1983 110 Rebuild - Page 30 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 10th, 2014, 01:46 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
I don't have a 3.9l but from what I have heard is that the efi can be unreliable at times. I also live in Florida and trust me, any of the v8s work great.
3.5, 3.9, 4.2 all used the 14cu (x) injection system. dirt simple, easy to transplant into an early truck, and sought after by hot rodders looking to put the alum v8 in other makes. Discontinued in 1995 but still sought after.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2014, 09:48 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I also have an 83 110 county. Just some facts. The springs that were standard on the early 110s (or maybe only the countys) were from the range rovers. Early 110s also have more standard ground clearance than later defenders. Good luck with your build! Remember to protect those front seats, as far as I know they only came on the 110 county and are quite hard to find (they are really comfortable!!!) this is my before and after.
Thanks, didn't know that the early One Tens have a slightly higher ground clearance. Mine looks like I'm sitting at about 36 at the front. Thanks for the great thread btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-432033484.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	108555  

Old February 1st, 2015, 09:23 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Any updates on the 3.9 in this truck? I'm looking into a Tdi, but deep down I know I just don't have the money for it, so a 4.2 or 4.6 is more likely. How is the 3.9 in real life.... although none of the roads are "real" in Florida -- the .5 miles I drive into my neighborhood is a greater elevation change than anything in the entire state of Florida.
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in awhile. Just moved to a new house and trying to settle in. The engine, believe it or not, is still at the shop. Had to take it to a different engine shop since the first one was too busy...a very long story but promised to be done soon. Last I heard they are fitting the bearings to the camshaft. I ended up rebuilding the original 3.5 that came with the truck.

Quote:
......Remember to protect those front seats, as far as I know they only came on the 110 county and are quite hard to find (they are really comfortable!!!).

As for the front seats I am about to throw them out! I bought new retrim kits from Exmoor and apparently they don't fit the older hardback seats. I am now looking for a set of front seat frames.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2015, 10:56 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Did you buy new foam too? IIRC I had the same seats and have them re-trimmed in that modus trim to match the Puma 2nd row. I didn't buy new frames. I should have cleaned my better and had them re-finished when I did it.

New trims and seat heat are a great addition (Even in Florida I've have seat heat).
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
As for the front seats I am about to throw them out! I bought new retrim kits from Exmoor and apparently they don't fit the older hardback seats. I am now looking for a set of front seat frames.
Forrest,
Don't toss em. I'll take them. It looks like I may be making a Florida run in the next month or two.
Save them for me.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 1st, 2015, 12:07 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Forrest,
Don't toss em. I'll take them. It looks like I may be making a Florida run in the next month or two.
Save them for me.
No problem Doug. Hopefully I will have new seats by then!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:14 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Quote:
Forrest,
Keep us informed when you are coming. Coffee or whatever and Rover talk.
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:55 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Did you buy new foam too? IIRC I had the same seats and have them re-trimmed in that modus trim to match the Puma 2nd row. I didn't buy new frames. I should have cleaned my better and had them re-finished when I did it.

New trims and seat heat are a great addition (Even in Florida I've have seat heat).
My kit is complete with new foam. The foam is not molded for the older hardback seats. Some one was able to make it work but had to cut the foam. I really don't want to do that and would rather find the correct frames.

Old February 20th, 2015, 01:17 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
New Parts for 3.5 Rebuild

Just got some parts back/in for the rebuild. Decided to go Edelbrock instead of Holly carb. Also going with a Petronix dizzy. New pistons and cam. The shop resurfaced the flywheel too. Stephen from SafariHP just gave me a sweet deal on a pair of front seat frames! Will update the retrim soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5186.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	114210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5182.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	114211  

Name:	DSCN5180.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	114212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5178.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	114213  

Name:	DSCN5177.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	114214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5188.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	114215  

Old February 20th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Which Isky cam did you go with? I put one in a 3.5 EFI and was told by others after the fact it was not a good choice. Not enough low end tourqe or something.
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Look @ a Cloyes dual row timing chain. They come with a sprocket that lets you set cm timing for peak hp (high rpm) or torque (low rpm) or the stock setting.

Are those the original low compression heads ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 24th, 2015, 01:52 PM
ben
Bryan
Always in the works

Registry
The cam we're using is a grind from Isky. It's basically like an RV cam for the low end Tq. I can't remember the grind off the top of my head but I can get it if someone wants to know it.
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:24 PM
ben
Bryan
Always in the works

Registry
Quote:
Look @ a Cloyes dual row timing chain. They come with a sprocket that lets you set cm timing for peak hp (high rpm) or torque (low rpm) or the stock setting.

Are those the original low compression heads ?

The engine is a low compression engine @ 8.13to1. The double roller cam from Ted at TS Imported TS Imported Automotive - British Car and Parts Sales Pandora, Ohio I would say he's one of the most knowledgeable people on the Rover V8. Very good guy and knows a bunch. I know some people buy his stuff and resale it. He helped Edelbrock with the intake/carb setup that goes on the Rover V8. He can get short and long blocks also. 4.6 4.0. Like I said very good guy.

------ Follow up post added February 24th, 2015 02:28 PM ------

TS Imported Automotive - British Car and Parts Sales Pandora, Ohio
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you spending on rebuilding the 3.5?
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:55 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you spending on rebuilding the 3.5?

Is this a trick question? Seriously though, I stopped tracking after my third order of new bolts for the rebuild. The nuts and bolts alone totaled over $500, maybe close to $700, I can't remember. I just realized there was no point anymore. Now I just throw money at it.

Bryan would know the specifics as he has all the receipts from the engine shop. I am thinking it may have been cheaper to buy a new longblock but I wanted to learn how to rebuild a motor myself so I am doing it the hard way, and I wanted to keep the original motor with the truck. Machining the block and heads I can't do but I wanted to assemble it to see how everything goes together.

Just curious, roughly how much should it cost me?

Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:02 PM
ben
Bryan
Always in the works

Registry
I'll add it all up and let you know. I can't remember off the top of my head. I thought I gave you the receipt for the machine shop. Might be in the truck still. The new bolts were head bolts, rod bolts, flywheel bolts, and mains. They're all ARP and we got them from Ted. I'll look at the receipts and add it all up and let everyone know. The only thing that should differ from this build is machine shop cost at your location. All I can say about that is you get what you pay for when machining is concerned. The parts are what they are. You can chose to search and get the best deal on every part from multiple locations or you can get things from one source it's all personal preference.
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Defenderdude
Jason
1983 Defender 110

Man I want to do this to my 83 also
Old February 29th, 2016, 05:02 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
OMG I can't believe it's been a year since I updated this. So much has happened behind the scenes that I can't even begin to document. Anyway, trying to get back on track.

Here is the original 3.5 block back from the machine shop:

Name:	DSCN5543.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	143850

Crankshaft bearings:

Name:	DSCN5554.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	143851

New studs:

Name:	DSCN5557.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	143852

Crankshaft in:

Name:	DSCN5612.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	143853

Measuring for proper fit:

Name:	DSCN5619.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	143854Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5620.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	143855

Old March 1st, 2016, 08:48 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So I decided to drop the LT95 and Fairey OD and upgrade to the R380/LT230 in hopes of hiting 75mph. I found an R380 with bell housing from a 95 NAS D90 with 81K and bought an LT230 from a 2000 Disco2 with 126K. The LT230 has the 1.2 gearing, I hope this is not too tall for the 34" tires I have. Also made sure I got a locking box since some Discos have a non-locking Tcase.

I will be sending these to Rob Dassler at South West Rovers. No point cutting corners this far in to the rebuild! Rob asked me to take the bell housing, parking brake and shift mechanism off.

Name:	DSCN6640.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	143954Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6641.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	143952Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6642.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	143953

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Great stuff!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild