1983 110 Rebuild - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 15th, 2010, 04:08 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
is that a fairy overdrive on the back of that t-case? cool..
Yup! Good eye.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2010, 11:31 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
All right, so I am at the point where it make the most sense to work on the tire carrier before I do anything else. I couldn't afford a Mantec one so I bought this huge/heavy-as-hell mount from a HMMWV for like $300. See this thread for more info:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...650#post207650

This thing weighs a ton. I think it's like 100 pounds. Ridiculous. I do not think the rear cross member can handle the torque if I mount it on the far right so I bought a 1/2" aluminum plate to reinforce it to the main rails using the tow bracket that came with the truck. The plate will be drilled, and using the tow bracket, it will be sandwiched between the bracket and the crossmember.

Please, this is trial and error, trying something new here, so if you have constructive criticism, I would appreciate it. I know it's overkill and not necessary but I already have this carrier so just trying to make it work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	25487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	25488  

Name:	IMG_0028.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	25489  

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
To be honest, sell it to Zimm and get something that fits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Why Aluminum plate? Does that 4 bolt match a rover wheel?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:22 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
To be honest, sell it to Zimm and get something that fits.
Hey Charles, I know but what fun would that be ? This is not unlike your trailer project, just wanted to try something different. Maybe if Shane comes out with his design soon I can stop all this nonsense.

Any pics of your new Series? Would love to see more of that truck.

------ Follow up post added March 2nd, 2010 12:24 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Why Aluminum plate? Does that 4 bolt match a rover wheel?
I chose aluminum because I don't have anything that can drill through 1/2 steel. It should be strong enough and I don't have to worry about rust. I do not think the 4 bolts match up. That's another project and another headache.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Although I'm a cheap bastard, I think you are going to find you are not going to save money here for one. Add up that aluminum plate and the hardware you are going to need to retrofit this and you are probably even at best. But worse I don't like the look and the position of the wheel looks too high to me as well. It'll block your rear view god and proper.

No pics of the series yet. The weather foiled plans to go get it last week, and don't expect to be able to go for a few more weeks.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Although I'm a cheap bastard, I think you are going to find you are not going to save money here for one. Add up that aluminum plate and the hardware you are going to need to retrofit this and you are probably even at best. But worse I don't like the look and the position of the wheel looks too high to me as well. It'll block your rear view god and proper.

No pics of the series yet. The weather foiled plans to go get it last week, and don't expect to be able to go for a few more weeks.
Haha, I know what you mean. I am worried about the position too. My FJ40 has the spare up high too but that was a LHD so it is behind the driver. The plate cost me $15. Not bad. You know how you commit to something, it becomes more of a challenge than anything. I know I can get a Mantec, tried and true, at anytime now that I know SafariRover has them if this doesn't work out. Just trying to figure out how not to drill through the rear crossmember. I'm going to try and use all the existing holes.

Sorry about the Series. I know I would be going crazy waiting for it.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Dude, any decent drill bit with a corded drill behind it will pass through 1/2" steel. We regularly drill 1" steel with handheld drills.

This is so far beyond what constructive criticism can help with.

Your aluminum plate is not going to help in any way. Somebody sell this guy a proper LR tire carrier...
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm going to chime in on the side of cutting your losses and going with something more conventional.

You should do what makes you happy, but it seems like this started as a way of economizing, but is not working out that way.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
as always Jim has a way of expressing my own sentiments in a much more polite and constructive way. Thanks Jim...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm going to chime in on the side of cutting your losses and going with something more conventional.

You should do what makes you happy, but it seems like this started as a way of economizing, but is not working out that way.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Whatever happened to bonnet mounted spares? Is it just too passe?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
....Somebody sell this guy a proper LR tire carrier...
Yeah for real! I really wish I knew Stephen had just brought in some carriers before I bought the damn thing. You should see my other post. Literally missed it by a few days. Anyway, this truck is just a toy for me. It's meant to be a fun project, not a prize restoration.

------ Follow up post added March 2nd, 2010 02:21 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
as always Jim has a way of expressing my own sentiments in a much more polite and constructive way. Thanks Jim...
No worries DB, I have thick skin. It's always fun to read your posts. I don't take anything personally. I am not an expert. I am not trying to prove anything to anyone. Just wanted to share my rebuild to anyone interested.

------ Follow up post added March 2nd, 2010 02:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Whatever happened to bonnet mounted spares? Is it just too passe?
No not too passee. I personally like it myself. Just wanted to try a tire carrier. Hoping to mod it to carry a Hi-lift somehow.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

While I agree with others about the carrier it sounds like you are going to use it anyway so I will throw out some ideas that might help.

scrap the alum plate

Cut the bottom of the tire carrier mount to match the angle of the rear crossmember (see red line).

Add a stiffner made of flat steel plate where you just made the cut (see green line). Have the plate extend under the under the angle part of the cross member (weld to tire carrier mount bolt to bottom of cross member) .

Weld a tube on the back of the tire carrier mount that goes into the large hole in the rear cross member. (kind of like the NAS step bumper)

Redrill the tire carrier to use the factory cross member mounting locations
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crazy.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	25503  
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
While I agree with others about the carrier it sounds like you are going to use it anyway so I will throw out some ideas that might help.

scrap the alum plate

Cut the bottom of the tire carrier mount to match the angle of the rear crossmember (see red line).

Add a stiffner made of flat steel plate where you just made the cut (see green line). Have the plate extend under the under the angle part of the cross member (weld to tire carrier mount bolt to bottom of cross member) .

Weld a tube on the back of the tire carrier mount that goes into the large hole in the rear cross member. (kind of like the NAS step bumper)

X2... then you can always ut the actual tire mount down and make it shorter if it sits too high or out too far..

looks overkill imo..
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yes very constructive advise Dave. Only issue I see is he destroys the value of the carrier, defeating the ability to sell it at his cost or better if he changes his mind later. But very good advise if he wants to move forward with it.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Replace that dopey tractor top link thing with a hydraulic cylinder. Snag a Mercruiser trim pump from Ebay for $40 and a cylinder from Surplus Center. Wire it in to a switch by the rear door. Get some trick stainless rod ends from McMaster Carr and you'll have everyone here asking for one instead if telling you how fawked up it is.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
...Add a stiffner made of flat steel plate where you just made the cut (see green line). Have the plate extend under the under the angle part of the cross member (weld to tire carrier mount bolt to bottom of cross member) .

Dave, THAT is a great idea! I was going to drill the original mount to use that big hole but maybe welding a tube to fit in the hole would be better. Maybe I should just fab an adapter "sandwich" plate. That way keeping the original mount untouched, and resell the Behemoth when I finally come to my senses and get a Mantec!

Thanks for realizing my insanity but still giving constructive advice. It's like watching "The Bachelor" choose Vienna over all the other beautiful women--what is he thinking?!. Haha--Yes I watch the show but only to "work" on my relationship with my girl. I swear.

Let me know if you need any more measurements from the bulkhead.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Cleaned up the clutch box and new master cylinder. I noticed the new cylinder left a gap when mated to the clutch box so had to use rtv to seal out that annoying drip on my foot during hurricane season here in Florida.

Also started routing new fuel lines with new external fuel pump. Not too crazy about the location of the pump but that's where the original was. May have to make some kind of protective brace for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	25524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006_2.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	25525  

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	25526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	25527  

Name:	IMG_00111.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	25528  

Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

I just found your build thread and I must say that it's awsome.... I liked it so much that I had to go to the beginning and read all of your posts. I must say... I was about ready buy and rebuild a 78 scout but now I have changed my mind.. .. how much of a pain was it to import your 110 from England ? Hell even my wife likes the Defender ( D90 ) better than the scout so she made me clean out the garage for "Her" project... Keep the picts coming
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Easy to get a 110 from england in if it is 83, 84 or 85.

Call Doug

www.dividingcreekroverimports.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild