1988 Ninety - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 5th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure why "get an engine from Newman" keeps coming up. The engines I have seen him buy here all have issues. From what I know he doesn't even have time for his own engine swap that we have been trying to get together and do for months now, much less take the time to sort out an old 2.5 for Pedro. Point is, buying a troubled engine off the floor in Newman's barn is a bad plan forward. Devin in Richmond just imported a couple of 200 tdi engines or there is the one Jeff Payne has or import your own from the UK. These are all things I have already told you. Do the job once and be happy with the result.

Didn't that forum member here, Pablo in Ananndale just swap his 2.5 tithonus engine for a 200tdi ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2015, 09:10 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Not sure why "get an engine from Newman" keeps coming up. The engines I have seen him buy here all have issues. From what I know he doesn't even have time for his own engine swap that we have been trying to get together and do for months now, much less take the time to sort out an old 2.5 for Pedro. Point is, buying a troubled engine off the floor in Newman's barn is a bad plan forward. Devin in Richmond just imported a couple of 200 tdi engines or there is the one Jeff Payne has or import your own from the UK. These are all things I have already told you. Do the job once and be happy with the result.

Didn't that forum member here, Pablo in Ananndale just swap his 2.5 tithonus engine for a 200tdi ?
I actually agree with this statement and you know Rick better than I do.

I saw Pablo yesterday to pick up some stuff and saw the motor... It looked great.

Old August 5th, 2015, 09:25 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
And cracked pistons.
Oh crap! So... Rebuild or replace? Or replace, rebuild and replace?
I'm thinking the later.

What can crack all the pistons? Extreme heat?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2015, 09:36 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Bad piston metallurgy or heat treating? Just guessing.
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:00 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Oh crap! So... Rebuild or replace? Or replace, rebuild and replace?
I'm thinking the later.

What can crack all the pistons? Extreme heat?
rebuild is a waste of time and money. The truck shows 190k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Bad piston metallurgy or heat treating? Just guessing.
Also age and wear... But most likely the motor overheated.

At this point is just irrelevant speculation.

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

I saw Pablo yesterday to pick up some stuff and saw the motor... It looked great.
So are you going to score that NA motor from Pablo?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:03 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
So are you going to score that NA motor from Pablo?
Where the fuck I said that? That motor was bad...

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:16 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Where the fuck I said that? That motor was bad...
Wait, HIS motor was bad from the Tithonus? You said "saw the motor and it looked great"...seems reasonable to assume you were interested in it and/or the motor was in good nick. But if it's shot, obviously not - sorry if I misunderstood, it's tough to keep up with all the Pedro/Pablo nuances !
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
It's tough to keep up with all the Pedro/Pablo nuances !
Try texting them at the same time...
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:21 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Quote:
Lemme sssplain Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Try texting them at the same time...
LMAO... I've been called Pablo a million times

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
asif k.

Uncle Douglas is right, the 200tdi is the easiest conversion possible, closest to just 'dropping in'. If you import it direct, would cost about 2k for a good runner, not rebuilt. The 2.5 NA you would want to upgrade to a tdi later on anyway like everyone who lives with that engine for a while. A 300 tdi would be about the same price if you imported yourself but would need more parts and more work to install. The 'logical' think to do is to get a 200tdi unless you can get that 2.5NA for pretty much free and you don't have to pay anyone to help you install.
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asif k. View Post
Uncle Douglas is right, the 200tdi is the easiest conversion possible, closest to just 'dropping in'. If you import it direct, would cost about 2k for a good runner, not rebuilt. The 2.5 NA you would want to upgrade to a tdi later on anyway like everyone who lives with that engine for a while. A 300 tdi would be about the same price if you imported yourself but would need more parts and more work to install. The 'logical' think to do is to get a 200tdi unless you can get that 2.5NA for pretty much free and you don't have to pay anyone to help you install.
That was fast. Yesterday you were big V8 advocate.

What's a good runner typically come with? Does a "good runner" include the Hoses, Lines, Belts, Pumps, Wiring, Tensioners, etc. needed for a successful install? Does a Good Runner come with any guarantee? If not what happens if you put a good runner in and it shits the bed?
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:45 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:

Carlos... You know I love you... But this is not my case and this is not the place for this type of comments.

The seller was open about the motor and I knew the process involved.
I'm not putting blame on you or the seller, but rather the English man who knew he had a rotten pos but decided to sell possible with understated repairs...

Here you go....RN. Has internals for your engine.
Pull the short block, have. PETE clean and inspect components.
Appraise the cost of hard parts...then do a complete overhaul..it will be cheaper in the long run than to find something else which origins and performance are not known.
Further more now you will be able to dictate the end performance based on using factory or after market components.
It's a no brainer... Sensible and executable option.
I WILL pm or call later...with further options.
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:56 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Here's an option...

Old August 5th, 2015, 12:03 PM
asif k.

I guess I'm too nice to sell cars. I have already sold this car with full disclosure and I just chime in since this one happens to be a scenario where I can see what's going on with this rover post sale very easily. That, and the fact the Pedro has been in touch with me post sale so I figured it would be ok to share my thoughts on this board on the repair process. I'm giving Pedro my advice, I'm not talking to any of you other jerks so buzz off. To Carlos, there is no 'English Man' involved here, the car came from Italy and I'm not English. I sold it with full disclosure. Pedro has even responded to your initial post stating there is nothing of the sort going on but yet you strike back again anyway with the exact same opinion. To 1 of 40, its a used engine, it doesn't come with a guarantee for that price. The good runner claim is what it's represented as by the breaker's yard. I have nothing to do with it, not making any money on the engine import, just trying to connect Pedro with possible exporters from the UK.
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:10 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
I guess I'm too nice to sell cars. I have already sold this car with full disclosure and I just chime in since this one happens to be a scenario where I can see what's going on with this rover post sale very easily. That, and the fact the Pedro has been in touch with me post sale so I figured it would be ok to share my thoughts on this board on the repair process. I'm giving Pedro my advice, I'm not talking to any of you other jerks so buzz off. To Carlos, there is no 'English Man' involved here, the car came from Italy and I'm not English. I sold it with full disclosure. Pedro has even responded to your initial post stating there is nothing of the sort going on but yet you strike back again anyway with the exact same opinion. To 1 of 40, its a used engine, it doesn't come with a guarantee for that price. The good runner claim is what it's represented as by the breaker's yard. I have nothing to do with it, not making any money on the engine import, just trying to connect Pedro with possible exporters from the UK.
Asif... We are good.

Old August 5th, 2015, 12:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I think Clay (1of40) was referring to if he put a "used" 200Tdi into it (sourced separately)...what would be the guarantee/etc.

Don't worry, most of us knew that you sold the vehicle with full disclosure so there should be no "attacks" on you at all ....
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 5th, 2015, 12:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Don't worry, most of us knew that you sold the vehicle with full disclosure so there should be no "attacks" on you at all ....
Exactly. Never on my end. Asif was great to deal with.

I'm extremely happy with the truck ...and my boat anchor

Old August 5th, 2015, 12:32 PM
asif k.

As for guarantees, there is no such thing when you are installing engines that aren't readily available in the US and the seller who would stand behind it is overseas. That was my logic in recommending the V8, it would come from a local junk yard with some kind of 30-60 day warranty. There are certainly rebuilt 200 tdis available in the UK, but they cost about 1000-1500 pounds more than the 'good runners'.
I know most of the members here are nice people.
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:35 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I think Clay (1of40) was referring to if he put a "used" 200Tdi into it (sourced separately)...what would be the guarantee/etc.
Yes, my apologies, I assumed you were selling $2k tdi's. I suspect $2k is just the tip of the iceberg. The stuff below the surface is what we should be helping to identify and advising on IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores