300 TDI in a Series 88 coiler - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 7th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Jeremy Buck
1972 Series III 88
300 TDI in a Series 88 coiler

I'm in the process of building a Series III 88" coiler and the diesel bug has hit me bad. My first choice would be a 200 TDI for fitment reasons, however I have come across a 300 TDI with a manual pump that is within my grasp financially. What would I have to do transmission, bellhousing, T-case wise to cram this in. I know that the 300 mates to the R380. Is that any R380, can I get one from a US Disco, put on the 300 bellhousing and slap it together? As for bellhousings it seems like the 300 one is longer. Is this going to make it so that I won't be able to keep my Series breakfast and still have enough room to fit a rear driveshaft? I know that the mounts are different, but general fabrication issues like motor mounts, plumbing, and such don't bother me. What I am mainly looking to know is if the 300 is a viable candidate to put into an 88" or if I should save myself alot of grief and look for different options? Any input would be appreciated. - Jeremy

Old January 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
I've seen a 2.8 installation where it was "shortened up" by using a V8 r380, but I forget which bellhousing was used (the v8 box has a shorter input shaft). I know ECR has put a couple 300s in series trucks, so a quick browse of their site might reveal something.

Old January 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
A 200 fits easier.
The 300 is harder to install in a stock looking Series.
If you do a Defender nose you won't have much trouble with either. The PITA comes from trying to keep the stock front bodywork.

To keep the drivetrain short use a 4 cyl 50A R380 and modify the bell-housing for the Tdi ( much shorter than the V8 or the Tdi bellhousing).

Save yourself a ton of hassle and do a Defender nose. Been there, done that.
Email: info@eastcoastrover.com
I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
or you can get the 300 to bolt up to the short 200 tdi lt77 by switching the clutch cover assembly to 200 tdi parts. that will set the engine much further back and should fix your breakfast clearance issues.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old January 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor
I used the shorty bell housing in my series coiler. It has a perkins prima TDI in it though. The short bell housing lt77 is mated to an lt-230 which fits fine under the series truck. I then used an early lt77 seat box, floor and tunnel from a d-90. IT looks perfectly stock actually. The only issue I had was that the rear d- shaft is really short. In turn, I put a spacer in the trailing arm to tilt the pumpkin down and adjust the shaft angle.. No problems now..
Legend in My Own Mind.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Without a lift it should be fine. Look at how short the rear shaft on a series I 80in is -- especially the early long nose diff ones.

*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

300 tdi, coil, series, tdi