1983 110 Rebuild - Page 31 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 18th, 2016, 09:44 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Piston rebuild

Staying true to DIY Land Rover mechanics all over the world, I have moved my engine rebuild station into the kitchen

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6644.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	145403Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6643.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	145404

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Sweet! Your wife must be excited about that, assuming are still married, right? And if you are, does she have a sister? One of my favorite rebuild threads by the way, incredible work!
Old March 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Still married and she has 2 younger sisters

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2016, 09:50 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Some more progress tonight. There are a lot of rings that's for sure. Five per piston! I was careful to make sure they go in the right order and right side up. According to the manufacturer's instructions, there is a very specific sequence on how they are supposed to be put on. Besides being in the right position I am not so sure it matters if I put one on clockwise and the other counterclockwise but whatever.

Name:	DSCN6648.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	145456Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6649.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	145457

Old March 19th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Deves rings ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 20th, 2016, 08:57 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Deves rings ?

No. I don't think so. The machine shop provided them. Probably made by Britpart or Allmakes

Old March 20th, 2016, 10:20 AM
CJ's FJ
CJ
1985 90

Registry
Just read this! Well after the fist few pages, I just looked at the pictures

Great work!
Old March 24th, 2016, 02:49 PM
cruisermatt
Matt M
Rover-less Scum, 1990 TLC

Good to see some forwards progress Dr!

I keep forgetting, I have had the inspection cover you need for the R380 set-up in the backseat of my 62 for at least three months now, I need to bring it over sometime!

Old March 27th, 2016, 09:54 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermatt View Post
Good to see some forwards progress Dr!

I keep forgetting, I have had the inspection cover you need for the R380 set-up in the backseat of my 62 for at least three months now, I need to bring it over sometime!

Thanks Matt, I'll stop by the house some time to pick it up. Still waiting on JimC to finish rebuilding my FJ carb!

Old March 27th, 2016, 11:39 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Wow. I went through every page. It is pain as is to work on these at times. Thank you for spending time documenting and updating it for us.
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:47 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Rob Dassler Rebuilt R380 and LT230

So I just received 2 huge boxes from FedEx yesterday. Rob Dassler finished rebuilding my transmissions. He took everything apart, cleaned up the cases and repainted them. He was great to work with. Called to let me know what needed to be done and the turn around time was pretty quick.

Name:	DSCN6751.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	149118Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6752.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	149119Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6762.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	149124

He replaced all the switches with new ones

Name:	DSCN6759.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	149123

I ended up needing a different rear housing on the LT230 to get the correct speedo unit since the Disco LT230 uses an electronic one.

Name:	DSCN6757.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	149120Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6761.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	149121

He replaced that and also upgraded the front drive flange with the correct 110 size one since the Disco flange is bigger.

Name:	DSCN6758.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	149122

He also included these. I assume these are the correct ones for the speedo housing

Name:	DSCN6763.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	149125

Looks like he stamps his work. Found this on the R380.

Name:	DSCN6756.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	149126

Old May 10th, 2016, 01:39 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So I have been searching for the last few hours as to which type of oil to use in the transmission and I am about to go crazy. It seems MTF94 is what Ashcroft and LR is using. Redline MTL is what everyone else is using. I called Rob and he suggests Royal Purple Synchromax! This horse must be dead by now!

Old May 10th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I use Royal Purple Syncromax for gear box and their gear oil for diffs and transfer case.
Old May 10th, 2016, 04:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I use MTL but the Royal purple is a similar spec. I would be happy with either.
Old May 10th, 2016, 06:32 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I use MTL but the Royal purple is a similar spec. I would be happy with either.
Good enough for the Parts Ninja, good enough for me. Just placed an order on Amazon for the Redline MTL for the R380 and Redline 75W90 synthetic for the LT230.

Old May 11th, 2016, 01:25 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I spent hours one day researching the oil for the R380 and found lots of different opinions on various forums. I decided to get Amsoil's version of the MTF-94 that Land Rover recommends (link).
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:09 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Honda MTF.
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:46 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I spent hours one day researching the oil for the R380 and found lots of different opinions on various forums. I decided to get Amsoil's version of the MTF-94 that Land Rover recommends (link).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Honda MTF.

As Briggs would say: "I'm Ron-good" Hahahaha

Old November 1st, 2016, 12:33 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
It has been 6 months and I have made zero progress! I am halfway building up the bottom end of my 3.5 V8 and just realized I cannot find my timing cover/rockers/valve covers. From switching between 2 machine shops to work on the block and heads and moving to a new house, they have gone MIA. Now I am trying to track down another 3.5 V8 to use as a parts donor. There is so much behind the scenes BS that I am beyond frustrated!

I have spent so much time and money on this rebuild to run into this problem now. I have not driven this truck for more than 500 miles since I first got it in 2009. I am about to throw in the towel I am sooo over it!

Old November 1st, 2016, 01:00 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
You're too close now to give up. Hopefully someone will have the stuff you need. Don't forget to ask what their restocking fee will be because as soon as you get the new parts the original stuff will show up miraculously. It's probably your wife having fun watching you squirm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild