1983 110 Rebuild - Page 28 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 1st, 2014, 07:28 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

O M G ...That is so crazy pretty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2014, 07:37 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
O M G ...That is so crazy pretty!
Thanks! How did you read through all the pages already?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:45 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I know I stayed up till like 3 am reading it a couple years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2014, 08:01 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

No, I have not read through all the pages...YET! ..as soon as I saw this I knew I was going to have to though!.. wow such a nice job you did..muffler or no muffler lol
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:49 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Raub you should have just watched reruns of the A Team instead! Haha!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Holy crap it's back!!!
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I'm not that far south of you and I really really want to see your truck. Perhaps an Orlando HH?
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:26 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Just read this thread front to back. Really impressive stuff.

Reading through the pages game me a feeling I haven't felt since reading the book Into Thin Air. A few pages in I was thinking "OH MAN! I HAVE TO DO THIS!" By the time I was 2/3 into it I was thinking "YOU"D HAVE TO BE BAT SHIT CRAZY TO DO THIS!"

Great job and thank you very much for sharing your adventure.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Holy crap it's back!!!

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2014 10:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I'm not that far south of you and I really really want to see your truck. Perhaps an Orlando HH?
Definitely! I keep waiting for someone to set one up. Better hurry because once I start the engine/tranny swap she will be out of commission for a few months.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2014 10:26 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Just read this thread front to back. Really impressive stuff.

Reading through the pages game me a feeling I haven't felt since reading the book Into Thin Air. A few pages in I was thinking "OH MAN! I HAVE TO DO THIS!" By the time I was 2/3 into it I was thinking "YOU"D HAVE TO BE BAT SHIT CRAZY TO DO THIS!"

Great job and thank you very much for sharing your adventure.

Thanks! I documented everything here so others can enjoy my adventure, and to also ask for advice from others who have much more experience than me. I am just one person, not a shop. I often ask myself if I would ever do it again. It was a very rewarding experience and now I totally regret selling my Series III SWB. I would have done the same thing with my Series if I still had it

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:03 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Updated pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3790.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	94224Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3792.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	94223Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3786.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	94225

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Updated pics:
Such a great looking truck.
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:41 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I'm on page 10...I keep going back and looking again
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:22 AM
OZARKTOAD
Bachmann
None...yet

What springs/shock setup did you have on that again? Also are those 235s? Thx keep thinking man I want mine to set like that.
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:57 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Thanks Parts Ninja!

------ Follow up post added May 5th, 2014 08:57 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARKTOAD View Post
What springs/shock setup did you have on that again? Also are those 235s? Thx keep thinking man I want mine to set like that.
751 springs and N115 shocks for the front because I have a winch bumper with winch and spare on the bonnet. 755 springs and N44 shocks for the rears. I have the oddball 8.25x16, roughly 34 inches.

Old May 5th, 2014, 09:42 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Agree. It's a great definition of a 110.

He has done a lot of things I would on a 5 door SW build. Full interior cage, galvy sliders, wheels/tire, bumper/winch/skid. I love the green with cream top combo especially with the galvy bits.
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:59 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
I'm on page 10...I keep going back and looking again
You'll see lots of thinking out loud and direction changes as these guys guide me in the right direction (like that HMMWV tire carrier ). A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into this truck. I see you taking your Series apart right after getting it home. Do you have any specific plans for it? I would take the advice of some of the senior members here. They know what they are talking about and have helped me tremendously.

Old May 5th, 2014, 10:41 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Hey! Yes only on pg 10 and I could already see the advice you were being given. Which is why I'm re-reading. Ren was so funny..blunt. I would rather that than make an uniformed mistake. The carrier.. the bulk head. I have to keep reading to see how it turned out!! The suspense. I haven't had much time to play with her over the past few days but I'm off tomorrow. Whenever I get my grimy clothes on and start walking over..I get a grin on my face. There is nothing like doing your own. I have no concrete plans yet, still finding out what major/structural things need to be dealt with. I did notice one of the front swivels is in bad shape (rust)..don't know yet if it's just the seal or has gotten to the housing rim and can that be ground down? will it then leak? Leaf springs look like heck.. so replace with new or go with coils? Replace the axles entirely..disc brakes, power steering? What about turning radius, lift and how much articulation do I want? I'll be in the sunshine tomorrow, blasting tunes and getting greasy. I've started to take off the steering arms and am working on the tub...have to get to those rusted out cross members. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:57 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
.....Whenever I get my grimy clothes on and start walking over..I get a grin on my face.
You are going to fit in just fine here

Quote:
......Leaf springs look like heck.. so replace with new or go with coils?
I would do parabolics. That was the plan for my Series SWB but I sold it in a moment of weakness. If you do coils you will need a new chassis. If that is your route I would just get a new galvanized frame. See this awesome thread

Old May 6th, 2014, 11:10 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
You are going to fit in just fine here

Thank you Forrest..I feel comfy and welcome.

I would do parabolics. That was the plan for my Series SWB but I sold it in a moment of weakness. If you do coils you will need a new chassis. If that is your route I would just get a new galvanized frame. See this awesome thread
Yes, parabolics is what I was thinking too. That's the trick... once you change one thing you then have to change something else. I'm wanting to keep this to a minimum. Maximize her potential and stay as close to original as possible. I am struggling with the idea of even painting her anymore. She is so classic and cool looking with all her age and charm. I took the seat box out and am drawing up some stuff for slide-out under seat storage. Going to take the bulkhead, seat box and a few other things to David tomorrow and we can discuss it then. I'm just cleaning and taking inventory. She is filthy!! and omg the bolts on the underside are so much worse than those on the top. Breaker bar, hammer, gear pullers and patience. Breaking a joint or a nut loose has become euphoric! ...'Drink please' lol This truck is the first one that I will know like the back of my hand because I will have touched and made like new every last piece - I find this SO cool! The documentation you have of your rebuild is so good I can almost do my shopping list from it... right on! Such a pretty girl you have.. you can't sell her and if you do you have to be 97 years old
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:19 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
......She is filthy!! and omg the bolts on the underside are so much worse than those on the top. Breaker bar, hammer, gear pullers and patience. Breaking a joint or a nut loose has become euphoric! ...'Drink please'
An angle grinder with a cut-off disc was my best friend. I had to cut or grind off a lot of rusted nuts and bolts. I went through 2 grinders! You could get this but what's the point? I replaced every single nut and bolt anyway and it was faster to just grind/cut it off. All up just the hardware cost me around $600-700, I can't remember the exact number. After you charge the first $300 just for nuts and bolts, it doesn't even phase you anymore when you order hard to find parts over seas.

------ Follow up post added May 8th, 2014 08:22 AM ------

Quote:
......you can't sell her and if you do you have to be 97 years old
I have no plan of ever selling this truck. It is for my daughter when she grows up. The one you see hanging on the "monkey bars".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild