1988 D110 Project - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 7th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnofish View Post
I think these were my exact words....2012....yikes! All kidding aside, good luck and hope you're having fun.
Have you not got it done yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2015, 12:29 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Me too.... 2 years into a 6 month project on the IIa... And actually, it's still not really "done".
My truck may have been on the road for a year, but it is not really done...
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Have you not got it done yet?
Closer every week! Between babies and a move half way across the country, its been a challenge. Rebuilt a land cruiser in 2003 and it was the same way... 4 year project.

While reading your rusty bolt stories I had to laugh out loud. I bought all that bolt breaking gear in a fit of rage at harbor freight and northern tool in an afternoon. oh yeah and about 4 cans of PB blaster until I discovered Kroil. All turned out to be a great way to teach my kids how to use a cut off wheel and plasma torch!

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/
Old July 8th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnofish View Post
Closer every week! Between babies and a move half way across the country, its been a challenge. Rebuilt a land cruiser in 2003 and it was the same way... 4 year project.

While reading your rusty bolt stories I had to laugh out loud. I bought all that bolt breaking gear in a fit of rage at harbor freight and northern tool in an afternoon. oh yeah and about 4 cans of PB blaster until I discovered Kroil. All turned out to be a great way to teach my kids how to use a cut off wheel and plasma torch!

Google Deal
Kroil and a map gas torch are what we use daily. Its amazing what two or three heat cycles and spray with kroil in between will loosen.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Kroil and a map gas torch are what we use daily. Its amazing what two or three heat cycles and spray with kroil in between will loosen.
I couldn't agree more. Keeping a level head helps a bit too!

Chip and RBBaily I've got about 1200 pics of my tear down (85 CSW 110) if you need anything for reference. Happy to help.
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
whats up with the multiple side lamps ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 8th, 2015, 02:47 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
whats up with the multiple side lamps ?
I really don't know. The previous owner said he had to put them in to meet Canadian DoT law....???? They act as full time running lights whenever the key is turned. I thought it would be easy to just pull the plug on them....... he wired it directly from the coil, loops through the wing, connects to the main harness for each wing blinker (???) then across the front to the other wing, connects there as well. He also has a single red wire from the coil to the starter solenoid.... I haven't figured it all out yet.

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Christ power from the coil direct to a lamp ? Cut those wires. The power to the coil is not fused, your fire potential was very high. The design of the defender wiring harness is such that there is additional capacity to add turn repeaters or parking lamps on the wing by simply plugging them in behind the headlamps. Amazing

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 8th, 2015, 03:04 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Christ power from the coil direct to a lamp ? Cut those wires. The power to the coil is not fused, your fire potential was very high. The design of the defender wiring harness is such that there is additional capacity to add turn repeaters or parking lamps on the wing by simply plugging them in behind the headlamps. Amazing
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He used an overly large wire for this. And he did go through a relay -- it's a relay.... no, I just need to post a pic.... I don't get it.

Now that I'm pulling parts apart, I'm interested in seeing what the heck is going on with this, so I'll track down where each of these wires go.

Oh, and what you say about putting them in behind the headlamps -- that's exactly what I would do, and what I've done with lamps on previous vehicles.... works fine, easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBB_8301 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	124577  

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 8th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He used an overly large wire for this. And he did go through a relay -- it's a relay.... no, I just need to post a pic.... I don't get it.

Now that I'm pulling parts apart, I'm interested in seeing what the heck is going on with this, so I'll track down where each of these wires go.

Oh, and what you say about putting them in behind the headlamps -- that's exactly what I would do, and what I've done with lamps on previous vehicles.... works fine, easy.
the wiring harness already has the plugs, simply plug in a new lamp with bullet connectors. Why anyone would do something different.....

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 8th, 2015, 03:57 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
That's what is confusing me even more. OK, sure wire your own complete circuit (even if you don't need to) but he seems to have not only wired it on it's own, but it's all wired into the main harness with those bullet connector sockets you are mentioning! ...glad I'm pulling this all apart to see what crap is inside.

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:44 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
QUESTION:

This is a bit in the future, but I had all sorts of good ideas about where I was going to put all the cool Tdi gauges and such when I was going to convert to standard dash. But now I'm keeping the NAS version, so.... where have you all done boost, EGT, and other gauges that I will be wanting to add? The Raptor dash doesn't really work now.

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 11th, 2015, 10:36 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
What should I do about stuck door hinge screws? They have been soaked with PB for two weeks from inside and out.

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 11th, 2015, 10:48 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Quote:
What should I do about stuck door hinge screws? They have been soaked with PB for two weeks from inside and out.
quickest way is to drill off the head. they are a bitch to get out if they are frozen in place.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old July 11th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Did the same.
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I drill the heads off 90% of the time

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 11th, 2015, 11:16 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Ready to do just that but was wondering what the aftermath will be -- will the screw come loose with the speed nut? Or is it the type that you don't have to worry about that with?

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 12th, 2015, 12:16 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
So what do I do with the screws stuck in the bulkhead though?

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 12th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
QUESTION: This is a bit in the future, but I had all sorts of good ideas about where I was going to put all the cool Tdi gauges and such when I was going to convert to standard dash. But now I'm keeping the NAS version, so.... where have you all done boost, EGT, and other gauges that I will be wanting to add? The Raptor dash doesn't really work now.
Since yours is a hard top, there is an overhead console you can install Gage's in for added coolness

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/lan...truck-cab.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, d110