1983 110 Rebuild - Page 29 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 8th, 2014, 12:20 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
An angle grinder with a cut-off disc was my best friend. I had to cut or grind off a lot of rusted nuts and bolts. I went through 2 grinders! You could get this but what's the point? I replaced every single nut and bolt anyway and it was faster to just grind/cut it off. All up just the hardware cost me around $600-700, I can't remember the exact number. After you charge the first $300 just for nuts and bolts, it doesn't even phase you anymore when you order hard to find parts over seas.

That tool is interesting..hope I never need that. I haven't ground/cut off any bolts yet..going slow and if any give me trouble I just spay it, let it soak and move on to something else. I found shells and sand behind some of them! Charming..she has sand in her pants. Have been saving each and every nut, bolt and piece of hardware so when I go to order I will know more or less what I'm going to need. 'How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?'

------ Follow up post added May 8th, 2014 08:22 AM ------

I have no plan of ever selling this truck. It is for my daughter when she grows up. The one you see hanging on the "monkey bars".
She's going to love driving Dad's truck..it is going to always remind her of you. My son is already super excited to see how his truck is going to turn out. I said 97 years old because he has already told me I have to live to be 99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2014, 10:01 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Wheel Bearings

This was done while back but I forgot to update the thread. My buddy Brian from Geared Restoration came over to help. Also updated the drive members with the Terra Firma ones. We did all 4 corners and it made a noticeable difference when driving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2806.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	95773Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2805.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	95774Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2803.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	95772

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:32 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
The donor engine: A 3.9 Rover V8. Supposedly a good runner but promised to be a like-new engine after the rebuild. The guys at Geared Restoration will be doing the rebuild and swap. I just don't have the time anymore. It should be pulled out sometime next week and torn apart. We'll see what they come up with. The plan is to keep it carbed, just not sure what configuration to go with yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140605_074332.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	96391  

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The donor engine: A 3.9 Rover V8. Supposedly a good runner but promised to be a like-new engine after the rebuild. The guys at Geared Restoration will be doing the rebuild and swap. I just don't have the time anymore. It should be pulled out sometime next week and torn apart. We'll see what they come up with. The plan is to keep it carbed, just not sure what configuration to go with yet.
ditch the zeniths and go edlebrock

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 7th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Ditch the carbs and go GEMS
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

I am thinking the same. Gotta do some more research and make sure I do everything right the first time. Looking at camshaft, timing chain, etc. Not sure but read somewhere about slipped liners but not sure what to do about that. After they pull it out it will go to the engine shop to get rebuilt before it goes into my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Ditch the carbs and go GEMS
Although that did cross my mind, I want to keep this simple. My LR3 throws enough codes for both cars!

Old June 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Wait a minute. Are 3.9 V8 carbed from the factory on early 110s. I know the 3.5 are carbed, when did Land Rover started using 3.9s V8s? I am thinking that donor is a 3.5 motor.

Old June 8th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Wait a minute. Are 3.9 V8 carbed from the factory on early 110s. I know the 3.5 are carbed, when did Land Rover started using 3.9s V8s? I am thinking that donor is a 3.5 motor.
As far as I know the 3.9 came out in 1989 in the RRC.
Old June 8th, 2014, 02:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
As far as I know the 3.9 came out in 1989 in the RRC.
Correct. As far as I know, all carbed factory motors (1989 disco I) 110/90/d110 up to 1992ish were 3.5
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
3.5 Motor and LT95 Out

I had planned at least 1 month to remove the tranny and motor from my truck. Up to this point I have been a one-man shop, doing everything myself. Brian from Geared Restoration came over and did it in a few hours. We contemplated dropping the transmission first then pulling the engine but ended up pulling the whole lump as one unit. Can't say enough about Brain. The guy really knows his stuff. I call him the "Land Rover Whisperer":

Name:	DSCN4812.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	98024Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4815.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	98023Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4817.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	98025

We will be redoing the exhaust system so the old unit will be trashed. Just as well as half the rear exhaust is somewhere between home and work.

Name:	DSCN4819.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	98026Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4821.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	98027Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4827.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	98028

That Lt95 is a heavy unit. It will be going into a RRC with a diesel motor from a Toyota FJ. I will be replacing that with an R380. More pics to come as Brian and I will be rebuilding the motor in my garage.

