1983 110 Rebuild - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Some more pics of the progress. Finished cleaning everything. Bulkhead and replacement panels covered in POR15. New battery box too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005_5.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	25028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008_5.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	25029  

Name:	IMG_0013_5.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	25030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014_5.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	25031  

Name:	IMG_0016_4.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	578.8 KB
ID:	25032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003_5.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	544.2 KB
ID:	25033  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Looking good. Spray some waxoyl up the pillars on the bulkhead and into the top part of the bulkhead (it is hollow). If you don't want to pay for waxoyl, get a pound of parrifin wax and disolve in a 1/2 gallon to a gallon of mineral spirits and then thicken with a light oil (mineral oil) and use that instead.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

thanks for the pictures, looks awesome! keep them coming, it is interesting to see how it comes up...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1987 View Post
thanks for the pictures, looks awesome! keep them coming...

I can say the same to you. Haha

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2010 02:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Looking good. Spray some waxoyl up the pillars on the bulkhead and into the top part of the bulkhead (it is hollow). If you don't want to pay for waxoyl, get a pound of parrifin wax and disolve in a 1/2 gallon to a gallon of mineral spirits and then thicken with a light oil (mineral oil) and use that instead.
Thanks Ron. I have never used Waxoyl before. Does it run when heated? Don't really want "wax" all over the inside of the engine bay. Do you think 1 aerosol can from RN is enough to cover the pillars and top of the bulkhead?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij

One can will do. You spray the INTERIOR parts of the bulkhead. It might run a bit with the heat (I doubt it once it dries but I have not any heat experience other than the stuff on my crossmember near the tailpipe still looks fine), but it will still leave a coating and will just drip through the inside of the bulkhead.

edit: you want the clear stuff not the black stuff. Clear stuff inside, black stuff outside.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
looks nice but you have to weld those bulkhead pans in and refinish after. Why bother with the POR before welding???
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I can weld but not very well. I will just bolt and glue them in, this way I can remove them if I needed to. Wanted them covered before glueing.

Old February 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Fail. Those are a structural section and MUST be welded. They add rigidity to the A pillar, steering, and braking components. If you can't find a welder to fit them for you, then screw them in place with self tappers and take the whole assembly somewhere to be seamed up by someone with the right equipment and skills. You are doing such a nice job, shame to ruin it by taking such a dangerous and short-sighted shortcut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I can weld but not very well. I will just bolt and glue them in, this way I can remove them if I needed to. Wanted them covered before glueing.
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Fail. Those are a structural section and MUST be welded. They add rigidity to the A pillar, steering, and braking components. If you can't find a welder to fit them for you, then screw them in place with self tappers and take the whole assembly somewhere to be seamed up by someone with the right equipment and skills. You are doing such a nice job, shame to ruin it by taking such a dangerous and short-sighted shortcut.
If he gets proper panel bonding adhesive (expensive and you probably have to clean off the POR where you glue them together) and rivets/bolts them in, it will be as strong as welding, but I agree on it should be welded (which, BTW factory was only spot welded for the most part).
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Perhaps I was harsh. But it should be welded. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If he gets proper panel bonding adhesive (expensive and you probably have to clean off the POR where you glue them together) and rivets/bolts them in, it will be as strong as welding, but I agree on it should be welded (which, BTW factory was only spot welded for the most part).
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:26 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Man this is a hard course! Last test I failed was Fortran. Haha.

Thanks DB and Ron. Your advice is noted and greatly appreciated. I do not think you were being harsh, just honest and shows how much you really care about safety and our trucks. I know I am half-assing some things here. I completely agree. It should be welded. It's just a matter of choosing the "best" of what is available to me. If I could I would buy a new bulkhead. Given the sorry state the original bulkhead was in, it has been running around rotted for the last few years, it seemed to take things in stride and held up ok. I think it is now much stronger than it had been. It will be bolted every 2 inch around the perimeter. Only time will tell.

Old February 13th, 2010, 09:55 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
New brake lines, flex lines, and pads. Rear drum pads and cylinder done a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	25142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	25143  

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	25144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	25145  

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	25146  

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Got the repair panels bolted and glued in. Ended up using 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant, couldn't find any in black. Should be a pretty solid adhesion. Now I gotta wait 7 days for it to cure before I can paint over them to match.

Also had time to put the bulkhead back on the chassis. Didn't think I would ever get to this point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001_6.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	25195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004_6.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	25196  

Name:	IMG_0005_6.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	25197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007_6.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	25198  

Name:	IMG_0008_6.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	25199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011_5.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	25200  

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	25201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	25202  

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	25203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	25204  

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Well done. Although I too am in the weld and then galvy team, that looks like it will hold up just fine.
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:48 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Just out of curiousity why didn't you convert it to LHD while you had it taken down this far? Sorry if you've answered this somewhere and I missed it.

Thanks for all the photos, it's been awesome to watch it all come together.

Alex
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Alexandra---my Series III is LHD so I was specifically looking for a RHD truck. I kinda like it. And if I ever decide to deliver mail I'll be set! Haha. It is a pain every time I go to my sister's house which has that stupid keypad you have to punch to get in. Keeping the truck in the middle of the road takes a little getting used to. Keep thinking I should be on the left edge of the road and end up driving in both lanes or on the shoulder.

Charles---yes I too agree it should be welded and galvanize. I ended up spreading the adhesive around so it was completely covering the panels, not just in strips as in the picture. If it works as advertise, it should be pretty solid.

Old February 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Alexandra---my Series III is LHD so I was specifically looking for a RHD truck. I kinda like it. And if I ever decide to deliver mail I'll be set! Haha. It is a pain every time I go to my sister's house which has that stupid keypad you have to punch to get in. Keeping the truck in the middle of the road takes a little getting used to. Keep thinking I should be on the left edge of the road and end up driving in both lanes or on the shoulder.

Charles---yes I too agree it should be welded and galvanize. I ended up spreading the adhesive around so it was completely covering the panels, not just in strips as in the picture. If it works as advertise, it should be pretty solid.
Plus you live in florida ....
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

wow it progresses fast :-)

Old February 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
It is a pain every time I go to my sister's house which has that stupid keypad you have to punch to get in. .
You could back in- you live in FL, everyone just reverses to get where they want to be anyway
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
is that a fairy overdrive on the back of that t-case? cool..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild