1988 D110 Project - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
What to do about this? New seals.
could be the injector pipe is not tightened all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:27 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
This... check that theyre tight.
Or replace those damn little copper washers.

I didnt think your motor sounded bad at all during the running video...and like I said in one of your threads; mine smoked for several days before clearing up.
(I think mine was burning of crud/gunk in the intercooler and pipes.)

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:36 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
When you say that, you don't mean the nut with the forked bracket that holds it down, do you? Cause that is tight.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:45 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

No, the union that holds the pipe to the top of the injector. I just fixed a leak on mine yesterday. The pipe wasn't fully seated on the top of the injector and it was leaking. If it's leaking from the back side into the recess where the injector sits it may not be obvious. Also could be the crush washer on the injector itself.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:16 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Here's a horrible video of the test today. Note the smoke from exhaust at the end, I'd like your opinions: https://flic.kr/p/KNCd78
Thank you for not holding the phone vertical while taking video - nothing worse. But I do hear that kind of "bell" sound up front.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:44 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

There's something wrong with your EGT hookup. It should come up to temp very quickly. Perhaps your probe wires are reversed.

As for the oil leak, are you sure it's not just a river of diesel?

Who did your timing belt? Or more appropriately, how confident are you that it was done correctly?
Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:59 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yeah. The EGT did come up when I switched the leads. I read the instructions, swear I had it right. Then when I looked at a different diagram, I'd showed that the red wire should become the number one wire, positive.

Anyway, here are he vitals after I warmed it up and drove for a mile. EGT came up to something like 450 while pulling on slight hill. And oil pressure came down -- normal warm level?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1336050533.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	155051

The fuel leak is leak. Will be fixed somehow tomorrow.

The oil leak really is oil, it seemed to dramatically settle down for one reason or another.

I can't find source of ringing sound. Stethoscope did not reveal anything. Oddly, I didn't hear it on one run. Then heard it later. I will try running with no serpentine belt for a minute or two to see if the noise is still there or no.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:46 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
When you say that, you don't mean the nut with the forked bracket that holds it down, do you? Cause that is tight.
When you say tight. Are you saying torqued to spec?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
No, just that it was not loose. I don't have a torque wrench that will get in there without dismantling the lines too. So I'll get around to it when I can.

Warm PSI OK being at 27 or so?

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 4th, 2016, 01:43 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Someone tell me if this is a stupid idea. Given that the timing seems fine, and vitals seem fine. Although there are these leaks I'm needing to fix. Should I be running the engine and even driving it short distances?

My odd logic is this, compiled through the years of owning nine Rovers, that these vehicles don't like to sit. I've noticed that the Series truck, for instance, has gotten better now that I've been able to drive it on a regular basis. The engine in the 110 has been on a palette for at least 3 years. Driving it might be the only way to actually fix some things.

Or am I just mad?

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 4th, 2016, 02:21 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
When you say tight. Are you saying torqued to spec?
If the crush washer was reused at some point then torquing the retaining bracket may not seal the injector (if that's where the leak is coming from). As far as driving the truck, if you've owned nine rovers you shouldn't be asking that... . Only you can tell if there is something wrong with it, but your video sounds like both the 200tdi and 300tdi trucks that I have, and the smoke is similar. I've recently been making fuel adjustments on the IP to dial out the smoke and its a process. Some adjustments will change the sound of the engine too so probably not much to worry about. I say go for it!
Old August 4th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I say go for it!
x2

(disclaimer: not responsible if your motor blows up!)

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 4th, 2016, 02:31 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
The leak is odd. A new crush washer was used, and it was fitted by a professional. He's puzzled too, and has offered to drive 45 minutes to come see it.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 4th, 2016, 06:15 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
The leak is odd. A new crush washer was used, and it was fitted by a professional. He's puzzled too, and has offered to drive 45 minutes to come see it.
I'd take Doug up on that offer
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:04 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
We've talked and decided if the 110's leaks and such can be fixed as a matter of course, we will continue with the project, it's just that some of the final touches will have to be left out. If there are deeper problems, it will have to go on hold till winter. I guess that's just the way it is. Frustrating to know that I'm a good work session away from being legal to drive.

Really, I wouldn't care much, but if I could be honest for a moment, I had this vision in my head of my jr. high son and I being able to get out in this thing starting this spring. We had to put it off for the summer, OK... Maybe if I could get it done for the last camping trip of the summer, then some fall trips...... Well, now my son is going into high school, and his summers will soon be taken up with jobs, and trips with his friends, and basically I gave myself this summer for sure, probably next summer, but after that I don't know if he'll be around much anymore. Even if he is... four short years. It goes by very quickly.

So now we are trying to come up with some other ways to do epic father/son things. Lots of little stuff, just have to let go of the 110 overland dreams for a while.

That said, pending a whole lot of other projects I'm trying to get done around here before the weather turns, I'm going to do what I can to get this thing on the road as quickly (and correctly) as possible. So I seriously appreciate all the help the people on this site give me.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 5th, 2016, 08:19 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Dude, hang tight. You're not the first or only one. I made naive assumptions when I purchased what I thought was a ready 200 install kit. Upon inspection, thankfully, I was strongly advised to ditch my original plans of dropping it in over a long weekend and instead breakdown the engine to be sure it was not a nightmare internally as well. The finish line all of a sudden was indefinite so I think I know how you feel right now. I know the key for me was I had a good guy in my corner and he kept me on the straight and narrow to the end. Sounds like you have a new plan of attack coming together now. I look forward to Project 88-2.0.

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:45 PM
skitzy
Nick
91 D90 2.5NA doing LS Gen IV Thing

Registry
1988 D110 Project

Solution is to have n+1 Defender trucks. One is licensed and on the road, the n others are in various states as "projects".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 5th, 2016, 09:55 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Doug Shipman came all the way out check the engine this evening!

As I mentioned above, I think this engine is probably just needing to be run. I've noticed this with my other Rovers, they don't like to sit. This engine has been on a palette for at least 2-3 years.

This probably explains the leaks. The oil leak is not as bad, can be dealt with. The injector leaking will need to be figured out and dealt with, but that is what it is.

We figured the smoke coming from the engine itself must have been the diesel fuel that is running down the side of the engine from the leaking injector. It sure gave me a scare when I was driving it, but that must have been what it was.

The only thing that is still up in the air, is the knock/ringing I'm hearing from the front of the engine. I think it comes when the engine gets to full operating temps, because we didn't hear it when Doug was here, even after driving up the hill. However, I restarted the engine, and drove it again myself, and the ring came back. It is pretty loud. I can hear it in the house over the other engine noise.

I took the serpentine belt off, and the noise was still there. The only place I can sort of hear it with stethoscope is right where the serp tensioner is, but it isn't that pulley, since I could hear it with or without the belt on.

Thanks, Doug! And I'd love any input on the ringing I'm hearing if anyone has heard anything like it.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 10th, 2016, 02:39 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
All four injectors bad. Trying to predict next unforeseen expense/delay!

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:36 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
All four injectors bad. Trying to predict next unforeseen expense/delay!
I'll send you a PM of who/where I had mine rebuilt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, d110