1993 Camel Trophy Disco - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Disco2Guy
Brenton Corns
2001 D2

I stand corrected. Lack of sleep has me confusing post content. You did say it was an honor to meet him, and he did offer to buy the truck from you.

All I have done is copy emails verbatim so Webb has a voice in this fuster cluck of a situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:05 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
This should be researched by LRNA.
3 ways LR could have disposed of the vehicle...exported it, destroyed it or sell it per the rules. Will pointed out the truck may have been totaled by insurance when it fell off the truck. That may have turned the vehicle into a pile of parts(destroyed), in which case LR would have been required to notify NHTSA. If this is the case, that would leave me to believe if it were put back on the road before it was 25 years old, with the original vin, it would be susceptible to seizure and destruction. Either way, seller is taking a huge risk with a piece of history by selling it so publicly, not to mention, this must be humiliating and heart breaking to Webb. I would not at all be surprised if the auction were ended early and the seller, as well as the truck, disappeared.
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:11 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Seems like Tohelluride could have saved a bunch of this by quietly selling the vehicle to one of the many individuals who presumably offered him more privately than what the eBay listing is currently bid up to ($37,100 reserve not met).
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX6RCROL View Post
I would not at all be surprised if the auction were ended early and the seller, as well as the truck, disappeared.
Has anyone notified eBay of the dubious nature in which this truck changed hands?
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:34 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

It will be intresting to see how all of this works out in the end...
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:19 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I'm sure somebody probably has..).. I'd hate to be the next owner when this shat hits the fan.. But, since the current possessor of the vehicle is fully aware of these conflicts of legal ownership it would be a very simple case for him to have to reimburse the poor person who next buys it if/when it is seized by NHTSA or LRNA... I could definitely see LRNA wanting to get this vehicle back even if purely from a liability issue... Imagine if the next owner had a car accident with fatalities and then it was found to be a non-compliant show/display vehicle only.. not permitted for use on public roads... Boy... Major lawsuit with land rover as they were the initial importer of this vehicle under very strict rules that it not be released to the public...
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I'm sure somebody probably has..).. I'd hate to be the next owner when this shat hits the fan.. But, since the current possessor of the vehicle is fully aware of these conflicts of legal ownership it would be a very simple case for him to have to reimburse the poor person who next buys it if/when it is seized by NHTSA or LRNA... I could definitely see LRNA wanting to get this vehicle back even if purely from a liability issue... Imagine if the next owner had a car accident with fatalities and then it was found to be a non-compliant show/display vehicle only.. not permitted for use on public roads... Boy... Major lawsuit with land rover as they were the initial importer of this vehicle under very strict rules that it not be released to the public...
Actually, that's a very valid point Shayne.
Forget about the dealings that went on between the dirt farmer who sold the truck out from under Webb and Tohelluride, I don't think many of us were aware of the circumstances under which this was imported originally....until now. It is totally separate from the ownership dispute.
Was LRNA actually authorized to sell the truck to Webb in the first place? (Or as Matt suggests, if they obtained permission from NHTSA)
From a liability standpoint, it represents a huge landmine to LRNA. They were the entity that imported the truck and were the custodian of the vehicle that was supposed to account for its whereabouts etc. if I understand the Show & Display rule correctly.
I'm curious how this will pan out from that standpoint as well as ownership in general.
This thread is a good read in that it brings up some valid pitfalls and potential problems, though I hate to see things degrade into name calling.

Stick to facts and real issues like you just said.
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:34 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

I know I'm going to cop some flack for what I am about to say but I'm gonna say it anyway.. I'm pretty thick skinned of late,.... Does anybody know a good lawyer who is well versed in Colorado law who might be willing to take a look at where Webb might be able to get his truck back...either by the proper so called abandonment paperwork was done or no good faith effort to notify the owner, etc etc... I would be happy to contribute to the "get Webb back HIS camel" fund.. Even if just to have a temporary injunction placed on the vehicle pending a real court hearing with opposing counsel.. Not a steamrolling..
Or alternatively does anyone have some insider track to having a whisper in land rover corporate'a ear... I have already reached out to a couple of contacts and am waiting to hear back but the more noise the better...

------ Follow up post added June 26th, 2014 08:36 PM ------

Thanks Jackie.... It was hard to reign in my words throughout this whole sordid mess as I knew the other side of the story...
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:55 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

That's completely not true..as I see it Webb was granted custodian of the vehicle either for his services or continued services training camel trophy drivers... I am sure this was used at training facilities which were private properties, but if a new owner purchases it I would be inclined to say that would NOT still be its primary use... Obviously Webb wasn't using it as daily transportation hence the reason it was stored at his brothers place..
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
That's completely not true..as I see it Webb was granted custodian of the vehicle either for his services or continued services training camel trophy drivers... I am sure this was used at training facilities which were private properties, but if a new owner purchases it I would be inclined to say that would NOT still be its primary use... Obviously Webb wasn't using it as daily transportation hence the reason it was stored at his brothers place..
But what's with the $1.00 invoice or bill of sale from LRNA to Webb posted in the eBay listing photos?
Custody and control being different than ownership.
I'm now confused, but admittedly curious. Now I want to know the outcome like waiting for the new season of Game of Thrones (as in its a guilty pleasure)
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
But what's with the $1.00 invoice or bill of sale from LRNA to Webb posted in the eBay listing photos?
Brent/tohelluride, just pay Webber back his $1.00 and call it even!

Webb was such a good custodian to the truck...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Brent/tohelluride, just pay Webber back his $1.00 and call it even!

Webb was such a good custodian to the truck...

yeah if I got a CT truck I'd just plow with it and leave it at someone else's house

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
'Dems fighting words ! Come to HH and we can figure out who the TRUE 9th-grade lunchroom champion is!
Okay, will I at least be able to bring a poncho in case a food fight breaks out?
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:24 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

I use the word custodian in the same context as owner... As I am not sure of how the ownership or whatever arrangement was between Webb and LRNA ..it may have been gifted, willed, bequeathed, sold..whatever..

------ Follow up post added June 26th, 2014 09:28 PM ------

He used the vehicle to train camel trophy drivers also.... I am sure it's seen its fair share of action... If Webb wasn't using it because as he said he was building a house I am sure he didn't have a lot of spare time.. And isn't it better that the truck was being used for something.. Being driven, moved etc etc.. Next you'll be saying it is sac religious to pop down to the corner store to get a gallon of milk in it...hell, I've never even driven 2 of mine...and one of them gets used in the rollover recovery displays at camel trophy shows... Shame on me...

------ Follow up post added June 26th, 2014 09:32 PM ------

Maybe Webb lives in a deed restricted community and he isn't allowed to have a vehicle with stickers on it as it is deemed a commercial vehicle..maybe he only had a spot for his daily drivers while he was building his house... Bottom line is... His (according to you) mistreatment/ neglect of his vehicle is not justification for someone selling his vehicle out from underneath him... Stolen... Bottom line..
Old June 26th, 2014, 11:54 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
In the state of Colorado, the Department of Revenue defines an abandoned vehicle as an automobile left on private property unauthorized for a period of 24 hours, a vehicle left on public property unauthorzied for a period of 48 hours or left at a retail automobile repair shop without retrieval by the owner. To get a title to claim ownership of an abandoned vehicle in Colorado, one must follow a few preparatory steps.

Step 1

Report the abandoned vehicle to the appropriate local Colorado law enforcement agency such as the city police department or the county sheriff's department. Get a police or sheriff department's report of an abandoned vehicle. Ask where the vehicle will be impounded.

Step 2

Publish a notice of locating an abandoned vehicle a Colorado newspaper of the vehicle's locality. The notice publication must state the make, model, color, approximate year, vehicle identification number and license plate number, if applicable to attempt to locate the owner. Order a publication certificate from the newspaper publisher.

Step 3

Download and complete the Colorado Department of Revenue's Application for Title and/or Registration from the Colorado.gov website (See Resources). Mail the form and publication certificate to the nearest Colorado Department of Revenue's branch office along with the $8.20 registration fee, as of 2010. Receive a new title and registration through the mail from the CDR's branch office.

Step 4

Take the title to the law enforcement agency storing the car in its impound yard. Provide the Colorado law enforcement agency with a copy of the new title and registration. Pay the storage/impound fee and take possession of the abandoned vehicle.

And in case were talking about property rather than a vehicle....

http://www.colorado.gov/treasury/gcp/images/upa.pdf

http://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/sb...rty-rules.aspx

I was firmly on the sellers side until I went back and read the whole story. He lost me when I read...

"Lesson of the day, lady's and gents, is to get a lawyer if you need one(you get what you pay for, especially when choosing a lawyer) and if you wanna tango with me, let's tango....cause I don't f*ck around. "

I read that and to me it sounds like the seller knew Webb would have easily gotten his truck back had he only known he needed a decent lawyer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1870097926.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	97666

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2023706612.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	97667
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Why would anyone go to court without a lawyer?
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:43 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

I agree totally.. And since bob the miner had all of the documentation for the vehicle he could have gotten in touch with the owner. Very easily.. I believe there was no attempt to contact the owner and I have not read or heard anything about it going to an impound lot which by the sound of it it needs to.. Somewhere along the lines though I believe it may have been referred to as farm equipment as it didn't have a title... But since it has a vin I think that would not be the case.. They would not have known the status of title at the time of impending etc..but once again... They had all of the documentation for it .. I knew the whole thing stank from the beginning... I would be interested to see the due process paperwork.. Tohellurides should be happy to show this if he has nothing to hide.. Exactly what paperwork does he have to show this... As I see it he has all that previous documentation for the vehicle only because it was left in the car.. Webb was at least smart enough to only leave a fax copy of the receipt of sale in there... He has the original..
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:30 AM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
http://www.denver-colorado-theft-cri...ty-in-colorado

"Understanding The Crime of Receiving Stolen Property In Colorado - 18-4-410 -18-4-401 – begins with the law itself and the Colorado cases interpreting that law. Theft by Receiving means – essentially - accepting a thing of value when you are aware that it is stolen."

"Rights in stolen property 18-4-405
All property obtained by theft, robbery, or burglary shall be restored to the owner, and no sale, whether in good faith on the part of the purchaser or not, shall divest the owner of his right to such property. The owner may maintain an action not only against the taker thereof but also against any person in whose possession he finds the property."
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:32 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX6RCROL View Post
http://www.denver-colorado-theft-cri...ty-in-colorado

"Understanding The Crime of Receiving Stolen Property In Colorado - 18-4-410 -18-4-401 – begins with the law itself and the Colorado cases interpreting that law. Theft by Receiving means – essentially - accepting a thing of value when you are aware that it is stolen."

"Rights in stolen property 18-4-405
All property obtained by theft, robbery, or burglary shall be restored to the owner, and no sale, whether in good faith on the part of the purchaser or not, shall divest the owner of his right to such property. The owner may maintain an action not only against the taker thereof but also against any person in whose possession he finds the property."
Is this vehicle stolen? Was this vehicle reported stolen? Wouldn't that have surfaced in the initial court proceedings?

I mean, your brother keeps pounding on everyone (Shayne) about posting opinions and that they are going to get the hammer brought down on them just for these opinion statements. I'd think allegations of accusing someone of having a stolen vehicle would fall into this category.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 27th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
This CT Disco was being treat like a POS.
Used as a snow plow?
Left at someones house for years?
Loaned by the brother to use at the local "Mud Bog"?

What a class act.
Now everybody thinks/finds out it might be worth some coin and they want a piece.

Keep up the fight Brent.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
disco