1984 110 big project...need advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 12th, 2013, 12:36 PM
110Landy
Paul
1984 110 2.5D

1984 110 big project...need advice

I pulled my leaking fuel tank yesterday to discover that the chassis is in really poor condition. I thought I could patch it up and get a few more years, but I think a new chassis would be cheaper in the end. Problem is, the US suppliers are pretty pricey. I also want a correct chassis and prefer the Richards. Anybody purchased one and had it shipped? They said they would ship to me but no cost provided. I can pick it up from the dock so that would help. The chassis is about $2000 USD.

Also, although I prefer to keep this all original, one option is to update the mounts for the plastic fuel tank rather than the current steel version. Is this a worthwhile upgrade?

After reading through some of the posts in this section, I am inspired but also a little scared. This is my first restoration.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2013, 01:12 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Landy View Post
Also, although I prefer to keep this all original, one option is to update the mounts for the plastic fuel tank rather than the current steel version. Is this a worthwhile upgrade?
By plastic fuel tank, do you mean using a rear-mount tank as opposed to an underseat tank?
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
By plastic fuel tank, do you mean using a rear-mount tank as opposed to an underseat tank?
Ed,
Only 90's had under seat tanks.

------ Follow up post added August 12th, 2013 01:15 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Landy View Post
I pulled my leaking fuel tank yesterday to discover that the chassis is in really poor condition. I thought I could patch it up and get a few more years, but I think a new chassis would be cheaper in the end. Problem is, the US suppliers are pretty pricey. I also want a correct chassis and prefer the Richards. Anybody purchased one and had it shipped? They said they would ship to me but no cost provided. I can pick it up from the dock so that would help. The chassis is about $2000 USD.

After reading through some of the posts in this section, I am inspired but also a little scared. This is my first restoration.

Paul
2k without shipping is no deal. Chassis don't ship bare- there will be a container involved. Why Richards and not Marsland ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2013, 01:16 PM
110Landy
Paul
1984 110 2.5D

Correct, the 110 has the rear mounted tank. I think they all had the steel tank until the TD5 version and then switched to the plastic tank. Also, this is a diesel if that makes any difference on the fuel tank choice.
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:18 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
oh, thanks Doug, Paul
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:23 PM
110Landy
Paul
1984 110 2.5D

Uncle Douglas, I guess I figured $5-800 for shipping to the port and I could pick it up. It would not be in it's own container. What would it cost to ship a chassis from Florida or Vermont to Virginia? This is the problem with being on a tight budget but expecting perfection.

As for maker, it looks like the Marsland only comes in the TD5 version. The Richards has the 2.5NA/2.5TD/200TDI version. Also, the Richards is 2.5mm and the Marsland is 2.0. That is less of an issue than the correct crossmember and chassis configuration.

Any advice is much appreciated. Having never done this, I am making it up as I go.

This is for a 1984 LR110 2.5NA. It will be "restored" to a working farm truck so I need the strength.
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:31 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Last time I spoke with Marshland, about 4 weeks ago, I was told they lost the insurance on US sales so they would be UK/EU only for now.

we have chassis in stock and more on the way from Richards. Give us a ring if we can help

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, 1984, advice