ~200 hp range. Don't need 400hp in a series truck.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you on transfer case. An Atlas would be completely awesome but the LT230 would allow retaining of stock axles.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:37 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post

I'm kinda in the same boat as you on transfer case. An Atlas would be completely awesome but the LT230 would allow retaining of stock axles.
You're going to have to go with custom driveshafts regardless of transfer case because the 6L90 is considerably longer than the ZF, and especially your 4 speed. Any custom shop can make a shaft with the appropriate flanges as long as you tell them which box and axle you're using.

352-572-3236

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Quote:
You're going to have to go with custom driveshafts regardless of transfer case because the 6L90 is considerably longer than the ZF, and especially your 4 speed. Any custom shop can make a shaft with the appropriate flanges as long as you tell them which box and axle you're using.
Oh for sure. For something like this, basically everything before the pinion flanges will have to be redone/custom. Actually my driveshafts could stand replacing.

I will be interested to see how this powertrain sits in the chassis. Also will be interested in seeing how far back the rear output shaft is. Doing this in a LWB is sure to make things a little bit easier.

Anywho, you are awesome for doing this and keep on trucking!
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:21 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Bump. Any update? Extremely interested to see how this plays out!
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:05 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Subscribed... Keep it coming.

Have you considered swapping the 90e for an 80e? I think its shorter isn't it? Also the guy Neill mentions over in CA has/is working on what looks like its going to be a sweet adaptor for the 80e to LT230. Might cut out some work for you?
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
Bump. Any update? Extremely interested to see how this plays out!
I'm currently waiting to hear back on an adapter that will allow me to retain the LT230. Depending on turnaround times I may continue stripping the truck down to get the body off to paint, just to keep things rolling. If this prospect goes belly-up I'll just pull the trigger on an Atlas and move forward.

Aside from that I've been putting together a little parts list for the engine. I'll be ditching the truck manifold in favor of an LS3 car-style intake, just to clean up the appearance of the engine and gain a little clearance in case I want to set it higher. Weighing out a couple of different cam and header options as well.

There's certainly a lot of interest in this, and I will update this thread when anything happens. I plan to have this thing running and driving before the end of the year, so you guys shouldn't have to wait too long.

This build has also, evidently, created a bit of a stir amongst some of the builders on this site. To be clear this is a wholly personal project and has ZERO affiliation with any shop or entity, despite who I am employed by.

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2013 04:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Subscribed... Keep it coming.

Have you considered swapping the 90e for an 80e? I think its shorter isn't it? Also the guy Neill mentions over in CA has/is working on what looks like its going to be a sweet adaptor for the 80e to LT230. Might cut out some work for you?
From what I understand the 90 is marginally longer (1.5", IIRC) than the 80, which really is of no consequence in a 110. If I hadn't already purchased this setup I'd consider it, although the 90 is supposed to be a considerably stronger design.

As I said above, if I can't come up with a reasonable solution to keep the 230 I'll just ditch it. I think the idea of running it is neat, but if it's keeping me from progress I'll just get a box that works.
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Have you thought about going with an orion transfer case? Its basically an Atlas with passenger drop outputs (from what I gather).

I'm sure a toyota transfer case has been adapted to a GM transmission once or twice. That way you get all the atlas goodies and you keep your driveshafts happy.

Dunno, that is what I've thought about doing if I keep my stock axles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags