1992 200TDI rebuild photos. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 19th, 2010, 11:56 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

1992 200TDI rebuild photos.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=40ed8b9042 is where I've been posting my build photos. Things are starting to get to the point where I feel a little better sharing photos. Heading to the paint shop in the morning to grab the bulkhead and seat-box and got a pile of stuff coming from the UK by next weekend that should hopefully be enough to get things running again. (as long as I can decide on an engine-side noise/heat reduction material for the bulkhead so that can all get bolted in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2010, 02:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
looking good. For some reason your post's link wasn't working (asked for a facebook login) but your sig works fine:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=40ed8b9042

I like how they let you in to see everything dipped. I didn't read all of the descriptions though...
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Very nice! Love the rear cross member with the reinforced winch box. Wish I had one on my Marsland.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2010, 07:32 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yeah, still need to design and build a recessed receiver to bolt under it but we made the bottom plate there from 8mm, should be pretty hard to tweak no matter what I try to pull out of the mud

Old February 20th, 2010, 08:18 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Andrew, do you have these pictures loaded somewhere else? The damn hospital firewall won't let me on to facebook.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Not yet but I will try to get a timeline page up sometime this week, something I have been meaning to get around to for some time.

Old February 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I assume it is normal for things to really not line up right after fitting a new chassis, as well as the various hot-dipped bits to be off by a bit when you go to put them back together. The hand-winch is coming in handy today, got the bulkhead fitted, the tub fitted and the lower sill from the T-posts (separated the door post from the sills so the sills could be galvanized without doing the posts). Hope to add some photos in a few minutes, just need to wait for my phone/camera to charge up a little. Putting the final paint on the seat-box bottoms now and riveting things together in the morning to test-fit the floor panels to see how much more tweaking needs to be done to get things to line up correctly.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Nicely done.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Andrew, if you need new sway bar links, let me know. I have some new ones for sale.. Looks nice
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I did need new Swaybar links but got a full set from Britcar Pards, a newer vendor whom I cannot recommend enough so far. Quick and responsive with a great selection of parts Genuine, OEM, and Pattern (and all clearly marked as such) at www.brit-car.co.uk and most items were even cheaper than Paddocks.

Tomorrow (Friday) evening I get to pick up all of the rest of my bodywork (except the roof) from the paint shop, and I expect about 5 shipments of parts (including what I need to finish the drivetrain minus the D2 shaft core that is coming). In theory this might even be moving under its own power by Monday. (though the steering column is still out having bushings or new bearings fitted, need to go meet with him today and see what we've decided on).

So, lots more pics soon! I'm also working on a more comprehensive website and will post that as soon as I have most of my pics moved over and commented.

I think this is the part of the build where things get most exciting

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Added a pile more photos today, including the sound-reduction process on the bulkhead including application of butyl matting, mass-loaded vinyl inside and out and heat-shielding where appropriate. Sprayed the interior and inner fenders with bedliner this afternoon as well. Used the same bedliner to seal the seams of the vinyl layer on the engine side and will be putting on a full coat using a roller (the areas without heat shield) probably tomorrow to help give an easier to clean surface (when rolled on it goes on much thinner and without the stipple).

Got some more materials on the way, doing the seatbox from the inside and below but leaving the front and sides in body-colour paint, though I may apply a clear plastic layer in the areas likely to be kicked a lot.

Starting to feel like there's some progress. Waiting on the new order and will be able to finish the brake pedal box, should get the throttle hooked up tomorrow evening once the bedliner has had some time to harden up.

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:45 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The 110 is finally at the paint shop for the final body spray. Hopefully by next Wednesday I will have it back and some new photos. The only thing remaining will be to finish the dash and bring the castor back into spec.

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Looks great Andrew. If I'm not mistaken I think you used NAS spec '95-on reverse light lamp assemblies in place of the front side marker lights. I like the look of them up front next to the directionals.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Basically yes, the most recent photos are up at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=5be58a0c14 and hopefully I'll have a bunch more when I pick it up from paint on Friday!

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
did you have a full width intercooler and remove it ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
did you have a full width intercooler and remove it ?
Yes, but only temporarily. When we were looking at modifying it to fit properly (turns out it was a RHD model sent in error somehow) we found a minor leak. I had to head to the UK to pick up a 90 so brought it along in my luggage and while visiting Andrew at Allisport we decided that doing a custom fit one would be a better choice for my build.

The IC that is on the way is based on the 65mm thick Discovery core which adds significant volume over the Defender model and has mounting studs on both the top and bottom. I've moved my radiator back by about 4" which means that the IC can mount in the top 2/3rds of the rad (basically where the airflow is best and the winch will not get in the way) using the same rubber fittings as stock to preserve the vibration protection. The only caveat is with a top mounted IC the stock bonnet catch will not fit and will be replaced with the military style bonnet latches (using latches or pins or similar was always the plan anyway).

I'm not entirely sure how much additional performance adding about 30% air volume to the IC (over the 37% gain they claim with the standard Defender FMIC) will have but I suspect it will help the most once the turbo is upgraded at some point in the future to either a hybrid or a VNT, but for now it'll just be pump and boost tweaks.

Old August 27th, 2010, 09:46 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I finally got a few minutes to start writing up my build log and have finished up until about March now. The ongoing build will be updated regularly from now on and is located on http://www.offroad101.ca/ and if you don't see an update at least once a week feel free to yell at me, I could use the kick sometimes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
200tdi, rebuild, tdi