300Tdi Disco DailyDriver-Expedition Build - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IMHO, don't bother with lockers, that will save you the expense of having to go through the rigmarole of buying uprated drivetrain components.

I didn't see rock crawling on your list, so why bother A winch with a long line will get you out of most situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I have the landy lubber kit...not a bad piece. Haven't installed it of course

I prefer mantec snorkels, look is great & original and quality is there.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Just drive the thing for a little bit and figure out what kind of trails you will really go on.

The disco is pretty good stock and you can have plenty of fun and retain some of the stock reliability VS adding a bunch of junk that is going to break. If you go above 2” lift you will open a can of worms that gets expensive to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:21 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I have the landy lubber kit...not a bad piece. Haven't installed it of course

I prefer mantec snorkels, look is great & original and quality is there.
I think I may just go that route

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
IMHO, don't bother with lockers, that will save you the expense of having to go through the rigmarole of buying uprated drivetrain components.

I didn't see rock crawling on your list, so why bother A winch with a long line will get you out of most situations.
Good to know. If I do them it will be down the line. No rock crawling expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
So my thoughts from the D1 owner perspective:

Old Man Emu HD Kit: Good, get 2" and be done
Dislocation Cone - Rear: Retain vice cones, but thats personal pref
Dislocation Cone - Front: See above. EE has a great kit.
Spring Retainer HD - Rear
Spring Retainer HD - Front
Old Man Emu Steering Damper: sure
Alloy Protection Skid Plate: Sure, also do HD steering components
ARB Winch Bar for Disco 1 w/ SRS: many better bumpers than this, for sale, on Dweb right now.
Hella 500 Driving Lamp Kit: 4k's or 4k compacts (depending on bumper)
WARN XD9000 Winch: ok, I'm a superwinch guy but this doesn't matter too much.
ARB Safari Snorkel 300Tdi: Mantec looks much better...IMHO
Landy Lubber 5 Way Breather Manifold
Brownchurch Full Length Roof Rack: SD looks much better...IMHO
Heavy Duty Rear Bumper: tough to find these cheap.
BF Goodrich All Terrians 235/70/16 (x5) Looking into new sizes and tires: go 245/75/16 KM2
Wrap around Diff covers (x2): Do sewercaps if you can

Another thing I'd advocate for is consider dual battery and battery mgmt, also upgrade your headlight harness to the ARB.

Lots of info on Dweb for the technical aspects, lots of build threads on ExpO for D1's. Best to keep your mods simple and clean; the 10 commandments of things not to do to an ExpO rig" is worth looking at.
r-
Ray
I just read that last night.
Might be PMing you a bit when the build starts
I have always heard of WARN, so thats what I put in the list. Do not know much either way.
Who is EE?

------ Follow up post added January 22nd, 2014 02:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Just drive the thing for a little bit and figure out what kind of trails you will really go on.

The disco is pretty good stock and you can have plenty of fun and retain some of the stock reliability VS adding a bunch of junk that is going to break. If you go above 2” lift you will open a can of worms that gets expensive to fix.
Don't plan to go over the 2'' lift.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:25 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
Good to know. If I do them it will be down the line. No rock crawling expected

I just read that last night.
Might be PMing you a bit when the build starts
I have always heard of WARN, so thats what I put in the list. Do not know much either way.
Who is EE?
Def do the lockers later; learn on a stock (or near stock) truck and invest in a winch-you will be good to go.

EE = expedition exchange.

PM away; most of my stuff is over on ExpO in my build thread there but happy to help however I can.
r-
Ray
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I didnt see extended breathers on the list. IMO if you are planning on having all this stuff 'done' your best to not venture far off the beaten path. By building it yourself, you will have a better understanding of how to fix it in the wild. I see it as part of the education that you need to travel safely.

-Jeff
I know what you mean. I plan to do most of the work with a friend of mine expect for the snorkel. This is something I find it best to trust a pro.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:36 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
archaic and moist.
Two words rarely joined by a conjunction
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This is the 2nd use of the word "moist" in 24 hours...wtf?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...9&postcount=13
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would not recommend dislocation cones. I much prefer retained springs.

Also, a safari snorkel is really easy to install. I put one on a DII when I was about 15 and had no experience working on cars. Now, thanks to owning a Land Rover, I am a "professional" Land Rover mechanic.
Old January 24th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Who is EE?
This makes me think you have very little off-road experience.

Before dumping a lot of money in to the Disco I strongly suggest driving it pretty much stock for 6 months to a year to become knowledgeable about it's strong point and weak points. Maybe a 2" lift and decent tires, since you can't get in to too much trouble with that. I haven't driven the Trans-America Trail but from what I've seen and read it appears it could likely be done end to end in a stock Disco.

More importantly, since the Disco is new to you, I'd go through a complete service, everything in the owners maintenance list. A lot of stuff on that list typically gets overlooked. It would suck to spend gobs of money on all the stuff in your list and then have something like a hub bearing fail because you neglected to spend money on the very basics. This will also help you familiarize you with your vehicle.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old January 24th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Absolutely agree with Tom. Reliability is the most important attribute of an overland vehicle. 100% of your focus should be refreshing unknown or suspect wear items before the first accessory is added.

I think you should focus on the following if you don't know for a "fact" that the age of the item is reasonably new. If it were new to me, I would do these items in this order.

-new battery
-all new coolant hoses to include every potential weak link (like the heater hoses)
-new timing belt with updates (unless you know it's under 50k for a fact)
-new fuel filters (and always carry a spare)
-new serpentine belt
-have wheel bearings inspected for any play
-inspect brake pades and rotors
-inspect all suspension bushings and replace as needed
-check fill level of transmission,transfer case and axles (don't assume they are full)
-new air filter
-have a knowledgeable diesel mechanic that knows TDI's check your injection pump timing and adjust your valve clearances.
-grease all driveshaft ujoints and check for play. replace if any play at all
-put in new fuel stop solenoid
-install first accessory on my wish list

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 24th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ok: it's clear to me that the OP is new to Land Rover and reading his shopping list is like going back to the late 1990's when equipping your truck was done by imitating The CT Discos from the RN/ABP/SG mailings. We really didn't have the internet back then.

I owned a 1995 D1 from new until it died of body rot. The extreme off road set up then for a D1 was a two inch lift with 245/75-16. I was the first lunatic who decided to put 750-16 under a disco in this area.
Given what I've read do far I don't think you have any sense of the condition if your vehicle. Either physically ie body or mechanically (electrical and mechanical). Neither do I think you've ever driven off road.
You need to start by finding a trustworthy shop and local off road club. Spend the next year or two learning your truck. Learning how to drive it learning how to get out if crappy stucks on your own. Go to off road schools. Build experience then discover if it's for you. And how little vehicle equipment you really need. And how much you need to stay alive.

Just because your credit card can handle it doesn't mean you can.

Cos when you're out there, on your own, with nobody in radio communication with you and stuck you need to know how to handle that situation mentally and physically.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 24th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
This makes me think you have very little off-road experience.

Before dumping a lot of money in to the Disco I strongly suggest driving it pretty much stock for 6 months to a year to become knowledgeable about it's strong point and weak points. Maybe a 2" lift and decent tires, since you can't get in to too much trouble with that. I haven't driven the Trans-America Trail but from what I've seen and read it appears it could likely be done end to end in a stock Disco.

More importantly, since the Disco is new to you, I'd go through a complete service, everything in the owners maintenance list. A lot of stuff on that list typically gets overlooked. It would suck to spend gobs of money on all the stuff in your list and then have something like a hub bearing fail because you neglected to spend money on the very basics. This will also help you familiarize you with your vehicle.
Exactly. This is an American market truck that has had a diesel and trans swapped into it by somebody, somewhere. Drive it around and see what happens over time. I bet there are going to be a lot of 'why the hell did they do this' sort of things that pop up. It is those things that could end a trip to the supermarket, not just a road trip of many miles. Getting a used truck and then creating a catalog wish list is a ton of fun and really gets the wheels cranking. You then forget to concentrate on the things that really matter. I think that there is someone on here that has a swapped D1 and something as simple as the aftermarket radio install was killing the battery. That is the kind of stuff you need time feel out. It would be dumb if you just dropped $700 on a bumper/ winch and realized that your injectors are leaking and need a rebuild. Stuff like that can only be seen with actual driving/ seat time. Looking at the catalog, 'I have a huge credit limit' builds on Expo can make you think you "need" a lot of stuff that you do not.

Wasnt the trail done by LR in stock LR4s recently? Didnt they run it on 19s with a hide a winch?

