44kf04 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:20 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
44kf04

I bought this 110 in BC in October and had to wait until the year ticked over before I could bring it down. While it waited I replaced all the bushings , shocks, drive flanges and rear half shafts, got the starter rebuilt, and squared away some of the hacked up wiring loom. It runs and drives pretty nice so after getting the paperwork complete, I drove it about an hour home from the border and parked it in the garage.....where it immediately marked it's territory by dropping oil all over the floor! Thats gratitude for you.

Looks like it's a missing breather tube on the left side and I'm getting some blow by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
That's cool that it wasn't reg'd in the UK so it's still got its military plates. RAF?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Congrats! So you bought it! I have seen it listed for quite some time. Very good price! Enjoy it! and paint it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Not RAF, rumor has it the original owner after release really wanted a yellow defender. Kinda screwed it though as the re-spray was really thin and there is some corrosion on the bulkhead now.

The price was too good to pass up and I was lucky to grab it as there was a line-up. I've thrown a bunch of cash at it in the last few months and yes, it is a money pit, but it's a great way to spend the weekends getting it sorted. Bulkhead repairs and a new wiring loom are next....and tires.....and a new bumper......and a soft top.....and a 200tdi.....
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

more pictures! congrats!
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I think you forgot to mention doors! How are the doors and foot wells? Nice project. Are you bringing it back to RAf specs or make it more like a updated model?
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Doors are good. Drivers side rooftop is a bit wobbly so it may need to be replaced. Footwells look ok. Rear door has some corrosion but it haven't dug into that yet to see how deep.

Plans are to get it mechanically squared away, turn it into a soft top (the metal roof is stewed, it's been patched but leaks like a strainer) and go from there. Living this far from the UK makes a true military restoration a little daunting, sourcing parts and paying for shipping is already killing me, but I'll try to get it back to looking like a military rig and just see where it ends up.

I'd love to find a 200tdi and pas for it though.....anybody bringing them into the lower mainland we can trust?
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I just looked through some of my military prts books here, but your reg number falls between two of my books!

However, i've got a fair list (of that era of rovers, ** KE ** and ** KF ** registrations.... we had a few at my old unit) so have a look on the seatbox, on the outer edge, as you open the RH door (not sure if the plates were moved for LHD vehicles) but there should be a riveted on ali plate, with the reg number, the VIN, the contract number and the NSN.

If it's there, PM me the numbers over, i'll have a look and see if it matches up with any data I've got here.... I might be able to find the original use (army, navy or RAF) and it's original use and some spec.

cheers

Jamie
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Top is off. Bulkhead is going to be difficult. Might have to source another. I have some repair panels from YRM but finding someone who has the skill to make it happen locally might be a little tough.

Jamie - Sorry I haven't checked the thread lately. PM is in your box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0559.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	49142  
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:28 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
It's been over a year but I am still plugging along. I was away at work until January so I wasn't able to get much done. Now that I'm back home, I'm steadily getting some work done. Mind you, I have no idea what I'm doing....relying in friends with way more mechanical skill than I'll ever have.

Front end is off...

Bulkhead off - welded and mocked up for a test fit

I picked up some KM2's (255/85/16) for cheap, got the Wolf rims coated

seatbox is off, right outrigger is a bit dinged up

New Sceptre fuel cans....Canada is only a few feet away.....

Bulkhead is done and painted but I need to figure out what to coat the frame with first and get started on that before I mount it.

I'd like to remove the tub.....I need to remove the tub.....but as you all know, once you start peeling the onion.....

A few questions to those who've been where I am:

Advice on small parts to complete the bulkhead restoration - What do I need in what order?

Advice on simplest way to remove the tub? Or just leave it and clean and coat the frame from the bottom?

At this point I don't even know what I'm in for so wish me luck! I wish I had a bigger budget to make this go faster but we're getting there.
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:32 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Just scored a new windscreen and tailgate! Appears NTO. Now I need hinges.....
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:04 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
....and a WMIK grill on the way! Good rover day!
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:21 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Looking great man, really I would pull the tub! Clean and seal the entire frame, have it blasted powder coated or galvanized. You have gone this far with the bulk head and that is way worse then the tub. I set up a pulley system in my garage to pull the tub, I rolled the chassis out and then lowered the tub on to a wood cart that I made. Only you can tell how deep you want this rabbit hole to go!! That's the best part of the whole thing! By pulling the tub you can see what your frame truly looks like, it also makes it a lot easier to do the work faster and more efficiently. I would recommend por15 rust converter and chassis paint, they well worth the investment! Take care, as for ordering parts you have to figure out what you can reuse and what you have to replace. I took six months of just ordering parts before I even touched my truck, it made the build go much faster. Cheers man have fun with it!!
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:46 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry

Took a bit but got it off today with some help. Time to start cleaning. Half of Alberta seems to be stuffed into my rear crossmember but no rot as far as I can tell right now!
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Brain, can I bother you for another picture just like the one captioned "seatbox is off, right outrigger is a bit dinged up" now that the tub is off, and also a close up picture and perhaps some dimensions of the bracket that mounts the front of the tub to the two brackets in the center of the frame?

Thanks,
charles
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:27 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Nice looking truck, my D90 was 66KF18 in her previous life as a RAF run around. I have quite a few bits & bobs left over from the current truggy rebuild plus a whole box of mushroom light lenses etc. PM me if you need anything. We'll be down in WA last week of June for the NWOR @ Levenworth, could bring some bits then.

Cheers,
Andy

My rebuild is here : http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36827
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:56 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Everything is down to the rolling frame now and I've been working with a small sandblaster, wire wheel and brush to get the scale off. I got talked into using "Zero-Rust" to coat the frame.....not sure how I like it as I haven't ever used anything else.

Have any of you used this product? I was looking for something simple and easy to apply without taking the thing down to a bare frame but this makes me think I'm buying a super expensive can of Rustoleum.

I'll post pictures when I can.
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:01 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Ospho

Have used Ospho for 30+ years.
As I recall, it is a phosphoric acid that converts iron oxide to iron phosphate or something similar.
You paint over this when it dries and rust is gone as long as the paint holds out.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...g#.UbpAhOe1Fcw

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:23 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
I bought something similar and used it on soem areas I haven't hit yet with the Zero-Rust. Haven't had a chance to check it yet but I will during my lunch break. Ospho looks like it's a lot less expensive that what I'm using so I'll need to go grab some.
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:22 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
What ended up being the hang up on the tub?

-Jeff
Other than me?

I missed the added tubb support crossmember that attaches the two interior shelves of the side lockers. lines ran over it on the left side so everything had to be unbolted unfortunately.

------ Follow up post added June 13th, 2013 04:25 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Brain, can I bother you for another picture just like the one captioned "seatbox is off, right outrigger is a bit dinged up" now that the tub is off, and also a close up picture and perhaps some dimensions of the bracket that mounts the front of the tub to the two brackets in the center of the frame?

Thanks,
charles
Sorry, I got busy at work and forgot about your pics. Still need them? I'll snap some in the morning and see about getting them posted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores