1988 D110 Project - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 10th, 2016, 04:48 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Thanks, I went to a place in Portland that is recommended. They seem like they know what they are doing.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 05:23 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
All four injectors bad. Trying to predict next unforeseen expense/delay!
How did you determine they were bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 05:33 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
They were leaking out the body, fuel going down the side of the engine and burning.

1965 IIa SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:18 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
At that point I took them to a local shop, they called today = $450 to set all back right.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:10 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK... down to the wire.

Recent updates include:
  1. Lower dash installed. (turns out it is warped... I expect the screws at the passenger end to fail in a year or two.)
  2. Vent ducting modified and installed
  3. Wiring harness installed in the dash (includes figuring out the power to instruments, etc...)
  4. Seat box installed
  5. Seats installed
  6. Found a tunnel cover (needs some work, but will work)
  7. Brake booster/pedal/master reinstalled and bled (still no brake light working)
  8. Cleaned up the wings, prep for install
  9. Headliner installed
  10. Fixed the new Mantec tire carrier
  11. Refurb'd two injectors
  12. Received four new injectors
  13. Cleaned up the burned fuel from the engine where the injectors had leaked. Upon inspection, was close to full-blown catastrophe. CARRY AN EXTINGUISHER
  14. Began wiring process from senders to instruments
  15. Installed new steering dampener

Still to do:
  1. Install wings.......
  2. Install injectors (Slightly frightened. This feels like one of those things that won't be fixed with new injectors...)
  3. Install doors.......
  4. Get seat belts rebolted. (for some reason, I can't find the hardware.)
  5. Install main instrument pack

At this point, I should be able to drive. I expect to continue to work on it as I figure out the electrical and switches and get the dash back together. I'm purposefully wanting to drive it with the dash opened up so that I am sure all electrical and instrumentation is working properly, one at a time.

Problem is, if I don't get it driving by the end of this week, I will likely not get it driving till next Summer.... Once the school year starts, all home/car projects go out the window.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:17 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
OK... down to the wire.

Recent updates include:
  1. Lower dash installed. (turns out it is warped... I expect the screws at the passenger end to fail in a year or two.)
  3. Wiring harness installed in the dash (includes figuring out the power to instruments, etc...)
  4. Seat box installed
  5. Seats installed
  7. Brake booster/pedal/master reinstalled and bled (still no brake light working)
  9. Headliner installed
  13. Cleaned up the burned fuel from the engine where the injectors had leaked. Upon inspection, was close to full-blown catastrophe. CARRY AN EXTINGUISHER

Still to do:
  1. Install wings.......
  2. Install injectors (Slightly frightened. This feels like one of those things that won't be fixed with new injectors...)
  3. Install doors.......

At this point, I should be able to drive. I expect to continue to work on it as I figure out the electrical and switches and get the dash back together. I'm purposefully wanting to drive it with the dash opened up so that I am sure all electrical and instrumentation is working properly, one at a time.

Problem is, if I don't get it driving by the end of this week, I will likely not get it driving till next Summer.... Once the school year starts, all home/car projects go out the window.
Bring your part and tools to ABFM - I'll help you out while you pay for the pizza & beer after show hours...

And burning diesel on the outside of the engine is about impossible without something being seriously wrong with the block temperature - leaking is reasonable but burning? IE: take a spoon full of petrol and hold a propane torch to it for half a minute, do the same with diesel - getting diesel to burn takes massive heat.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:33 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I thought so too, but when you see the cloud of smoke...

I'm planning on being there, would certainly love input. I'll bring the 110 if I can manage.

I'm supposed to be driving the motocross track, but hope to mingle and get photos as well.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:28 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
I'm planning on being there, would certainly love input. I'll bring the 110 if I can manage.
Do it...been following your build - we're all pulling for you!!!
Old August 23rd, 2016, 02:09 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
OK... down to the wire.

Recent updates include:
  4. Seat box installed
  5. Seats installed
  9. Headliner installed

Still to do:
  1. Install wings.......
  3. Install doors.......

Prediction for #2 on the 'Still to do' list -- yup.
...Details once it is worked out...

I'm cursed...

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 23rd, 2016, 02:19 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Prediction for #2 on the 'Still to do' list -- yup.
...Details once it is worked out...

I'm cursed...
Fuel leaking out of the head outside the injector body?

I assume you fitted new crush washers in the correct orientation around the injector nozzles - did you check and make sure the old washers were all removed? A double washer can be a source of leaks. Cams are fitted correctly and are in good condition - the slight arc up to provide downward tension on the injector when the keeper nut is torqued in place.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 03:54 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'll just assume that if this is not my imagination, or ignorance, that the vendor will take care of the issue.

I finally got around to putting the new injectors in today, since I received my copper washers and such yesterday. Each injector was sealed and capped at both ends.

I opened one at a time and placed them in the engine one at a time. The copper washers went on per what pics I could find on the web, Land Rover Tool Box Videos, and a thread from this forum.

I then torqued them down and got set to put fuel lines onto the butt ends. I took the caps off one at a time, and on the second injector I could see that the three "tabs" which at recessed into the bottom of the cone shaped opening were sticking up out of the bottom of the cone, level with the top edge of the injector body.

At this point I simply stopped and contacted the vendor.

But is this really a defect, or am I just being paranoid?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2966883731.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	156300

I have not even touched it. But I can tell the fuel line will not fit on this injector as it sits now.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK, so Robert just contacted me to get a replacement.

I think I'm going to cry a little now.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:56 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
A little bit of good news. I'm back to where I was before the injector leaks.

The new injectors seem fine, and the old one that I used to replace the bad new one that I'm sending back seems to be doing OK as well. I had two of the four cleaned, since they were not exactly spraying well, but weren't leaking. I'll put the new one in when I get it.

However, there seems to be a knock at idle that wasn't there before. Am I wrong, or could a knock in this engine be something to do with injectors/timing? Would a new set of injectors mean the timing could be off now? The engine noise is so loud that I have a hard time figuring out where the knock is coming from.

Tomorrow I get back to the wings, and finalizing some of the wiring to instruments.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:54 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Bring your part and tools to ABFM - I'll help you out while you pay for the pizza & beer after show hours...

And burning diesel on the outside of the engine is about impossible without something being seriously wrong with the block temperature - leaking is reasonable but burning? IE: take a spoon full of petrol and hold a propane torch to it for half a minute, do the same with diesel - getting diesel to burn takes massive heat.
I like that process.

I usually tell people to put a lit match in a 55gallon drum of diesel.

I do not however tell them to do the same with gas/petrol. Lol

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:43 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK, so I've finalized the wiring for the EGT, Tach, and Oil PSI. They are in a temporary mount till I get my hands on a binnacle.

I got the new injectors in. One was bad, so I pulled it out (#2) and am using a cleaned up one that I had set aside. I think there is a tiny leak in this one, but it was running with four of these before.

Since I set it up like this, I have noticed that there seems to be a bit less smoke while at idle (I had assumed the leaking injectors were probably over-fueling or something a bit). But I think I detect a knock in the engine at idle.

It is at 30-40 psi (going down as it warms up), ~850 rpm, EGT just barely registering over 250 when revved, and normal/low operating temps.

QUESTION: When I rev up to 2400-2500, the engine starts getting rough. Smoke is visible from exhaust (grey). It's not like it's terrible, but if you were here, you'd notice it. The roughness is as it if starts hesitating, coughing...

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Your timing may be a touch off if smoke and hesitation under throttle.
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:29 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'll see about posting more info if I can get it out for a test drive tomorrow. It seems healthy enough to drive -- ?

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:44 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
You should consider getting it into a state in which you can drive it safely and put some long miles on it. Mine is night and day different with 1000 miles on it compared to what it acted like in my garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 25th, 2016, 11:08 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Well, I just found a crack in the head.

Right below injector #2, water seeping from a hairline crack/hole.......

Also, there is a distinct knock, and the ringing knock that I described earlier is certainly not my imagination. I'm actually feeling some hearing loss from the ringing.

Not really sure what to do now.

I was thinking I'd get back to trying to get the wings on tomorrow, but if I need to pull the head now... And I'm dreading attempting to get the doors on.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:57 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'm putting this project to bed. I have too many other things that I've been neglecting in trying to get this thing running, and now that the school year is starting up, I'm out of time anyway.

Once things started going bad, I started cutting back on items that didn't need to be done just yet. So although I have not taken any short cuts, I did stop spending money on heat and sound barriers, and I felt myself trying to think of other ways to save money. Once that started, I kind of knew this was doomed in the end. So it will be good and necessary to step back and save up some cash to finish it up correctly.

So one last set of questions, so I can keep my eyes open for the right time to jump on a fix: What precedence is there for a crack in the head like this? And what type, if any, recourse do I have for a fix short of full replacement?

1965 IIa SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, d110