Defender Source Forum banner

1985 Land Rover 90 build up

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  swoodard23 
#1 ·
I purchased my 1985 90 a few weeks ago and have started to form it to my idea of a proper 90. I love these trucks from the old to the new but everyone has their favorite.

Here is what I started with. Pretty much stock 2.5 NAD truck with an improvised brush guard.

First order of business was to level and give a slight lift to the truck. I painted the wheels black. Will be selling the 235/85/16 and purchasing 255/85/16 for these wheels at a future date.

------ Follow up post added July 9th, 2016 10:38 PM ------

I've always been a fan of NAS defenders and really like the freestyle wheels.

See less See more
#3 ·

3.9l check
R380 check
1.2 transfer box check
Most of my power steering parts check
Rear disc brakes check

Not bad for $800

This thing is soon much faster than the 2.5 nad. I can take off in second and keep up with traffic. The r380 also shifts much easier and i prefer reverse being near fifth instead of first.

#7 ·
3.9l check R380 check 1.2 transfer box check Most of my power steering parts check Rear disc brakes check Not bad for $800 This thing is soon much faster than the 2.5 nad. I can take off in second and keep up with traffic. The r380 also shifts much easier and i prefer reverse being near fifth instead of first.
$800 is a nice buy.

#8 ·
Yeah. I figured the transmission was worth most of the asking price but the motor appears to be in good condition.

I had a chance to dry install the sliding rear windows. I plan on adding a/c but like the idea of having access to rear ventilation and I like the way they look better.

#10 ·
Sweet! Mine's an '85. Planning an engine & trans upgrade to a 5.3 GM V8 & 6-speed transmission. I am going for the NAS look too.

#11 ·
Yep. Love your truck. I have looked at your photos before. I like what you have done. What tunnel are you running with the auto? I am hoping I can still use the lt77 tunnel with the r380. I read somewhere that you can when using the longer bell housing.

I have the disco and am planning on doing a LHD conversion so I imagine I will swap both axles. I will at least do the rear for the disc brakes. I like RHD but have trouble seeing traffic when turning right. Plus I can use the disco steering box and will not have to modify the LHD shifter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.