1983 110 Rebuild - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Are you planning on putting the spring spacers on the rear springs too? If so, the diameter is not the same...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Are you planning on putting the spring spacers on the rear springs too? If so, the diameter is not the same...
Yeah I noticed that too. May have to glue them on. According to my reading on expedition exchange:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.php (scroll down)

I can fit it in all 4 corners, top and bottom. Not really sure if I will use them all. I don't want to drastically lift my truck. I may just use them as shims to get the truck level. Thanks Jim.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I used west marine 8200...my experience with sailing repairs has shown it permanent and water proof and UV resistant...and maybe you're right about 2 pieces...everything is fading into a jumbled haze of solvent induced foggy memory...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
.....everything is fading into a jumbled haze of solvent induced foggy memory...
Haha! I cannot wait! Sweet sweet euphoria. Hope the trip will be better than modelers glue as used as a kid.

Thanks for tip on the glue. Was wondering what to use.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

only caution is that it needs clamping so make sure you have some deeper throated c clamps or welding vise grips and so forth that reach to the edges of what ever area you're gluing...I got some cheap deep C clamps via harbor freight (of course)...another benefit of this adhesive method is the patch is automatically sealed against water ingress by placing one of the beads around the perimeter or edge of the area...
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I used west marine 8200...my experience with sailing repairs has shown it permanent and water proof and UV resistant...and maybe you're right about 2 pieces...everything is fading into a jumbled haze of solvent induced foggy memory...
George whats the 8200 ? I have used the 4200 and 5200.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
A little more progress this weekend. Got the windshield off the bulkhead and the bulkhead of the chassis. Got brake and clutch fluid all over the floor. That saran wrap under the reservoir cap does not work Mr. Lindsay Porter!

Apparently, my bulkhead was fitted with only one spacer on each side. Need to make a note of that. The bulkhead bolt was seized pretty good, even after soaking in PB Blaster for a month. Nothing a BF hammer didn't take care of. I left everything on the bulkhead so it weighs a ton. Will need to use a hoist to put it back on the new frame. Hardest part was labeling all the wires/cables/hoses.

Next on the list will be cracking the tranny from the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	22120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	22121  

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	22122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	22123  

Old October 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Transmission out. Planning ahead to take advantage of this part of the rebuild, I purchased a completely new clutch set. After separating the tranny from the engine, the pressure plate looks pretty new. Maybe the previous owner just recently did the clutch. Either way, she will be getting a new set.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	22201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	22202  

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	22203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	22204  

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	22205  

Old October 16th, 2009, 11:02 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Just got an email from Stephen, my frame is at the port. Should be here soon. Now I really need to get moving.

Old October 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Fresh rover chrome.... drool

Have you decided if you are going to paint it while you have it apart? Are you planning to get some parts galvanized?
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Yeah drool, I know what you mean. Cannot wait. I don't think I will paint it. My only concern is a mechanically solid truck. I will Por 15 as many parts as I can but no galvanization. I know I should but it's just not in the budget. I do not like a new-looking truck. I know, blasphemy but I just don't think a 110 should look new. Although mine is a bit far gone - with different color doors, bonnet, etc. It somehow tells a story...Let the uninitiated stare and comment, only real enthusiasts will see and understand what's under the panels.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Finally got to the engine today. And Stephen is killing me with his "guess what's in my container" posts! I see my frame and T-posts in there some where Stephen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	22404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	22405  

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	22406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	22407  

Old October 25th, 2009, 06:43 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Ok so the frame is finally free, and still free to anyone who wants it. A bottle of Jack would be nice but not necessary. I need to get it out of the garage to make room for the new frame so the sooner the better. I can't remember who asked first, gotta go back over the post. If no one claims it here I will post it on the For Sale forum. If no one wants it I will cut it up so I can throw it away. Thanks

Old October 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Truck progress lookin good...I am of the same philosophy in terms of Rover perfection...I don't mind too much what it looks like as long as all the systems are solid...I'd love to be able to afford having it cosmetically done right and painted but it is beyond my means...

Doug,
The West Marine 8200 is a one part polyurethane adhesive/sealant that is water proof and UV resist as well as paintable...plus a whole cartridge is only about $12 bucks...it is, for all intents and purposes, a permanent bond and it is a one part that doesn not need measuring or mixing...its meant for metal, wood or fiberglass and I thought the waterproof part was useful in the footwell. Takes 3 days to totally cure and requires clamping but it works great. Not good for chassis kind of stuff I guess but great for panel bonding.
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Doug,
The West Marine 8200 is a one part polyurethane adhesive/sealant that is water proof and UV resist as well as paintable...plus a whole cartridge is only about $12 bucks...it is, for all intents and purposes, a permanent bond and it is a one part that doesn not need measuring or mixing...its meant for metal, wood or fiberglass and I thought the waterproof part was useful in the footwell. Takes 3 days to totally cure and requires clamping but it works great. Not good for chassis kind of stuff I guess but great for panel bonding.
Sounds like a branded version of 3m5200- same stuff. They (3m) actually make a quick/fast cure version which is what I use.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
This is the stuff I'd want when re-assembling my roof right?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So after 3 months of waiting, Stephen at Safari Rovers gets this in his backyard. With a little help from some highschool kids we get all offloaded. He lets me pick the frame I want and even let me use his trailer to haul it back to my place. Stephen, being the guy that he is, keeps the one that was damaged during shipping for himself. Old frame going to Marc Ingham.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	618.6 KB
ID:	23165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	23166  

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	23167  

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Almost done POR15-ing everything and couldn't resist bolting a few things on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	23179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	23180  

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
More stuff done. Spring angle on the front axle perch is a bit scary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	23397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	23398  

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	23399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	23400  

Name:	IMG_0028.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	23401  

Old December 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX
More stuff done. Spring angle on the front axle perch is a bit scary.
Yeah, they always look like that before the engine goes in - keep up the good work!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild