300Tdi Won't Start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:15 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
300Tdi Won't Start

I got the truck back over a month ago. The engine started fine via direct connections from ignition to fuel solenoid and starter.

After struggling with the electrical harness for a month, finally got it working the way it is supposed to, but with temporary connections.

To test this, we actually started and stopped the engine, and saw that lights and systems were working. 1/2 hour later, after a quick dinner break, I go back out and now the engine won't start.

It cranks.
The fuel solenoid activates.
It had more than 3 gallons of diesel in the tank, and I've run it for about 30-40 minutes, at most.

That's all I know.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Step 1 is to check that you have a fuel supply. Disconnect line after fuel filter and put in bucket. Disconnect the solenoid wire. Crank engine. You should get a lot of fuel flow.

If that is okay, then I would pull the solenoid and look for debris.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You must be ready to hit your head against in iron block....

I feel frustrated for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2016, 01:17 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
To be clear, the line from fuel filter to the fuel distributor? Disconnect at distributor pump and see if lift pump is pushing through?

Yes. I'm getting fuel. In fact the electric pump is sending quite a bit through when key is just in run position. Should this be disabled?

1965 IIa SWB
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
To be clear, the line from fuel filter to the fuel distributor? Disconnect at distributor pump and see if lift pump is pushing through?

Yes. I'm getting fuel. In fact the electric pump is sending quite a bit through when key is just in run position. Should this be disabled?
Still not sure why you are running a push pump, but yes remove the 12v pump for the moment.

confirming the problem as: Engine turns over but will not catch? (not expecting timing or damage in the solution)

Assuming a stock fuel system, check these in order:
Fuel is present post lift pump (manual operation of lift pump is sufficient)
Fuel filter is full, clean, and inlet/outlet are clear
Fuel is present at IP inlet (slacken banjo bolt and pump until fuel flows to verify)
Fuel is present at the injectors (remove stop solenoid lead, crack hard-line to injector and turn over engine) ***
Injectors are not clogged (off truck testing)

*** I suspect the stop solenoid is not getting power - check with multimeter to verify 12v is present with the key in BOTH the run position and the ignition position
Old June 27th, 2016, 03:49 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

There is no need to disconnect the 12V pump.

Agreed that the fuel shutoff solenoid is the likely culprit.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 27th, 2016, 03:54 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
  • Assuming a stock fuel system, check these in order:
    • Yes. Electric pump is there because it's there. Can I assume that just unplugging it is OK for now? This is how it has been running in past.
  • Fuel is present post lift pump (manual operation of lift pump is sufficient)
    • Yes.
  • Fuel filter is full, clean, and inlet/outlet are clear
    • Assuming yes, because fuel flow is good. How do I check for full? Bleed screw at top of filter?
  • Fuel is present at IP inlet (slacken banjo bolt and pump until fuel flows to verify)
    • IP = Injector Pump? (Sorry, this is all new to me still....) Not sure which banjo you are referring to. I have confirmed that there is fuel getting all the way to the injector pump when engine is cranked.
  • Fuel is present at the injectors (remove stop solenoid lead, crack hard-line to injector and turn over engine)
    • Will check
  • Injectors are not clogged (off truck testing)
    • Injectors were newly refurbished. Don't know how to test.
  • I suspect the stop solenoid is not getting power - check with multimeter to verify 12v is present with the key in BOTH the run position and the ignition position
    • Will check.
Thanks,

1965 IIa SWB
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:12 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK. I think I got it working correctly now. I'm pretty sure it was just my broken ignition switch. It was putting voltage out, but once turned to start, it must not have been making contact anymore.

Re-re-fixed it and I'm able to get engine started as before.

Thanks for he help.

I'm heading off to the UK on Thursday, but except for that, I feel like I can now start actually rebuilding this thing proper.

1965 IIa SWB

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
300tdi, start, tdi