1997 sw 3.0 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278
1997 sw 3.0

Well..i guess it is time to start adding some content. Some of you may know that I purchased CVC's old arles blue SW. I flew out and drove this 18 hrs home with no problems...unfortunately the long drive revealed the weakness...water pump exploded day 1 after being home and the fan literally came off as i was pulling into a parking lot...no way of knowing this would happen and it did get as all home safely but I had a pelican full of tools in case...good excuse to get going on maintenance...ordered new fan, viscous clutch, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt etc...re-installed a few days later and good to go ever since. Over the next 12 months I am going to go through it from inside out and post here. It was already pretty nicely modified with modest lift, 255s, SG goodies, 3 link and SD exo cage. First on deck is interior. I spent the weekend gutting the non factory wiring, removing the audio, cb etc and removing all after market stickers. It also came with corbeau gts II seats which look great and are improvement over stock but were badly worn over the years. Plans over the next two weeks include complete reupholstering of seats with new outer skins from corbeau in black cloth and new foam kit, matching flip and fold corbeau safari rear bench (removed the side seats), corbeau rear lap belts, sound proofing where appropriate, cleanly covering old jump seat holes and sound proofing of rear tub and new wheel well carpet via local upholstery shop. Audio will be improved with new alpine stereo with factory wiring kit(audi/VW harness). Pictures to follow over the next couple of weekends.

Also planning on moving over many of the goods from my other rover including lockers, synthetic line and hawse, remote reservoir shocks and lift. Goal is for clean installs, improvements over factory where applicable and the exterior will be cleaned up but not refurbished as it is a defender and I plan to use it as such.

Over the next 12 months I will document the motor tear down and conversion to a 4.6

Nice to be starting with a relatively rust free template...rover version 3.0 here we go. Pictured is my wife, daughter and I driving away from CVCs homeland of Texas and 2nd pic borrowed from the for sale thread...could not be happier with this purchase and think it will be a long relationship. Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 9.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	36294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 11.png
Views:	220
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	36295  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

1997, 97