1983 110 Rebuild - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:51 AM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
I think you may of given inspiration to do Wheel bearing/hubs one is leaking have been eyeing it as I have done frame in POR-15 so have been under there a lot. & thanks for the lr4x4.index info that will certaintly help.

Good Luck finishing your truck.

Craig - I am not really sure what you mean by 2 panels and a space in between. My footwells consisted of the actual footwell and a reinforcement on the inside. There are replacement panels available but I just couldn't afford them. I made mine for about $50. I took a lot of pictures but I used this when I did my swivel, helped a lot:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7546
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5601[/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Lets see some pic of the bulkhead repairs
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Sure! I am off today anyway. Here they are from the front. Bolted in and getting prepped for paint. Why did you leave the 2 square areas on the bulkhead you ask? I only cut back to good metal, the rusts were located mostly towards the bottom. I left the 2 square areas because that is where the chassis mount holes are. Didn't want to have any alignment problems later when I put it back on the chassis.

Anyone who's ever rebuilt their bulkhead knows what a PITA the door hinges bolts are to get off. I had to drill through 2 of them to get them out. Definitely going to use anti-seize on the bolts when I put them back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_4.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	24872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005_4.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	24873  

Name:	IMG_0003_4.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	24874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002_4.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	24875  

Name:	IMG_0006_4.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	24876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007_4.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	24877  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

wow that is like building a car from scratch. awesome

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
MUDSUX sez: Don't get it on your skin, will be there for days and will not come off until the skin comes off. Don't ask me how I know.

I once had the top of a quart of Chassis Black literally explode off the can when it popped loose (it tends to glue itself shut). It sprayed my head with about a cup's worth. In my hair, down the front of my clothes, all over the workbench. I freaked. I spent about an hour rinsing my self with the special solvent. It burned fiercely.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Nice work, but make sure to plug off the ends of those ribs that you cut off or they will trap water/dirt and rust out again.

Since you have gone this far, why not take it out and have it blasted and galvanized? Your grandkids will thank you.

Ron
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1987 View Post
wow that is like building a car from scratch. awesome
Unfortunately that is our plight here in the States. We can't just run out to the store/dealer and buy replacement parts. There aren't any to go to.

As to your previous post, mud in the roof carpet? Nice. There are a couple of different types of lockers out there. I think the ARBs are the most commonly used on our Rovers. They are powered by an air compressor and you should see an air hose attachment somewhere on the diff.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/arb-air-locker.htm
http://www.coloradok5.com/arbinstall.shtml

Some other lockers include Detroit Lockers and KAM lockers. Here's a video from some of the guys here on the forum.

Someone with more experience will jump in I am sure.

------ Follow up post added February 3rd, 2010 11:45 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Since you have gone this far, why not take it out and have it blasted and galvanized? Your grandkids will thank you.

Ron
Very simple, I have not won the PowerBall lottery yet. Still playing though.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

and ordering from GB? Most parts we order also coming from GB, they just have shipment coming every week so it is not usually long to wait. also they manage many cheaper parts (just grabbed from the production line, not going through packaging etc)

thanks for the links, will crawl under the car and check if there is some hose attachment... maybe he had it also only for tires.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
and ordering from GB? Most parts we order also coming from GB, they just have shipment coming every week so it is not usually long to wait. also they manage many cheaper parts (just grabbed from the production line, not going through packaging etc)

thanks for the links, will crawl under the car and check if there is some hose attachment... maybe he had it also only for tires.
Yes, some of us do end up ordering from the UK. The shipping cost usually kills it for us though.

Do you feel or hear a clicking sound in the rear when you make a turn?

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

not some kind of clicking which i would find weird

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
No clicking sound when turning? Probably not Detroit locker or some kind of limited slip locker. I was told they make a sound when you turn.

Old February 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

i dont know which is stock there? I didnt found any place where hose for compressed air could be attached

Old February 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
i dont know which is stock there? I didnt found any place where hose for compressed air could be attached
Yeah, I do not think you have any lockers in there. Only one way to find out for sure. Gotta get your hands dirty. Atleast it sounds like your diff lock is working correctly though.

Old February 7th, 2010, 04:46 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

probably don't even need them with the TC working pretty fine. or what is opinion about TC in the 4x4xPro World?

Old February 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
probably don't even need them with the TC working pretty fine. or what is opinion about TC in the 4x4xPro World
Yeah, the TC works great but when you drive up and there's an old VW bug blocking the entrance to your ice cream shop, you're gonna want to the lockers. The 4x4xPro World says lockers are necessary for ice cream.

Old February 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

you are laughing now, but if you would see my way to the ice cream shop, you would stay with open mouth! It is longer then going on the street, but the way is much worse!

Old February 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post

------ Follow up post added February 3rd, 2010 11:45 AM ------

Very simple, I have not won the PowerBall lottery yet. Still playing though.
Total cost at the very outside would be in the $500 range and, if you ever sell the truck, you will get it back two fold.
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Total cost at the very outside would be in the $500 range and, if you ever sell the truck, you will get it back two fold.
Damn Ron why did you tell me that? I just figured it would be close to $1500-2000. The closest one here is in Tampa. Hmmm.....

Old February 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Getting stuff galvanized is pretty cheap and well worth it.

Most places have a min charge so you can blast a bunch of stuff and have it dipped for the same price as just the bulkhead.

I took a bunch of stuff down a month ago and it was $150

You know you want to
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
DAMN! I just POR15 the bulkhead today!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild