1993 Camel Trophy Disco - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Just pointing out the facts...if it was here legally it would be able to be titled.. There are many reasons a vehicle can be here... Rovers north has some nearly brand new defenders here... For exhibition demonstration purposes only... I can bring a 2005 defender 130 here into the USA any time I want for a year under the guise of doing work to it and ship it back out...and renew that for another year 2 more times.. But I have to have it shipped out of the country or forfeit my bond.. It's here... Doesn't mean I can sell it or register it... And I am sure the camel was here under exhibit rules also... And THATS why it doesn't have a title... And that's why on your BAT ad you say that it could only be used on private property... I have read up on the Colorado laws and I am sure it was not followed to the new 2009 changes.. But that's not my call... Point is,.. You knew the owner of the vehicle wasn't aware of it being sold and you just lawyered up to give you the upper hand... And as far as I know since Webb was given permission by his brother to store the vehicle on his property it was not abandoned at a storage facility.. And here in the state of Florida the registered owner has to be the one signing a repair order authorizing the repairs at any repair facility... Otherwise the repair shop is shit out of luck... Webb made 2 fatal mistake... 1st in not getting a lawyer right from the get go.. And 2nd.. Thinking that there is any morality left in this world..and a man is judged by his actions... Not his conquests...and you knew that Webb was the correct owner and that you didn't buy it from him.. Because in your own stories you mention how you were trying to get a hold of him... And of course he tried to sue you... You bought his car from someone else without his consent.. Duh.... I've read your stories as well... I don't know Webb either... I just know how I would feel if someone tried to steal one of my camels from me... Especially purely for monetary gain... He was a camel trophy driver for gods sake... Have some respect and balls...I'm glad you're selling it... We don't need someone like you in these hallowed halls of camel trophy owners... I just hope the new owner knows what he may have to deal with and that he shows more respect for this group than he does for monetary gain... And if the glove doesn't fit... You must acquit....doesn't mean he didn't do it... ------ Follow up post added June 25th, 2014 07:04 PM ------ And I agree, Webb should be starting a civil suit against his brother and subsequently the guy who sold it...getting a really good lawyer, having the whole thing held up pending litigation and going after the whole lot, have it overturned and rightful ownership reverting to original owner, and getting a judgement against them for attorney's fees...if I was Webb I would be calling in any favors I could get from land rover, I would be really surprised if it was even allowed to be released to the public.. My camel had to be de-commissioned and the frame destroyed... ..personally I'd be buying a disposable baseball bat...
Shane

No offense, but your statement is not accurate. I personally know of at least 4 Camel Rovers that have been here since the late '80's & '90's (2 owned by my former employer Land Rover Asheville ('96 Disco & '98 Freelander), one owned by LRNA (Jim Sweat & Daphne Green's Camel Disco), and one owned by a gentleman in SC (original '85 Camel 90 used in Australia)). None of them are road legal, per se , but all have been here legally under a "show & display" exemption. They can be driven on the highway so long as they are insured and they are limited to 2,500 miles per year.

CBP has since tightened the reins on this exemption, but all of these trucks are grandfathered by prior consent. Tohelluride's truck was also brought in by LRNA. Therefore, it is grandfathered under the same terms as the others. I'm aware of the details of the purchase transaction between Tohelluride and the seller and it appears quite legitimate to me.

As an aside, I'm not sure I understand why you're so fired up about this? Is it simply the fact that he's making money on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:12 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Elaborate on which one..)
When the camel trophy trucks were finished with, some of the drivers were offered to be able to "buy" their vehicles from land rover.. Others were given to the hosting country as a gift as it wasn't worth bringing them back sometimes, some were kept for the next years scouting sand some were used in multiple year events.. I believe this particular one (the one this thread is about) was used for many years for driver training for the events.... Not sure what years were what.. During the 80's and on I believe nene overland were in charge of the decommissioning of these trucks by land rover.. All of the camel trophy bits were pulled off and the frames destroyed as the vin numbers weren't supposed to be released to the public... Kinda like the army in Canada just destroys their trucks instead of letting them out into the public, trust me I was in a scrap yard in Canada with loads of them.... My truck was bought by a lady who went to nene and said... I want a camel trophy truck.. And she was told.. Sorry ma'am we can't sell you a camel trophy truck.. But what we can sell you is that whole pile of parts over there and then on the other side of the building we can sell you an ex-mod frame.. And you can put it all together... Sooooo there you have it, I know mines a bit of a Frankenstein but we love her... She has all the camel trophy bits on her... To be quite honest, have you seen the way some of the camel drivers drove their vehicles... Drive it like you stole it ain't got nothing on... Drive it like its a camel trophy event vehicle that you don't own and it's yours to destroy during the event.. I think it was the Italians one year the objective was to get through a deep ditch.. The Italians found the highest launch point, got a good run up and went over it...almost...lol...
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:26 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Shane

No offense, but your statement is not accurate. I personally know of at least 4 Camel Rovers that have been here since the late '80's & '90's (2 owned by my former employer Land Rover Asheville ('96 Disco & '98 Freelander), one owned by LRNA (Jim Sweat & Daphne Green's Camel Disco), and one owned by a gentleman in SC (original '85 Camel 90 used in Australia)). None of them are road legal, per se , but all have been here legally under a "show & display" exemption. They can be driven on the highway so long as they are insured and they are limited to 2,500 miles per year.

CBP has since tightened the reins on this exemption, but all of these trucks are grandfathered by prior consent. Tohelluride's truck was also brought in by LRNA. Therefore, it is grandfathered under the same terms as the others. I'm aware of the details of the purchase transaction between Tohelluride and the seller and it appears quite legitimate to me.

As an aside, I'm not sure I understand why you're so fired up about this? Is it simply the fact that he's making money on it?
That's what I was saying.. They can't be registered and titled for the average user.. I know Jim's is here as I have had many dealings with a whole bunch of the camel trophy vehicles and drivers..I am sure Webbs was here under the same criteria.. I am sure it wasn't brought in here illegally, I'm just saying that it can't be registered and used the same as any other normal vehicle.. I would be surprised if it is allowed to be sold to the general public especially given its original reasons for being brought in... And I'm not really fired up about this, I just happened to have heard some other sides to this guys stories.. There is a severe injustice being done to someone here and it just plain sucks that this guy knows he's screwing Webb out of his truck that Webb didn't want to sell.. Personally I don't care if it goes for $100,000.. It just adds to the value of my 2 and a half camel trucks... And my small collection of memorabilia.. Not that I care as I don't buy to sell...and it's not tohellurides truck... Webb Has the legal paperwork from land rover to him... And then Webb didn't sell it to tohellurides , this guys lawyer just got the benefit of a court ruling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
That's what I was saying.. They can't be registered and titled for the average user.. I know Jim's is here as I have had many dealings with a whole bunch of the camel trophy vehicles and drivers..I am sure Webbs was here under the same criteria.. I am sure it wasn't brought in here illegally, I'm just saying that it can't be registered and used the same as any other normal vehicle.. I would be surprised if it is allowed to be sold to the general public especially given its original reasons for being brought in... And I'm not really fired up about this, I just happened to have heard some other sides to this guys stories.. There is a severe injustice being done to someone here and it just plain sucks that this guy knows he's screwing Webb out of his truck that Webb didn't want to sell.. Personally I don't care if it goes for $100,000.. It just adds to the value of my 2 and a half camel trucks... And my small collection of memorabilia.. Not that I care as I don't buy to sell...and it's not tohellurides truck... Webb Has the legal paperwork from land rover to him... And then Webb didn't sell it to tohellurides , this guys lawyer just got the benefit of a court ruling...
My apologies, I didn't take it that you'd be in agreement with me based on your former statement.

For the record, if you concede that LRNA conveyed the truck to Webb, then ownership was indeed transferable. As for Mr. Arnold, I can sympathize with him to a degree. But, Webb's cause of action, if any, would be against the previous seller as you've already pointed out. His only legal remedy at this point would be limited to monetary recovery.

For the record, the truck will be titleable once it hits 25 years and is grandfathered under the 25-year rule. Until then, it's use will remain limited.

As a further aside, based on your professed fondness for Camel Trophy vehicles, I'd think you'd be happy to see it back in use. No offense to Mr. Arnold, but to paraphrase Ferris Beuller, "a man with priorities so far out of wack (that he'd leave an original winning Camel Discovery wasting away in a field) does not deserve to own such a fine automobile."

Quote:
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:17 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the truck was given/loaned/sold to Webb only as much as the trucks were given loaned owned by Jim, daphne tom etc etc.. And Webb was using it for many years for camel trophy driver training.. Maybe Webb was only allowed to have the truck under the condition that he never sold it.. Maybe he promised to land rover to never sell it... Who knows, the whole point of this is that he didn't sell it... He was the owner of the truck and that is irrefutable, and this truck was not sold by the owner.. Again irrefutable..did the guy find a loophole in the law that he and his lawyer held hands and jumped right through.., I think so...
And from what I can see it doesn't look much worse for wear from it supposedly sitting in a field rotting away... I have seen plenty of pics just days after it was picked up... Did Webb drop the ball in some respect.. Probably, (nay...definitely) is that justification for someone to take advantage of that and screw him out of his vehicle... I think not... And then for same person to gloat about how his lawyer aided him in screwing this guy... There's two things that rub me the wrong way in this world... Thieves and braggarts... Actually 3... Add lawyers... But I guess sometimes that's life in todays so called civilized modern society...

------ Follow up post added June 25th, 2014 09:20 PM ------

And maybe I should have said... If it was here through the regular and legally permissible importation laws for general use..)
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
As much as I respect Webb for what he did in the past, leaving a camel trophy truck in a parking lot is insane. Abandoned property is abandoned property, even if it is the most historic and valuable disco in the country. I respect you and your opinion shayne, but I have to side with mr.bbq on this one.
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I agree Zack. Abandoned is abandoned.
Then he wants it back.
Too effing bad Webb.

And good for tohelluride...
I say cash in while you can.
Its been 16 years since the last Camel Trophy and I'd bet the general public doesnt have a clue what it was.
And the market for buying an old truck like this will probably shrink in the years to come.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Yea, but keep in mind back in the 80's and early 90's, CT guys were offroaders/adventurers, not necessarily Land Rover enthusiast. And while some stayed with Land Rover for training/marketing etc, not all of them turned into full blown nuts like us.

-Jeff
True, but if you abandon a vehicle you shouldn't go ape if it gets sold from the property you left it at(unless you had an agreement in writing)
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:10 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
All this crying and hysterics over a truck that likely would be a piece of garbage years down the road had it not sold recently. The Colorado ground could have swallowed this rig and it sounds like this guy would have sued.
I hope it lands in great hands as it should have been long ago if it's so damn rare. Jesus Christ move on.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the truck was given/loaned/sold to Webb only as much as the trucks were given loaned owned by Jim, daphne tom etc etc.. And Webb was using it for many years for camel trophy driver training.. Maybe Webb was only allowed to have the truck under the condition that he never sold it.. Maybe he promised to land rover to never sell it... Who knows, the whole point of this is that he didn't sell it... He was the owner of the truck and that is irrefutable, and this truck was not sold by the owner.. Again irrefutable..did the guy find a loophole in the law that he and his lawyer held hands and jumped right through.., I think so... And from what I can see it doesn't look much worse for wear from it supposedly sitting in a field rotting away... I have seen plenty of pics just days after it was picked up... Did Webb drop the ball in some respect.. Probably, (nay...definitely) is that justification for someone to take advantage of that and screw him out of his vehicle... I think not... And then for same person to gloat about how his lawyer aided him in screwing this guy... There's two things that rub me the wrong way in this world... Thieves and braggarts... Actually 3... Add lawyers... But I guess sometimes that's life in todays so called civilized modern society...
Shayne,

I can certainly appreciate your (err...Webb's) position, but I also see a whole lot of "maybe"s in your post above as as well.

Also, I'm a pretty easy going individual, and since my brother, Matt, had good things to say about you regarding his face to face meeting with you, I will not take offense to being lumped into a class alongside "thieves and braggarts". I however cannot speak for the other members of the board who are also attorneys.....

Quote:
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:13 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
If I have read things correctly, Webb put it out to storage/gave it to his brother in 2009? And his brother's friend goes to sell it 5 years later? Look at the responses on BaT. Most people think it's a pile of scrap. If it wasn't "found" on craigslist I wouldn't be surprised if this rig ended up in the crusher by Bob the miner. If anything is of value to me it's on my property. I recently tracked down a borrowed Stihl helmet as I know after a certain timeframe things just go away. If this was so valuable to Webb why didn't he have it in proper storage?

Props to ToHellURide. He found this truck, fixed some items, dealt with the law and shared the story to many of us that really enjoyed the history lesson. He had to cover lawyer fees and time from work to deal with it. I hope he gets a good penny for it and the funds can help him with his back issues.

the_rover_shop - why did Webb send the sheriff after him. On the flip side, how is that "thinking that there is any morality left in this world..and a man is judged by his actions." If ToHellURide didn't call Webb what would have happened. I know I am in NJ and all but I'd reach out for a lawyer for a simple speeding ticket.

The value of this rig is in the story. And the chapters are just being added on to it.
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:17 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
As much as I respect Webb for what he did in the past, leaving a camel trophy truck in a parking lot is insane. Abandoned property is abandoned property, even if it is the most historic and valuable disco in the country. I respect you and your opinion shayne, but I have to side with mr.bbq on this one.
You're making it sound like he parked it in the walmart parking lot and walked away from it.. It was parked in his brothers yard....for whatever reason... It may have been in a barn as far as we know... It may not have been "abandoned" and whatever he did with it is his right to.. He owned it, it doesn't make it right for someone to justify the actions of taking it from him... There is no baker act in the automotive world... There is no vigilante group saying its okay to screw someone out of his camel trophy truck because we don't condone where he supposedly parked it..according to the one sided story from the one guy who stands to benefit the most from this transaction.... Who are we to say what someone else does with their trucks.. Some may say they should be stored in a museum for prosperity... Hell, this abandoned deserted story may be nowhere near the truth... The brother forged documents and conspired with some other guy to sell the vehicle out from underneath him... Maybe Webb was saving some money to have it totally redone and was just about to do it....I would say that Webb has done more to contribute to the camel trophy than just about anyone else on this thread, and you say shame on him for parking it somewhere...really..??..doesn't he deserve at least some respect for who and what he is... The damage to the side of the vehicle wasn't done by him.. He has had this vehicle for many years training camel drivers etc etc... And you wanna take the side of some guy who blatantly brags that he lawyered him out of it... WOW... Next you'll be saying poor OJ Simpson ... That man didn't do it...invite him over to dinner...after all, evidence... What evidence, it wasn't allowed in court so therefore it didn't exist...

------ Follow up post added June 25th, 2014 10:25 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Shane,

I can certainly appreciate your (err...Webb's) position, but I also see a whole lot of "maybe"s in your post above as as well.

Also, I'm a pretty easy going individual, and since my brother, Matt, had good things to say about you regarding his face to face meeting with you, I will not take offense to being lumped into a class alongside "thieves and braggarts". I however cannot speak for the other members of the board who are also attorneys.....
You are absolutely right and I mean no offense to the majority of attorneys, I am merely referring to the ones who have less scruples than most..attorneys are great as long so you're not going against them...but it doesn't mean that some don't take advantage of people and situations with the benefit of the law on their side...and its not the lawyers fault totally, they are just the tool that the client uses to do their bidding..
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
What is the other side of the story? I've read side, and read a lot of speculation about the other side.
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Shayne, I've got no dog in this fight but since everyone is weighing in with opinions, here are a few of mine.
1) I know everyone loves to hate lawyers, but that joke gets old. It's not their fault, well, maybe litigious ambulance chasers. BTW, I think Will is an attorney.
2) as far as we all know and it doesn't seem that anyone is refuting this.....OP/Tehelluride answered a Craigslist ad and simply bought a vehicle. It's not like he conspired with the guys brother to scheme the truck from him. Forget about the provenance of the truck for a minute or even the fact that it's a vehicle at all, a buyer purchased something from someone with cash as the consideration. The exchange was later challenged in court and upheld. End of story. If Webb (or you or anyone has any beef, it should be with Webbs brother or whomever accepted the cash for the truck.
3) I understand and respect your allegiance to the CTOC and it's members and I get that you all respect Webb for his achievements and feel bad for what happened to him, but think for a minute. You're really taking out your frustration on an unrelated tertiary party who (until he was sued by Webb) had no knowledge or problem with Webb. No all that's happening is stepping all over his guy's good fortune and potential sale. I hope And would expect that CTOC would accept and respect the court's decision and whatever legal owner has custody of CT Disco now or in the future.

Bottom line is that whomever took the cash consideration in exchange for the truck could and should be held liable for the loss (the delta between the last sale price and whatever it sells for next). THAT would be fair and equitable, right!?

Like I said Shayne, I don't mean any disrespect here, but it's not the OP's fault it went down like this, nor is it the lawyers, nor is it the court.
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I was once told by a pretty good litigation specialist (attorney) I know that "the answer to most every question can be answered with the response 'it depends'" meaning that nearly everything is subject to interpretation and can be argued.

There are a lot of 'it depends" factors here, but based on what has been publicly stated on this forum now and in past posts, it sounds like the owner is now Tohelluride. Like it or not. He was protecting his interests as anyone here would.
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:57 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

The purchaser knew that the vehicle was sold without the owners permission before Webb initiated a law suit,( which is what he had to do to try and get his vehicle back)..the sheriff told him that there was a dispute with the sale... And before that the purchaser knew it was Webbs car as he by his own admission was trying to find him to see if there was anymore spares for it... I don't begrudge lawyers... I dislike the litigious society that has been the playground for lawyers to make victims out to be offenders (admittedly at the clients beckoning) ... A system That allows ridiculous and frivolous law suits which cause honest hard working people to have to hire an attorney to protect their innocence and to have to defend themselves against being screwed over..only to lose on a technicality or win and be unable to recoup the monies they were forced to lay out to win. Merely because an attorney knows how to work the system moreso than average joe citizen.... And just for the record I dislike the mechanical trade for many of similar reasons but I don't take offense when someone says that they don't like mechanics... I know I'm not one of those unscrupulous mechanics and therefore their dislike is not directed at me.. Most people dislike mechanics until they need one also..)
My beef in this whole ugly situation is that I have seen responses from Webb and they are different to the one sided story that has been played out on the forums.. I sympathize with Webb as I can see how this has likely played out and he has been steamrolled by a system which is fails to protect the victim.. A system which favours the person who has the better/more expensive lawyer.. And I agree, a good deal of the blame should lay with the people who initiated this whole sordid set of circumstances.. But I don't believe this purchaser is the innocent victim he portrays himself to be, merely protecting his purchase.... It would be no different to me selling a customers car while it is in my shop for repairs... Why should the customer have to fight and pay to get his car back... I believe the term "abandoned" has been thrown around to Favour the purchasers claims to be in the right... I left my camel 110 parked in my shop parking lot and I went home without it... Did I abandon it and does that give someone the right to go in and sell it from underneath me...hell, sometimes I go away from it for a whole weekend... I should be flogged for my attrocious behavior...how dare I "abandon" my camel...If there is one thing that Webb should learn from this it is that no-one is above screwing him over just so they can make a profit... And that includes family.... And the law... The forged document was thrown out because someone said the sheriff wasn't an expert in forgeries... I have put a request in to the powers that be for Webb to chime in here to set some records straight...
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Well, this is a fight I've already spent more time/money on than I ever wanted, so I'll say a few things for the record and then hold my peace. Feel free to hash out what you think are the facts for as long as you like, though.

What you keep circling back to, Shayne, is the idea that I had any knowledge before buying the vehicle that Webb still considered himself the owner. I assure you that this was not the case, and a simple experiment in logic stands behind me on that. I was presented with original documents from Bob. In the chain of bills of sale, I saw that Webb had previously owned the truck. I called him in the hopes that he could expand on the truck's history, and to see if he perhaps knew of the fate of a few missing parts.

What sort of total idiot would I have to be to call Webb if I had known from the getgo that the car was disputed? Paying for a lawyer was never in my plans until someone threatened to take away my property.

While I'm afraid I can't restore your faith in the way the American justice system works, I can assure you that I only use the term "abandoned" because I don't know how else to describe a vehicle left in the care of another long enough that the person believes he has the right to sell it. If that is the case.

I also am not a fan of what you called "ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits," which is exactly what I had to combat in the past year by hiring a lawyer. Webb's beef should be with those who possibly wronged him, and he ought to pursue a case against them. As it stands, the courts agree that I'm not the one he should be focusing his attention on. That's not bragging, that's the facts.

As I said before, this is a fight I've already been through. The case wasn't thrown out on a technicality regarding whether or not the bills of sale were forged. Even if that piece of "evidence" had been allowed, the end result would be the same. He was suing the wrong person from the start, and if he had hired a lawyer, that lawyer would have informed him of that a year ago.

What happened between Webb and me is now a closed chapter in this Disco's history.

1991 Range Rover Classic(Daily)

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohelluride View Post
Well, this is a fight I've already spent more time/money on than I ever wanted, so I'll say a few things for the record and then hold my peace. Feel free to hash out what you think are the facts for as long as you like, though.

What you keep circling back to, Shayne, is the idea that I had any knowledge before buying the vehicle that Webb still considered himself the owner. I assure you that this was not the case, and a simple experiment in logic stands behind me on that. I was presented with original documents from Bob. In the chain of bills of sale, I saw that Webb had previously owned the truck. I called him in the hopes that he could expand on the truck's history, and to see if he perhaps knew of the fate of a few missing parts.

What sort of total idiot would I have to be to call Webb if I had known from the getgo that the car was disputed? Paying for a lawyer was never in my plans until someone threatened to take away my property.

While I'm afraid I can't restore your faith in the way the American justice system works, I can assure you that I only use the term "abandoned" because I don't know how else to describe a vehicle left in the care of another long enough that the person believes he has the right to sell it. If that is the case.

I also am not a fan of what you called "ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits," which is exactly what I had to combat in the past year by hiring a lawyer. Webb's beef should be with those who possibly wronged him, and he ought to pursue a case against them. As it stands, the courts agree that I'm not the one he should be focusing his attention on. That's not bragging, that's the facts.

As I said before, this is a fight I've already been through. The case wasn't thrown out on a technicality regarding whether or not the bills of sale were forged. Even if that piece of "evidence" had been allowed, the end result would be the same. He was suing the wrong person from the start, and if he had hired a lawyer, that lawyer would have informed him of that a year ago.

What happened between Webb and me is now a closed chapter in this Disco's history.
That is about as succinct as one could put it.
I remember when this was being hashed out months ago when Tohelluride was fighting the lawsuit. It didn't seem then as it doesn't seem now that Tohelluride stole or deceived anyone. The BROTHER did. Sounds like the court saw it that way as well, but the abandoned property bit was just an easier way to end the situation.

I'm guessing it was easier to go after Tohelluride than his brother (philosophically speaking). How do you sue your brother? Well, obviously you can but it makes for awkward family gatherings going forward.

Like I wrote earlier, I have no skin in the game here and I don't know Tohelluride or you Shayne, but it seems like sour grapes to paint a picture that Tohelluride was busy hatching a plan to scheme Webbs possessions from him. Tohelluride was just at the right place at the right time. Something we all wish would happen to us and now he's in a position to capitalize on that. Oh and it's not like he didn't have to fight for his rights along the way. It's not like its a $1,500 flip, I'm sure his attorney didn't work for free and his time and efforts to fight should be rewarded.

Seems like and negative energy should be focused on the party(s) that sold the Disco to Tohelluride. I get that Webb may have a different lens on this situation, but all we have to go on is what we've read he and if one were so inclined I'm sure the court records is available to read as well.
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohelluride View Post
He was suing the wrong person from the start, and if he had hired a lawyer, that lawyer would have informed him of that a year ago.
Are you saying he represented himself in court?
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:05 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

I have NEVER thought that any scheme was hatched prior to he sale.. I 100% believe that he went there AND purchased it all in good faith on face value that it was a bonafide sale, even though there had to be a hint in the back of his mind that there was something fishy about this deal... My problem with the whole situation is after that initial purchase..... As SOON as he found out that Webb did not authorize the sale is the point where it went south and the wrongdoings began.. There were two ways to go at that point, and I believe the wrong path was taken, the RIGHT thing to do would have been to amicably resolve the situation with the end goal of returning the vehicle to the bonafide owner, whether that meant jointly going after the seller for any additional fees etc (although I am sure one looked at the situation and decided that was not a viable option, doubtful return on investment ) .. And of course he had to sue YOU... He didn't want the money... He wanted his car back, you had (and still do) have HIS car.. Regardless of how the court decided you know deep in your heart that the innocent victim in this whole situation is Webb... But you saw the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow and you knew the definite financial gain.... That was your end goal... And to test that theory I will do this.... I will give you $5000 out of my own pocket if you return the vehicle back to Webb...
And to answer the following posters question... Unfortunately YES.. Webb showed up without legal representation, I believe his wife was acting as counsel.. He brought a slingshot to a gun fight.. and as with most ugly situations hindsight is 20/20...
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
disco