Snorkels are cool but are they really necessary?
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:06 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
My list looked like this right after I bought my defender. Then I drove it for a few months, realized I didn't have time to take it off-road all that much and my priorities for the vehicle changed dramatically. I think the underlying theme coming from the board members is to drive it for a few months before you take the truck one direction or another.
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:18 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Also, a safari snorkel is really easy to install. I put one on a DII when I was about 15 and had no experience working on cars. Now, thanks to owning a Land Rover, I am a "professional" Land Rover mechanic.
I guess I can do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
-new battery
-all new coolant hoses to include every potential weak link (like the heater hoses)
-new serpentine belt
-have wheel bearings inspected for any play
-check fill level of transmission,transfer case and axles (don't assume they are full)
-new air filter
-have a knowledgeable diesel mechanic that knows TDI's check your injection pump timing and adjust your valve clearances.
-grease all driveshaft ujoints and check for play. replace if any play at all
I will get on this ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Ok: it's clear to me that the OP is new to Land Rover
Neither do I think you've ever driven off road.

You need to start by finding a trustworthy shop and local off road club. Spend the next year or two learning your truck. Learning how to drive it learning how to get out if crappy stucks on your own. Go to off road schools. Build experience then discover if it's for you. And how little vehicle equipment you really need. And how much you need to stay alive.
I am new to LR, this is my first . I had an Toyota FJ before this.
I'm going to take some offense to your assumption that I have never been off road. I have been off road, granted nothing serious, but I have.
I am looking around for clubs in the Oklahoma area, already reached out to one. I do need to find an off road school though.

------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2014 12:20 PM ------

So far I have only ordered the lift, underbody protection and snorkel/breather. I am going to hold off on the bumper and winch until I have checked the Disco over and driven a bit.
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
I do need to find an off road school though.
Off road school? Get in your Disco, drive off road and learn. Maybe watch a few videos on YouTube but going to any sort of 'school' is overkill for the kind of terrain you've indicated you'll be running
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
-new battery
-new serpentine belt
-have wheel bearings inspected for any play open the hub. Nearly dry bearings can have no play
-new air filter
-grease all driveshaft ujoints and check for play. replace if any play at all U-joints are cheap, just replace them. Then grease them correctly. Neglected maintenance can really shorten their life even though they may appear ok
To be clear, there's a lot more in the maintenance list that should be done, which would pretty much cover all of the above aside from the battery and fuel stop solenoid.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Thanks for the clarification Tom. I gave the inner seals the finger long ago and run wet hubs.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:19 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The single most important piece of equipment is the blob of protein located center and just above your ears. Technique and experience trumps a crapload of the poser bolt-ons available. Knowing how to get unstuck, avoid stucks, and repairing (self inflicted) trail damage will get you further along than relocation cones and tall springs.
Frankly, the diesel will make you look like you are way more skilled than you are if you allow it to.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
[QUOTE=IvanKV;501329]I just bought Oliver, a 1997 Disco 300Tdi/R380 and I am going to turn him into a Daily/Expedition truck. Below are my plans/parts list; any advice and/or suggestions would be great! Will post pictures as the build continues.

Old Man Emu HD Kit INSTALLED
Dislocation Cone - Rear TO BE RETURNED
Dislocation Cone - Front TO BE RETURNED
Spring Retainer HD - Rear INSTALLED
Spring Retainer HD - Front INSTALLED
Terrafirma Shock Towers INSTALLED
Old Man Emu Steering Damper TO BE EXCHANGED
Alloy Protection Skid Plate
ARB Winch Bar for Disco 1 w/ SRS
IPF 901XD Driving Lamp Kit
WARN VR 10,000 Winch
MUDUK POD
ARB Safari Snorkel 300Tdi
Landy Lubber 5 Way Breather Manifold
Wrap around Diff covers (x2)

Brownchurch Full Length Roof Rack
Access Ladder Rear
VDO EGT Gauge 300Tdi
Heavy Duty Rear Bumper
HELLA 4000 Driving Lamp Kit
HELLA 4000 Fog Lamp Kit
HELLA 4000 Wiring Harness
Contura II Blue Light Rocker
ARB Air Locker - 24 Spline (x2)
ARB Air Compressor
BF Goodrich All Terrians 235/70/16 (x5) Looking into new sizes and tires
Disco 1 Steel Wheels (x5)
Limestone or White Paint Job
Discovery 1 Bonnet Blackout Decal

Made some changes to the list and included some BEFORE/AFTER pictures with the OME HD lift install. The ride feels soooo much better now, the old suspension was soft and worn out, springs compressed and the shocks were dead.

Next week the bumper, winch and steering rods will go on.
Rovers North sent me the wrong OME Steering Damper so I need to get that exchanged, then that and the skid plate will go on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After OME Lift (2).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	91913   Click image for larger version

Name:	After OME Lift (1).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	91914  

Name:	Terrafirma ST (1).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	91915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrafirma ST (2).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	91916  

Name:	OME Lift Front.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	91917   Click image for larger version

Name:	OME Lift Rear.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	91918  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
300tdi, disco, expedition, tdi