Name:	DSCN4831.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	98029Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4838.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	98030Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4847.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	98031

Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That's how I do them. Whatever you are putting back will likely be lighter. Those lt95's weigh a ton.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:43 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Nice rebuild... I know your plans are to drop that rebuilt 3.9 in but I'd seriously look at the genIII & NV4500 conversion. Great power on a stock 5.3, better economy & all the advantages of efi. By the time you've rebuilt the 3.9 you'll prob be into similar $ as the engine/trans/adaptor kit, rest is down to how many shiny parts you want on it

Just a thought... keep up the great work !
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Nice rebuild... I know your plans are to drop that rebuilt 3.9 in but I'd seriously look at the genIII & NV4500 conversion. Great power on a stock 5.3, better economy & all the advantages of efi. By the time you've rebuilt the 3.9 you'll prob be into similar $ as the engine/trans/adaptor kit, rest is down to how many shiny parts you want on it

Just a thought... keep up the great work !

Andy, I have thought about this over and over again. The original plan was for a diesel conversion but now that I have an HMMWV, the diesel "must have" have been satisfied, and since my Marsland chassis is a V8 I think it is simpler just to keep it petrol.

I know EFI is better and I have been reading about the LS conversion. Ash from Geared Restoration is currently doing one but I want to keep this simple. I am not looking for crazy power. I kinda like the "old-school" experience.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Andy, I have thought about this over and over again. The original plan was for a diesel conversion but now that I have an HMMWV, the diesel "must have" have been satisfied, and since my Marsland chassis is a V8 I think it is simpler just to keep it petrol.

I know EFI is better and I have been reading about the LS conversion. Ash from Geared Restoration is currently doing one but I want to keep this simple. I am not looking for crazy power. I kinda like the "old-school" experience.
Fair enough.... just a thought... but remember the gen III/NV4500 is a bit less complicated if you get a pre-drive by wire Vortec over the later gen IV/autotrans conversion.

Anyway, you have a great project & it'll be a blast to drive whatever you have under the bonnet, keep the pic's coming
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:11 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Engine Teardown

Got a little farther this week. Started stripping the engine down. My heads are warped and apparently I am loosing coolant somewhere. When we drained the radiator less than a gallon of coolant came out. Either I am burning it up or it is leaking out somewhere. I only drive this truck like once a month and have never noticed any white smoke or coolant on the driveway.

Name:	DSCN4854.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	98379Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4892.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	98380Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4896.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	98381

Will be getting rid of the stock carbs/intake. Gonna pick up an Edelbrock intake but have not decided on the carb yet. Have to make sure I can hook it up to my snorkel.

Name:	DSCN4897.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	98382Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4906.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	98384Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4909.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	98385

I was surprised how easily everything came apart. Only sheared 2 bolts but Bryan says the shop will drill them out no problem. Rebuilding the engine like this really demystified something I always thought was so complicated.

Name:	DSCN4910.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	98387Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4919.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	98388Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4951.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	98390

With the front cover removed you can see how stretched my timing chain was:

Name:	DSCN4953.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	98391Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4964.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	98392Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4969.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	98393

Old October 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Quote:
Just read this thread! Nice build.
Old October 25th, 2014, 12:26 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Great build ! Very clean and well thought out . Really like what you have done with it .
Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old December 9th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Quote:
My main objective is to just get a new frame under her. I've seen some really nice projects here but I don't have the time or money to go too crazy. I just want a solid foundation. Not too worried about the outside/body. I like my trucks with a few battle-scars, it took years to get that way and it adds a little personality. She's not going to be a trophy truck. Some more progress today. Follow-up Post: Can someone with an experienced eye tell me if she's been lifted? I can't tell and there are no markings on the springs. Thanks Follow-up Post: Hey George, Been reading your rebuild too. Very nice work. My next step is to remove the wings and front grill. Hope it's easier than a Series III truck. Any pointers?
I also have an 83 110 county. Just some facts. The springs that were standard on the early 110s (or maybe only the countys) were from the range rovers. Early 110s also have more standard ground clearance than later defenders. Good luck with your build! Remember to protect those front seats, as far as I know they only came on the 110 county and are quite hard to find (they are really comfortable!!!) this is my before and after.

Name:	image-1511573006.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	108354

Name:	image-356127917.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	739.3 KB
ID:	108355

Name:	image-862828789.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	108356

Name:	image-3199592146.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	108357
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:41 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Any updates on the 3.9 in this truck? I'm looking into a Tdi, but deep down I know I just don't have the money for it, so a 4.2 or 4.6 is more likely. How is the 3.9 in real life.... although none of the roads are "real" in Florida -- the .5 miles I drive into my neighborhood is a greater elevation change than anything in the entire state of Florida.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Any updates on the 3.9 in this truck? I'm looking into a Tdi, but deep down I know I just don't have the money for it, so a 4.2 or 4.6 is more likely. How is the 3.9 in real life.... although none of the roads are "real" in Florida -- the .5 miles I drive into my neighborhood is a greater elevation change than anything in the entire state of Florida.
I don't have a 3.9l but from what I have heard is that the efi can be unreliable at times. I also live in Florida and trust me, any of the v8s work great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild