1993 Nas 110 #302 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:54 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

1993 Nas 110 #302

My plan is to use this thread to document the process of the restoration of my 93 110. I envision this thread to be a combination of my questions, your assistance and the resulting progress.

My goal is not to return the vehicle to show room condition or better than the original, but rather a solid, reliable, rust free daily driver. For the most part I have had pretty good luck for the last 45,000 miles of ownership, but rust and the wear and tear of the last 17 years is taking its toll.

I will admit that I dont have the end clearly defined, but some of it will need to be figured out along the way and any opportunity that presents itself could alter the direction. I plan to drive it as long as I can before tearing into it and then get it back on the road as quickly as possible.

Photos show what the 110 looks like the day I got it as well as how it looks today.

First time out on the rebuild, so I will be looking for plenty of info and will share everything that I learn along the way from the largest to the smallest items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1024.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	23003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1016.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	23004  

Name:	114.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	23005  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2009, 12:09 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Very cool - I can't wait to see some progress!

How about you take pix of the stuff you are hoping to address so we can get some discussion going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Bulkhead Identification & Questions

First up on my plan is stripping and galvanizing my replacement bulkhead. With this comes my first set of questions:
1. Anybody know exactly what kind of bulkhead this is?
2. I suspect that I need to remove all plastic, rivits and captive nuts prior to galvanizing, anything I need to be aware of, or can I just remove and replace?
3. Bulkhead appears to have several overlapping layers of sheet metal, as pictured in 3rd pic, is this normal?
4. I plan to remove the air cleaner holder in 4th pic, any thing I need to know before I remove? Safe just to use a cut off disc on a grinder?

Also interested in any misc recommendations or information. I have posted a photosynth with several views giving pretty close to a 360 degree view at http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...e-ceebac913925. If you are unfamiliar with photosynth, you can zoom in and out and rotate the image to see multiple views.

Any information or advise is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3135.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	23006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	23007  

Name:	IMG_3208.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	23008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3137.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	23009  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2009, 12:33 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

where did you get this bulkhead? If you are going to change the bulkhead why not go for the newer style with the vents open and get an updated dash. I mean if you are going to spend the time and money to pull the truck apart I say why not.
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

1. ROW bulkhead with AC, LHD circa lates 80s to early 90s. Almost an NAS 110 bulkhead, only the air cleaner mount should be different. I tried to buy it but you got to it first. Grrrr.
2. Not really. If the captive nuts are in there just leave them and tap them out later, if they can be removed, do so.
3. Normal
4. Don't know, but I can't see it being an issue.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
where did you get this bulkhead? If you are going to change the bulkhead why not go for the newer style with the vents open and get an updated dash. I mean if you are going to spend the time and money to pull the truck apart I say why not.
Because it is a PITA unless you are switching over to the newer style AC and heat and dash (ie $$$$).
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:49 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Ron

I understand what you are saying and to be honest, the NAS 110 system has it's merits. No loss of leg room for one. Its just the thought of removing the current dash, pulling the cage, roof, windshield, etc and not putting the new style dash seems pennywise pound foolish.

Now if I ever put in a new style bulkhead, I am for sure painting my vent flaps, black so it still looks stock.
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
1. What Ron said, its as close to a NAS 110 bulkhead as you'll get for sure.
2. You do need to take everything off to get a nice clean result. The captive nuts will come off no problem. There is some stuff like rivets you can get away with leaving in, but why do it half-ass?
3. Normally there is a big glop of seam-sealer covering this area. Once you dip it you'll be better able to determine if it still needs a big glop of sealer.
4. Why are you removing the bracket? I would just add onto it a bit to make the v8 bracket shape. If you really do want to remove it, check out a flat spot weld cutter from Eastwood Company - it can drill out the welds without putting a hole in the panel. There's a lot of spot-welds holding that on, it will take a while with a grinder.
5. Try to find a place to chemically strip the bulkhead to ensure all the paint/coating etc is out from inside the bulkhead. Also, I believe you'll get a much nicer galv finish over chemically stripped steel than sandblasted steel.

Old November 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Matt,
Some of the best advise I can offer:
  1. organization, label as much as you can, place small parts in little bins labeled were they came from
  2. documentation, take many pictures and take notes (if you think you will remember how it goes back together later on, you won't)
  3. realization, come to the understanding now that the amount of $$$$$ and time you estimate today, and multiply that amount by 3.
Number 1 & 2 above are your best friends (obviously the D-90 Source too), and for number 3... well that is up to the Rover gods.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

You going to keep it V8, or feel the hand of god on your shoulder and convert to a diesel?
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Barry,
I got the bulkhead from a guy locally. My current plan is to stick with my original style dash - or slightly modify it. Swapping over to the newer style dash will only add to my cost and complexity. Additionally, I am not a fan of the under dash AC unit. It may blow cold, but it sure seems to steal a ton of leg room.
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I understand. We need some close up pics of your truck
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Jim,
My intent on removing the bracket is two-fold. 1. I am considering a few ideas to relocate some of the items in the engine compartment. The idea of some sort of "universal" mount/bracket that could occupy this space appeals to me. Even if on day 1, the only thing mounted was the air cleaner. 2. Although the immiediate plan is to keep the V8, future plans may involve conversion to diesel and as I understand it the current bracket may need to go at that time anyway. Plus I just think it looks cleaner as pictured - albeit this photo looks much cleaner than I will achieve due to tis lack of AC.

Anything specific I need to know or any type of chemical stripping I should be looking for, or to avoid? I guess I dont know what I dont know, so any additiona info would be helpful.
Thanks,
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
4. Why are you removing the bracket? I would just add onto it a bit to make the v8 bracket shape. If you really do want to remove it, check out a flat spot weld cutter from Eastwood Company - it can drill out the welds without putting a hole in the panel. There's a lot of spot-welds holding that on, it will take a while with a grinder.
5. Try to find a place to chemically strip the bulkhead to ensure all the paint/coating etc is out from inside the bulkhead. Also, I believe you'll get a much nicer galv finish over chemically stripped steel than sandblasted steel.
Follow-up Post:

Jamie,
This is the source of my greatest consternation. I really believe that once the 3.9 dies, a diesel is in my future, although I am still up in the air on whether that my be a 300, TD5 or even 4BT. My very rough plan on my project is:

1. Prep & Galvanize replacement bulkhead
2. Strip to chassis and repair any issues discovered (appears to be in good shape from what can be currently seen, although a previous rear crossmember swap needs to be cleaned up a little bit).
3. Dip chassis and any misc parts identified
4. swap over everything from orginal bulkhead to new bulkhead
5. re-assemble
6. swap out other items as needed or as aquired, while continuing to drive

So the $64,000 question is: Since the bulkhead will be galvanized, presumably set-up for V8 mounts, but at a later point perhaps needing mounts cut off and replaced for a diesel, is there anything that I can do prior to dipping to prep for either engine? In otherwords, if at a point in the future, mounts are cut off and new steel is welded in, that would introduce new ungalvanized surfaces up front that would be susceptible to corrosion. Am I just SOL here or is there some creative solution to create a setup that would/could accept either engine (assuming I identified the replacement)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
You going to keep it V8, or feel the hand of god on your shoulder and convert to a diesel?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dc002.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	23122  
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
Jim,
My intent on removing the bracket is two-fold. 1. I am considering a few ideas to relocate some of the items in the engine compartment.
What you want is the bracket that is used on the UK/euro 50th anniversary 4.0 V8 90, that bolts on to the back of the block, not the bulkhead, so can easily be removed (the air filter lies crossways across the back of the engine)

part # PHU102790

clicky photobucket parts listing<---
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
The blue D has an interesting setup. Any more pics of it?

Cheers...
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

It is the old Team Saluki 110. http://www.teamsaluki.com/landrover110.htm
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Matt,

M&D offers a kit to fit the 2.8 power stroke into the V8 motor mounts, they said it will also work with the 300tdi as well when I asked them.

You might check with them and see what they have to say
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Actually Started

After months of other stuff getting in the way, I have finally started on the disassembly. It looks like the dynamat I added a few years back helped to hold what little bulkhead I had together for a little longer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5662.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	34332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5658.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	34333  

Name:	IMG_5655.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	34334  
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

wow impressive. did you do the bulkhead galv yet?
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Not yet. Wanted to hold off until I had a chance to test fit everything from the old to the new prior to galvanizing in the event that I needed/wanted to modify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
wow impressive. did you do the bulkhead galv yet?
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

is the truck still going to be white?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, nas, nas 110