1983 110 rebuild...sort of... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

John,
I have not been able to drive it yet...it is now getting a new front axle (to complete the RHD ro LHD swap) and hooking up the wiring and fuel and hydraulic lines...but I am certain that driving a RHD truck is not for me in any circumstance. My brain just doesn't work like that. As I drove it before the project started I found everything to be so alien that I just stopped driving it until I could begin the conversion...once its converted, I am sure it will feel more "right"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Got the Disco I front axle and power steering box installed on Saturday...many thanks to Doug of Dividing Creek for his excellent suggestion for going this route...very straightforward...now the truck is steerable from the correct side of the universe! Next...new timing belt, water pump...fuel lines...etc etc etc...hope to be running before the snow flies.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You are over the hump. That little stuff goes quickly

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

some progress

made huge progress finally yesterday...due to life and circumstances no giant steps forward since last November...did manage to source the Td5 dash connectors needed to wire up the dash so got that working...Glenn at therovershopinc.com installed the timing belt kit and built new hydraulic and fuel lines, new belts, and buttoned everything up...turned the ignition and she fired up the first time...dash pod warning lights all worked...200tdi sounded and smelled great! Put the fenders back on minus the new roll bar support brackets cause I realized am not sure how that's all supposed to go together yet, plus want to paint or powder coat em first...the only thing left is to wire up all the lights including the LED kit from East Coast Rovers that I've had for about 2 years in a box...man, this was a LOT of work....more to come, hopefully soon.
The snapshot is the critical application of Brakleen to timing belt compartment prior to belt and tensioner install...
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brakleen.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	25583  
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
glad to hear its up and running George. more pictures required

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:41 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Yeah George, more pics. Been waiting a long time to see your progress. Mine is no where close to engine start.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Looks like next Saturday will be the next opportunity for pix...will post then...am currently looking for pix of other people's LHD 200tdi engine bay's to see how air cleaner and power steering reservoir mount...another couple of sessions and I think I can drive her home to finish the various non-critical details...two pieces of greater interest may be my sourcing of a roll bar maker who can fabricate the front cage for $450 and also my experiment with a $120 Summit Racing heater setup...more to come
George
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rugbier has my old truck and should be able to get you photo's of what you need if you pm him.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

thanks Doug...didn't realize you had a new truck...when and where did you get the crew cab? what's it got in it?
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Here's some pix...items have been placed as per best fit rather than by example from other 200tdi's but I'll bet this is probably where things usually go...note non-stock Summit Racing heater..these heater hoses to be replaced by stock 200tdi hoses when they show up from George at Rovers Down South...just gotta install throttle cable and lights and put the doors and hood back on...
George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D110Bay1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	25649   Click image for larger version

Name:	D110Bay2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	25650  

Name:	D110Bay3.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	25651  
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the Summit heater. How did you "fix" it to the bulkhead??
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, would like more info on the heater fit.

The motor though is exposed to the elements - water. Is this wise?

How is the air input connected? To the stock vent?

Now all you need is a plenum system with flaps controlled by electric motors and you're modern! No more cable crap!
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

i took the bracket from the old RHD heater (it sits on top of the heater) and screwed it to the top of the summit...it just then screws into the existing nutserts on the bulkhead...you could make a bracket easily from some scrap sheet metal or angle iron scrap...on either side of the face just cut some triangular shape sheet metal to fit...Saturday I'll take some detail pix...as to motor being exposed, its sitting under the bonnet so its as dry as anything else under there...you can use the stock plenum or run a hose to the front of the fender or something...still got to work out the details...
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I apologize, I forgot to take pics. Will do on Monday , but I can tell you, it looks almost identcal as pic numero 3 ( except I just installed a NAS style Snorkel and the hose is between the air filter and the vent side )

Gustavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase View Post
Here's some pix...items have been placed as per best fit rather than by example from other 200tdi's but I'll bet this is probably where things usually go...note non-stock Summit Racing heater..these heater hoses to be replaced by stock 200tdi hoses when they show up from George at Rovers Down South...just gotta install throttle cable and lights and put the doors and hood back on...
George
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Here's the heater mount and location...the simple "L" bracket is bolted into the existing nut-serts...and attached to the top of the Summit Racing heater core box...
takes up a lot less room than the stock heater...we'll see how good it works...
George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D110HeatrMnt.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	25744   Click image for larger version

Name:	D110HtrPlacemnt.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	25745  

Name:	D110HtrSide.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	25746  
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

OK...finally started up the 200tdi transplant....the honor of turning the key went to Glenn Harris of therovershopinc.com
Glenn has been the one who made all the hard lines, changed the timing belt, figured out the crazy wiring snafus and so on...just need doors and a throttle cable and I can drive her home (50 miles) to button her up...here's the link:

how bout that!?!
George
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:06 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Nice work!. I love the sound of a diesel engine.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Here's the NAS style LED lites finally mounted and working that I bought on the group buy Jim organized couple years back...
George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D110LEDlites.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	26057  
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

OK...a milestone...the doors are back on, bonnet on, throttle cable on, new style td5 dash gauges and instrumentation all working, new blade style fuse box installed...all set to drive it to local muffler place for a straight thru exhaust on monday and then i can drive her home and use it while I take care of the interior fix up...started it up and drove it back and forth to test clutch function just maybe 4 feet due to temporary blockage by some shipping crates behind the truck...all works! And I must say, even without the muffler this 200Tdi is really quiet...many have said the 300tdi is quieter but this one is way quieter than my previous 300tdi was...
can't wait to get it back on the road next week!
George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	26507  
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

mechanicals, electrical, hydraulics...done.... But I drove it home 60 miles yesterday evening...nice bright Td5 dash llights (wish it wasn't a km per hour speedo) , LT77 is really low gearing, miss my R380 on the D90...wonder whats involved in a swap? Anyway...mount new tires, spats, cosmetics and cleaing up door rust now and we'll be done before the cold weather settles in...
thanks to all for their advice and counsel...couldn't have done it without you all and of course Glenn Harris at therovershopinc.com...
George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RoverDelivryShot.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	26894   Click image for larger version

Name:	RvrOvrall.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	26895  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild