Defender Source Forum banner

1986 D110 Tithonus Build Up

18K views 121 replies 26 participants last post by  mdubs 
#1 ·
So the idea of this buildup/modification thread is to slowly show my progress and get inputs/advice for parts and installation. The idea is to turn a 1986 RHD ex-MOD Tithonus into kind of a RHD 3 door 110 version of a NAS D90. I bought the truck from Chris about a year ago and since then have basically been gone on a Navy deployment the whole time, so I haven’t even really got a chance to drive it a whole lot. Coming home I have a bunch of parts in a pile at my parent’s house that need to be put on, so getting those on is the short term goal.

The truck had a lot of the modifications I wanted when I bought it. Freestyle wheels with Gateway Buckshot Mudder tires (with spacers), tan PVC soft top, black headlight surrounds and grill. It also has a custom wooden cubby box in between the front seats. Everything else was standard Tithonus except it was missing the Wright Off-Road sound proofing mats.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of the stuff I have bought has been through the forum (used), and I don’t intend this thing to be a show car. I’d like it to be a fun around-town truck that I can take on trips and do some off-roading eventually, but probably nothing crazy.
My vision is to eventually make the truck look like a cross between the Safari HP build and the color of this truck for sale in Texas. I initially wanted to go with an AA Yellow and Black Soft top, but I really like the Marine Blue/Tan top combo, plus I already have a like-new tan top.

Attachments

#3 ·
So as I get home from deployment, I’ll be putting on the parts I currently have and doing a big tune up so I can learn all the maintenance stuff.

Here’s the pile I need to install:

- OEM Brush Guard from Marlon that could use powdercoating and has some dings/missing screws on the actual headlight guards. That got bolted onto the MOD bumper, but I bought a used 93/94 style bumper that I will install. Also bought the Truck-Lite lights that go in the 93/94 bumper.

- Used Wright Off Road sound matting

- Used door cards.

- Used NAS steering wheel.

- Atlantic British Quick nuts for the half doors to make them easier to take off.

- Tith/Wolf cross bars/alpine bows from a guy in England via the Wolf/Tith Rovers group on FB to reduce the soft top flap.

- Masai swing-away tire carrier for a drop down tailgate and an extra Freestyle wheel for it (will need to get a tire mounted).

- New NAS-style step bumper from Stephen at Safari HP. I plan on painting the rear cross member a nice glossy black to make it look good with the new bumper.

- Plaque from Series Defender Outfitters that says “Tithonus” instead of having a number (also got the matching keychains).

- Series Defender Outfitter Interior and Exterior Stainless Steel Hardware kits (I got the D90 SW Exterior kit on Jason’s recommendation).

- Mud Stuff UK blind spot mirrors from 4x4 Overlander.

I’ll be taking off and selling/giving away the MOD front bumper, the rear bumperettes, the side mirrors (which are foggy), the wing-mounted aerial coaxial storage/antennae mounts, the radio battery stowage table/box in the back, aux terminal box, the radio aerial mounting bases on either side, the radio racking, and the NATO hitch (maybe).
I figure that will take me a while to get all that stuff on and off.

#4 · (Edited)
Short Term Ideas

-Get the Brush Guard, chequerplating and potentially the front external cage sandblasted/powdercoated in black to make it look better.

-Would like to get the Rovers North OEM style side steps to help with entry and to help when I’m taking the top off. The guy at RN said they won’t work with my truck due to it being ex-MOD, but I’m willing to drill some holes in the frame to mount it. I’ll be asking for help on this one eventually. The LR part number is VPLDP0067, but RN has a pro-line version for almost half the cost. SIDERUNNER SET BLACK - 110 SW, RNB069, VPLDP0067 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts pictures)

-Get a Tuffy locking box and throw a cheap marine style radio in with and Aux jack and speakers in the door cards. Will be looking for sound system advice eventually.

-Put some Dynamat under the bonnet, behind the door cards and potentially under the matting (at least around the tunnel)

-Atlantic British Door top bag to store the doors when I take them off Door Top Bag - Atlantic British (9718 Same Fit As Part # DOOR TOP BAG ) - Land Rover miscellaneous from Atlantic British

- MUD Defender console

-Switch out my Tithonus Jerry can doors for the Wolf Doors

- Swap out tires for T/A KO2 A/T BFGoodrichs

Attachments

#5 ·
Long Term Ideas

-Paint it Marine Blue. Thinking about going with a Rhino/Raptor liner in the rear (or maybe even the whole truck). Not really sure what the difference between Tasman Blue and Marine Blue is, they look the same. I would love to do this earlier, but wife probably won’t let me drop $5K until I retire from the Navy and start flying for the airlines.

-Power Steering upgrade

-All Wheel trim Tan soft top with roll up/zip out windows

-VDO Gauge swap with the addition of a RPM gauge

-Winch mounted underneath the bumper similar to the factory 93 NAS 110 look.

-Upgrade the brakes to disc all the way around. I am not a fan of the current brakes.
-Swap to blade fuses

-A/C

-Engine swap to a 300 TDi or maybe even an Isuzu engine

-4 Rear bench seats or 2 bench seats and a storage box

-Scheel Mann seats (or at least re-trimming my faded seats)

-New bonnet without spare tire mounting hardware (considering keeping a spare mounted though)

-Replace/upgrade exhaust with stainless (had a piece rust out already).

-Replace the doors if they keep rusting (want to go galvanized)

-Galvanized frame

-X Brake Swap

-Badger cabin cover so I can keep the top off and avoid rain getting inside (I don’t have a garage)

-Other little things like: Metal Binnacle, Spare tire cover, new door hinges, upgraded sedimenter, upgraded master cylinder from SDO, phone/iPad mounting system, LED headlights, Garrison underseat storage, Side repeater lights, Subwolfer under the Tuffy box, fire extinguisher, anti-rattle door top kit.

I am excited to get home and start working on it and getting to drive it (oh yeah, and see my family after 7 months). Looking forward to your inputs and suggestions. As I said this is a long term project as I plan on keeping this thing forever.

#6 · (Edited)
Mirror Replacement

Swapped out the original mirrors for the MUD UK Blind Spot mirror. Very easy to swap out. They are much bigger and obviously clearer. I like them a lot. I'll be selling the old ones eventually.

Here's the link I got them from:
MUD Defender Blind Spot mirror - 4x4overlander

I have no clue how to rotate the pictures. Any one know how to do it?

Attachments

#7 ·
Swing Away Tire Carrier

This was a lot more painful than I thought it was going to be. The directions weren't great but we used existing hole in the crossmember (had to widen one) so I only had to drill the top two holes. Had to put some spacers in to get it to lock closed but now it works great. Looks a little funny with the tiny spare wheel and tire on the back, but I am getting another freestyle to put on it.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)

Attachments

#9 ·
93/94 Bumper & OEM Brush Guard

Brush guard has a little surface rust and a ding in the right light guard. Bumper was in incredible shape (Thanks Clay!)

I do need some help/advice on this one. I had to buy the Truck Lite bumper blinkers from RN and they were impossible to put in. I didn't want to force them, but even with a liberal application of lubrication I am not confident they are in there very well. Also, I have no idea how to actually hook them up electrically so they work. Maybe I can get Robert Davis or other Norfolk Defender guys to help me out. I'll trade know-how for beers, deal guys?

oh and after the NAS bumper goes on I'll put the badge on. Do I need aluminum rivets? And special measurements for where it goes?

Attachments

#11 ·
Abraham,
It's hard to say. Prior to this truck, I had never driven a Defender (and I probably had never driven a truck with drum brakes). I also haven't taken this truck off road or anything, so not sure I am the best source to make a judgement. They are very loud, and the truck fishtails pretty good when I brake really hard, even on dry roads. I plan on swapping over to the more traditional BFG A/Ts when these wear out, due to the fact that most of the time this truck will be on road as a semi-Daily Driver. These Buckshots are also pretty expensive and don't seem to last that long as far as miles go.

That being said they do look cool!

#13 ·
Abraham, It's hard to say. Prior to this truck, I had never driven a Defender (and I probably had never driven a truck with drum brakes). I also haven't taken this truck off road or anything, so not sure I am the best source to make a judgement. They are very loud, and the truck fishtails pretty good when I brake really hard, even on dry roads. I plan on swapping over to the more traditional BFG A/Ts when these wear out, due to the fact that most of the time this truck will be on road as a semi-Daily Driver. These Buckshots are also pretty expensive and don't seem to last that long as far as miles go. That being said they do look cool!
Thanks. I was just wondering. I have run a few sets in the past on series trucks.
I would guess the fish tailing isn't from the tires, I would guess brakes. Rears to be exact.

#19 ·
I had 6+ months stuck on a boat in the middle east to read through this forum and the nas/row forum to get a good idea of what I wanted it to look like at the end of the day. Everyone I reached out to here and there were super helpful.

NAS Step bumper and soft top bracing bars should go on next week. Any recommendations for sanding/painting the rear crossmember prior to install?

Attachments

#20 ·
Hey Matt. It's great to see your plan for the Tith. I'm sure being gone for as long as you have been that you are excited to be home and able to work on the truck. Looks like you've got some nice ideas and parts acquired to keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy your time home and time spent working on the truck. :thumb:

#25 ·
Latest Additions

Had some time with my Dad to get most of the rest of my stash on the truck. We added the hood support bars. They are a little rusty, but I think they will reduce the hood flap while driving and make the hood look less wrinkly when the top is on. Pretty easy to put on. Bought these from the Tith/Wolf group on FB. I also added some zip ties to help keep the padding on.

Attachments

#27 ·
NAS-style Step Bumper

This wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. We had done a bunch of prep work like removing the bumperttes and sanding/painting crossmember. It really just bolted right on. The spacers the provided were critical because one side of the crossmember was a little bent.

Attachments

#35 ·
First Week of no top

Weather has been great so I have been driving it everyday. Going to look into getting zippers added so I don't have to unscrew the cage to get the top off. It has been an awesome week!

Next week I should have the door cards and interior sound matting to clean up and install.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.