Defender Source Forum banner

1985 90 200tdi threepointohhhh

Tags
1985 200tdi 90 tdi
12K views 61 replies 20 participants last post by  tomaco1 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm starting a fresh thread and tearing my 90 back down. ( Actually done already) It almost feels like a new build.
Trying to do everything I didn't do right the first time, insert "I told you so" here

I started to just do a frame swap for a newer 1997 chassis, figured I should paint it, redo the rusty bulkhead, new steering box, etc. newer style dash and vents. Proper under tub supports for the NAS SW roll bar. Etc.

Of course plans change so I decided to get a newer tub. Then a guest to the shop convinced me to get the 97 frame galvied. Then the bulkhead, after repair panels were installed and vents were cut out. Went back to Nicolas Galvanizer in NJ city to get the bulkhead done, great guys, didn't like the way it came out the first time, so back in acid. Acid stripped it clean, again. Second time was a charm looks very nice.
They also did the frame about a month ago.
One thing I noticed was that my 1985 bulkhead had the bigger hole for the heater already cut.
It was similar to a 1993 NAS 110 with A/C so that may be why.

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
Better to be lucky. The spare tire carrier and my new tub match up perfectly. Replaced the bushings from macmaster and drilled out the mounts so they could use regular bolts.

Still need the piece of the carrier that has the 45* angle and receives the black knob on the carrier? Anyone?

Doors are hung, turns out it was much easier to put the hinge on the bulkhead first and then bolt the door up.

Attachments

#37 ·
Big push to get it on the road. Lots of wiring, bled the brakes, I think, seem pretty good. Thank goodness for the power bleeder. Clutch done, bled that is. Been working for 4 days, and I can't remember what I did.
No matter what I do I can't seem to get the little s hard line at the clutch slave away from the exhaust down pipe.

Attachments

#51 ·
I have it running in my 110, but its tuned very conservatively due to the fact I done have an EGT gauge on it yet. It definitely made a difference, but I think it could still go a little more.
My 90 has the gauge but its not on the road yet, and I am still waiting to install the inter cooler, probably next week

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.