1988 D110 Project - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:03 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'm getting ready to do the engine and drivetrain install. Getting all the parts lined up and ready to reinstall once it comes back from the shop. So I'm trying to build a list of items I need. If you have any of these parts, or know who I should call, please let me know.

Exhaust (complete, unless any of the V8 type is compatible?)
Dash finishing trim, the piece that caps the top of the lower dash.
Some kind of instrument binnacle, unsure what type, show me what you have.
Turbo boost gauge
RPM gauge
Oil temp gauge
EGT gauge
Front bumper
Speedo in MPH

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:39 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Some kind of instrument binnacle, unsure what type, show me what you have.
Check out Mr Steve Hoare's binnacle....

If that looks like a Disco2 rear door handle; that's because it is...

Attached Images

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:06 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
By 'instrument binnacle' do you mean like this?

If so, you can have it. Maybe someone can pick it up on their way to/from the Alvord Desert trip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	130449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:34 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Check out Mr Steve Hoare's binnacle....

If that looks like a Disco2 rear door handle; that's because it is...

That's crazy.... but... it.... looks good!

Paul, thanks! I would take it. Let me see if Jason still has one for me in Boise. I was actually asking about a dash top, or other style for the NAS 110 style dash.

Are you going to the Alvord?

1965 IIa SWB
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:44 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
That's crazy.... but... it.... looks good!

Paul, thanks! I would take it. Let me see if Jason still has one for me in Boise. I was actually asking about a dash top, or other style for the NAS 110 style dash.

Are you going to the Alvord?
No Alvord trip for me- just had back surgery. Sounds like some of those who are going may be passing through town though. If you want the part, I'm sure someone can RURR it to you if Jason's part falls through. I got it for free so I'll pass on the part for free.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 11:15 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Cool. The one in the pic looks pretty good. Jason said he has one too, but if I can get someone from PDX to pick this up I would love to get it.

Am I mistaken, or didn't Raptor used to have a full binnacle mount, and bezel? I'm only seeing the mount and the faceplate that mounts to the plastic binnacle on their web site.

1965 IIa SWB
Old October 7th, 2015, 11:17 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Where should I go to pick up a 300Tdi down pipe? I'm thinking down pipe, then have a local shop do back from there.

1965 IIa SWB
Old October 8th, 2015, 12:07 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK, the engine and trans are going into Ship's Mechanical next week. They will get prepped and ready for the vehicle to meet them there later. I decided to let Doug do the work on the engine to get it tuned and running so I have a good baseline to start from. After that, based on my research and study, I feel that I can do a lot of my own work on this engine when the need arrives.

Work has been slow since school started up. (I teach high school. I have four classes this year, two of them are new to me, I'm swamped....)

But I'm bit by bit getting the bits refurbished and ready to reuse, or throw out and buy new. Takes me about 10 minutes of work, 6-8 hours of waiting. But all in all, I save some money. Especially since some of these bolts really are fairly expensive. Some work well, some only so-so.

Pics below:
Good bolts, refurbished: https://flic.kr/p/zyNiga
Some are better than others: https://flic.kr/p/zgQqBf
After tumbling: https://flic.kr/p/yBLgZ5
After tumbling with leather: https://flic.kr/p/zhhhT6

1965 IIa SWB
Old November 4th, 2015, 12:48 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Work has been slow.... I'm a teacher, and once the school year starts, almost everything else just stops.

I'm starting to order parts though, need help in finding some things so I can get this thing on the way back to being a Rover.

• VDO Vision Gauges: Which PN's and where should I buy them? Amazon? Looking for boost gauge, EGT, tach, and speedo.
  • 300tdi down pipe.
  • Best place to buy hoses for intercooler, etc...

1965 IIa SWB
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:17 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
An example of restoring a part:
Which blaster are you using?
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:13 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Work has been slow.... I'm a teacher, and once the school year starts, almost everything else just stops. I'm starting to order parts though, need help in finding some things so I can get this thing on the way back to being a Rover.[*] VDO Vision Gauges: Which PN's and where should I buy them? Amazon? Looking for boost gauge, EGT, tach, and speedo.[*] 300tdi down pipe.[*] Best place to buy hoses for intercooler, etc...
Take a look at Intakehoses.com and maybe Zack at RN for down pipe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
eGauges.com - Auto Meter, Classic Instruments, Defi, Isspro and VDO Gauges, Senders, Mounting and Accessories

Do a search here on vdo vision gauges. There are a couple of threads but all the gauges and part numbers are there with the correct senders. I highly recommend a pyrometer kit. This is the one I instal. 310-153: Vision Black Pyrometers / EGT Gauge | VDO Gauges | eBuggies.com

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old November 4th, 2015, 08:23 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
Which blaster are you using?
I've got a crap little one from Harbor Freight that I modified a bit to fix their crap valves. Only good for small parts. I tried four different mediums before settling on playground sand from Home Depot. Works MUCH better than any real medium I ever tried.

1965 IIa SWB
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:41 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
eGauges.com - Auto Meter, Classic Instruments, Defi, Isspro and VDO Gauges, Senders, Mounting and Accessories

Do a search here on vdo vision gauges. There are a couple of threads but all the gauges and part numbers are there with the correct senders. I highly recommend a pyrometer kit. This is the one I instal. 310-153: Vision Black Pyrometers / EGT Gauge | VDO Gauges | eBuggies.com
Thanks for this info. I'm trying to find pics of the different parts in that kit. Is this what goes into the blanking plate where the EGR would be? Assuming you make your own hole and thread it in, or use a backing nut.

Am I wrong for wanting a digital readout on my volts? Shall I be dragged into the street and thus shot?

1965 IIa SWB
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:44 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Question for what might be the near future: I have noticed that my RRC still has the infrastructure for the air suspension installed. It has the shocks and springs upgrade, but the guts of the system are still in place and seem to be in good condition.

How have others put the compressor and tank to work doing alternative jobs in a 110?
How can I test the compressor and tank?

1965 IIa SWB
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
It's free and if it works (hook up to battery to test) I've seen people use it to air up tires or lockers. Not powerful but a with a tank it can be used and it's FREE!
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:42 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Work has been slow.... I'm a teacher, and once the school year starts, almost everything else just stops.

I'm starting to order parts though, need help in finding some things so I can get this thing on the way back to being a Rover.

• 300tdi down pipe.
  • Best place to buy hoses for intercooler, etc...
You do know we have just about every 300tdi part in stock right...

Also are a dealer for Allisport
Old December 3rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
You do know we have just about every 300tdi part in stock right... Also are a dealer for Allisport
Yep. I should have explained that I was meaning here in the Portland area for the hoses. And I'd take a used down pipe.

When it comes to putting the thing back together, if Shipman doesn't have it sitting in his shop 10 feet away, I plan on hitting you up for what I need.

1965 IIa SWB
Old December 7th, 2015, 12:17 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I have one lower NAS/Saudi style dash that may be incomplete because the HVAC was gutted at some point.

I have another lower 1993 dash that is complete, but I've already found one rats nest in there.....

QUESTION: Should I open up the lower dash and dive into that hell of ducting and Land Rover designed "air flow" mess? Any pointers on what I might come across in there?

1965 IIa SWB
Old December 7th, 2015, 12:49 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Assuming it's out of the truck, then sure, dive in. All you'll find (aside from a mouse house) is the levers which open and close the footwell heater doors. The metal panel under the tray just come out with screws and you can strengthen the spot where the actuation lever goes through with a threaded die and a couple nuts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, d110