4 trucks at the same time. (Two) 1987 RHD to LHD conversions and Puma Upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 13th, 2016, 11:59 PM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen
1995 RRC LWB, 1987 Defender 110,

4 trucks at the same time. (Two) 1987 RHD to LHD conversions and Puma Upgrade

In the process of ground up re-builds of two '87 Defender 110s where I was going to cannibalize my old 1995 Classic LWB. But Uncle Douglas convinced me not to send the classic out to pasture. I fell in love with it again and so now the 95 LWB is in for a complete makeover. I had to rebuild the engine several years ago because of a pulled sleave, and the engine has been strong and reliable ever since.
Now that my donor engine, transmission and axels found a second life, I purchased two 1998 Discovery 1's to serve as the donor for the Defenders. As a bonus, one of these LE Discovery's has beautiful interior that I'm moving over to my Classic LWB.
HELP:
This is where I need some help. New Richards Chassis is a V8. Assuming that a 4.0 or 4.6 Discovery Engine bolts right up. But does the automatic transmission also do the same or do I need a shorter bell housing? This is where I'm confused. I can't easily find discussions on the board through search, so please post or link to them.
Also wondering if I can bring over the Discovery gas tank? What about pulling the entire ECU/Wiring loom and using that as well?

Attached is a picture of the LWB going in for a face lift. The best part of the whole process is to see that there is no rust on the car to begin with. After pictures soon.
Now for the Defender Rebuilds:
Imported two RHD Defender 110s' Again with help from Uncle Douglas. One of them was in pretty bad shape, but at least it's titled and papered in Texas now. I've stripped out the inside, removed the seat box, and stripped the paint off of the rear quarter panels, roof and front fenders. I have a container with 5 new galvanized doors, a Puma hood, LHD Puma Bulkhead a Galvanized Richards Chassis and all new Exmoor Trim seats On it's way. for one of the 110's.
4.0 engine and transmission along with wheels/axles from a 1998 Discovery one.

The other 110 is getting new doors and will get a rebuilt 4.6 Discovery engine and Auto transmission and also get the axles and wheels from a Discovery 1.

Forth project simultaneous to these is a 1961 Series II SWB. I also have a new Galvanized Richards Chassis, 3 new doors, new fenders on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2016, 12:13 AM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen

The 95 LWB in for paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2016, 12:29 AM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen

pictures

95 RRC LWB in for paint.
http://i.imgur.com/0sXiRNJ.jpg

The Seats from the Discovery 1 for my LWB RRC.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Current status of the first 110 frame up rebuild. Still stripping paint and interior out.
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:42 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Very nice. Love that color on the LWB. Avalon?

If you are going all out, pull the rivets on the tailgate cap before paint and put in some up-rated lift tabs. I have to connection to the seller, just not a lot of people know yet that these are available.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...abs-69068.html
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Greg, does your wife know about all this? And if she does, does she have a sister?
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:39 AM
vrivas
Victor Rivas
1994 D90

That is absolutely amazing, looking forward to watching all 4 come along. Best of luck!
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:55 PM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Greg, does your wife know about all this? And if she does, does she have a sister?
Daddymow, you may be the only one I've met that lets your wife know how much you spend on your rovers!!!
Old April 14th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipitimi View Post
In the process of ground up re-builds of two '87 Defender 110s where I was going to cannibalize my old 1995 Classic LWB. But Uncle Douglas convinced me not to send the classic out to pasture. I fell in love with it again and so now the 95 LWB is in for a complete makeover. .

Best news I've read all day... good for you(and the LWB)!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old April 14th, 2016, 02:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The V8 and auto bolt right up. Talk to Uncle Douglas about it, but you may even be able to get by without the defender NAS style crossmember. You will want to use 300tdi/NAS/V8 5 speed rear driveshaft -- the disco I front driveshaft will fit fine.

You want the entire engine harness and ECU. You can use the disco I fuel tank, but the frame and mounts need to be set up for the plastic tank.
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:12 PM
One Ten
Sam
1995 NAS SW

You're not going to make a disco 1 plastic fuel tank work on a 110 frame unless you do some serious chopping on your frame. I've been down that road. Get the right plastic tank made for a 110. You'll also need a disco 2 style clamping ring and gasket to hold in the fuel pump assembly.
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:08 PM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
You're not going to make a disco 1 plastic fuel tank work on a 110 frame unless you do some serious chopping on your frame. I've been down that road. Get the right plastic tank made for a 110. You'll also need a disco 2 style clamping ring and gasket to hold in the fuel pump assembly.
Thanks for the info. The plastic tank is almost $1000 and I was hoping for a little more affordable. I will look at clamping rings.
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The metal RRC NAS 110 tank should be much cheaper.
Old April 15th, 2016, 12:46 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Two issues:
The shifter moves to the top of the seat box.
You can get around that with the lokar adapter, but the shifter location messes up and center console plans you may have.
I think the Ashcroft consoles may be unobtanium now.
Issue #2 is the transmission crossmember. You'll need to modify it or modify the d1 unit.
Old April 15th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Daddymow, you may be the only one I've met that lets your wife know how much you spend on your rovers!!!
Ha! You mean ex-wife. We get along fine now she has no idea.
Old April 15th, 2016, 10:12 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I tell mine how much I spend. She also reminds me how much I spend on it.
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:03 AM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Two issues:
The shifter moves to the top of the seat box.
You can get around that with the lokar adapter, but the shifter location messes up and center console plans you may have.
I think the Ashcroft consoles may be unobtanium now.
Issue #2 is the transmission crossmember. You'll need to modify it or modify the d1 unit.
Any Pictures? Is there a shorter bell housing? I've looked at the Lokar, but don't fully know how that looks or works.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2016 01:11 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The V8 and auto bolt right up. Talk to Uncle Douglas about it, but you may even be able to get by without the defender NAS style crossmember. You will want to use 300tdi/NAS/V8 5 speed rear driveshaft -- the disco I front driveshaft will fit fine.

You want the entire engine harness and ECU. You can use the disco I fuel tank, but the frame and mounts need to be set up for the plastic tank.
Can you point me to any threads on the matter or describe yours? Where do you put the ECU?
Courtney10ve
Old April 28th, 2016, 11:09 PM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen

1995 RRC LWB Update

The RRC has undergone extensive body work. Major windows removed and now in for final spray.

One of the 1998 Discovery I LE's I have as a donor vehicle had extremely nice interior leather. I enlisted the help of my two boys in removing the seats for transplant into the LWB when paint is complete.

I also began the process of preparing to re-wrap the rear pillars with new vinyl. The first step was to remove the metal push nuts from the plastic grill that is inserted, I tried every way possible to wiggle and twist them off, but feared that I would break the plastic posts, so I ultimately resorted to cutting them off.
Then I treated them with some paint remover to get the old glue off. I then decided that I can always put the vinyl back on, but won't always have the opportunity to paint them easily. Besides, having them painted actually gives it a more retro look to the early days of the classic, so after cleaning them up, I took them to the body shop. Now I need any ideas or advice on how to make the plastic grill/vent look shiny and new again? Paint or some type of dye? I tried mothers restoration lotion but it didn't do anything,
For reference, here are two photos of essentially the same color vehicle, one early original with painted rear posts, and the later models where they were wrapped in vinyl.
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Where did you find the vinyl? I have a pair I need to redo. I thought about painting too but I like the black.
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:10 PM
ipitimi
Greg Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
Where did you find the vinyl? I have a pair I need to redo. I thought about painting too but I like the black.
I matched it to the type of marine vinyl that was used and the type of glue needed. I bought it from a wholesale provider, so I got a great price on it.
I am happy to share all the details of the brand and make including pictures so you can see the match on the pattern, but I have it written down at home.

I'm also more than happy to give you a great deal on what I have (new unused) if you want, and it will save you the time shopping, driving and money if you want to buy mine. You can pay the exact price I paid and I'll cover shipping. The wholesale supplier is near my office, so if I ultimately decide to wrap them, I can get anytime. Let me know. Here is a picture of the pattern which matches the current pillars.
Old April 29th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Marine vinyl. Wonder if that would work instead of hardura on seat boxes etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
conversion, discovery transmission, lhd, puma bulkhead, rhd, rrc lwb