3 link front suspension?? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
sammyboyv8
Sam
1968 & 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Erm... nope, not the same.... currie/johnny joints have the swivel ball encased in a polymer housing. That's how they reduce the vibration compared to rose or spherical bearings that have a thin layer of teflon (PTFE) on the inside of the outer race. As noted above true spherical bearings will wear fast & rattle.

You really need to do more searching, Giggle Pin 4x4 has a D90 with extended radius arms on the front for improved flex, you could also use some of of the X-Eng 'X-Flex' joints to make some arms.... but I'd give Simon a call first to check that the'll be within spec for front use.

I'd suggest that you join the Devon 4x4 forum, lots of the top UK challenge guys hang out there & they have 'been there & done that' for just about every possible option in LR suspension. They have also driven it hard in UK & European events... know what does & doesn't work.... think lots of mud !

Thanks Andy for that most helpful, I joined this forum as most youguys in the states are so far ahead of us Brits suspension wise its untrue. Most Uk forums are full off big wheel warriors the genuinely haven't got a clue!

I'll end up having springs made i think as all the springs ive seen over here are all lift springs but heavy duty! Why they make them heavy duty and dont offer a lighter varient i'll never know, annoying really. As far as shockers, I shall probably buy from USA, again, theres just so much more choice, and there nearly half the price!

Must admit, I am extremely jealous of the amount of land/trails you have to go off roading on! Our councils here close all byways/greenlanes (you call them trails) as soon as somebody whinges that its muddy!!

Cheers

Sam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

There is so much bad information in this thread it's not even funny...
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
sammyboyv8
Sam
1968 & 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post

PM me with the ''need to know information'' then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I'll post it here later today... Internet is down and don't want to use my phone
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
sammyboyv8
Sam
1968 & 1996

Quote:
I'll post it here later today... Internet is down and don't want to use my phone

Okay, great stuff.

Cheers
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
I dont know what youre talking about, I think some of it is hillarious!
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboyv8 View Post
I'll end up having springs made i think as all the springs ive seen over here are all lift springs but heavy duty! Why they make them heavy duty and dont offer a lighter varient i'll never know, annoying really. As far as shockers, I shall probably buy from USA, again, theres just so much more choice, and there nearly half the price!

Must admit, I am extremely jealous of the amount of land/trails you have to go off roading on! Our councils here close all byways/greenlanes (you call them trails) as soon as somebody whinges that its muddy!!

Cheers

Sam.
I'm an ex-pat.... one of the reasons I emigrated was due to the bobble hats screwing things up for us....

Why make springs.... go coil-over & select rates/qty to suit the vehicle & terrain your driving.
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:16 PM
sammyboyv8
Sam
1968 & 1996

Its cost, thats the only reason.. I've priced up Fox, Bilstein and Koni, oh Marzochii aswell, and for a good remote resovoir set up im talking 2000 quid plus per corner!!

Amate of my dates who takes comp safari (racing) seriously just spent 15,000 on coilovers

The prices in the states are so much cheaper, I'm considering a holiday just to come and buy parts!

Sam
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

I apologize for not engaging my brain before I started typing. I was forgetting a whole host of steering and suspension geometry issues. Sometimes I am to quick to reply before I think.

Good Luck with your project.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
front suspension