1983 110 Rebuild - Page 26 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:56 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
K/Y Jelly and Rubbers

Time to do the door and window seals. Without the proper tools, this was not easy! Here are some things I learned: You will need heat, lots of KY jelly, pressure, and overlap. I tried to do this on a cold day and it took me over an hour to do one small corner window. The rubber seals were just too hard in the cold. Just wait for a warm day and let the rubber seals get soft.

Working in a clinic has its own unique advantages: all the lube a man could ever need
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2213.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	63830

The rear corner glass and Alpine windows use the same kind of seal which comes in 2 parts, the main seal then the filler strip. Make sure you overlap the seal to account for shrinkage. I overlapped almost 1/2 inch before I made the cut. (for the Alpine windows the main seal overlap is on top) Put the main seal on first, filler side out for the older trucks. I noticed on the newer trucks Land Rover put the filler side on the inside for the rear corner glass.

Name:	DSCN2214.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	63831Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2217.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	63834

Then slip the glass in and then the filler strip. I start the filler strip 180 degrees to where the main seal overlaps, you don't want both overlaps in the same area. Cut the filler strip longer also. There is a tool that makes putting in the filler strip easy but I don't own one. I tried everything and will be impressed if anyone can guess what this "tool" is from. In the end a flat head screw driver worked best for me.

Name:	DSCN2216.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	63832

Finished:

Name:	DSCN2218.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	63833

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Your build is just far enough ahead of mine that it motivates me to get working very time you post up!

Looking good!
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Your build is just far enough ahead of mine that it motivates me to get working very time you post up!

Looking good!
Thanks but I am sure you have more parts at your disposal than I do! I can't imagine having all those extra new parts laying around.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I think soapy water would help in this.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Door Latch and Strikers

So my 110 came with the lift up handles on the outside and a complicated network of linkages on the inside to move the handle forwards to make it more user friendly:

Name:	linkages.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	64097

I got rid of the linkages and converted everything back to the old-school, more simple, lift up handle on the inside. Unfortunately that meant having to buy new door strikers too. My T posts are from a 2008 Defender and initially I thought I could reuse the newer style push button door strikers. I ran into 2 problems, they were located too high on the T-posts and it was not a tight fit.

Name:	DSCN2225.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	64098

I ended up getting the proper anti-burst strikers for the door latches:

Name:	DSCN2227.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	64099

Lining the strikers up was easy. I locked it into the door latch, moved it into position, and marked the holes on the T posts and drilled. I also used a backing plate inside the T post for added strength.

Name:	DSCN2228.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	64100Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2229.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	64101Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2230.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	64102

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Windshield Fail

For the most part, this rebuild have gone pretty smoothly. That is until today when I tried to put the windscreen back in. I read up on the "string method" and it seemed straightforward enough.

Putting the string into the groove:

Name:	DSCN2275.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	64437Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2276.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	64438

Starting at the bottom and slowly pull the string out to seat the seal:

Name:	DSCN2280.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	64439Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2281.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	64440Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2282.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	64441

Everything was going fine until:

Name:	DSCN2283.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	64442Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2284.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	64443Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2285.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	64444

FML.

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:28 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Dude that sucks. Is that new glass?

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I tried to do this on a cold day and it took me over an hour to do one small corner window. The rubber seals were just too hard in the cold. Just wait for a warm day and let the rubber seals get soft.
I've done it in the Winter and we put it on the radiator to heat up before we even attempted the job. I'm assuming since you live in FL you don't have radiators, but you can also put them in in hot water - like the tub, etc.

Quote:

FML.
What happened? Was it already nicked in that spot?
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I've had a similar experiance, mine wasn't a windscreen but a $700 piece of glass...I feel your pain. Truck looks good!
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I love the picture of your daughter smiling in the window. As a father of daughters, I can rember such momentes doing a project or what ever, where you wanted to scream, drop F-bombs and curse the Gods and then my girls would come up and ask "Daddy, will you come to our tea party?" to which I always answered "yes baby, I will." Funny thing is, I don't even rember what I was doing or what the projects were. But damn I miss those tea parties.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:20 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

I did the same thing with a new windshield trying to use the string method. Took the next one to Safelite and they did it in 5 minutes for around $50. Was worth not breaking another one!
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
I did the same thing with a new windshield trying to use the string method. Took the next one to Safelite and they did it in 5 minutes for around $50. Was worth not breaking another one!
That's what I do as well. I have heard that aftermarket vs oe gaskets makes a big difference but no idea if that's true.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I just called Safelite and they quoted me $588. WTH?

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2013 10:02 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
That's what I do as well. I have heard that aftermarket vs oe gaskets makes a big difference but no idea if that's true.
This is OE gasket from the same windshield frame I took off to paint.

Old January 14th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

When I last replaced my windshield, either they didn't have it or wouldn't return my calls so I ordered on from RN, I think it was $400 or $500. Then I just happened to find someone to replace it and ran it through insurance. It cost $50 and I still have the windshield from RN in the box. Now I have a spare...lol.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Great project and build. Even better is the joy and support from your family. That is what it is all about.
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I love the picture of your daughter smiling in the window. As a father of daughters, I can rember such momentes doing a project or what ever, where you wanted to scream, drop F-bombs and curse the Gods and then my girls would come up and ask "Daddy, will you come to our tea party?" to which I always answered "yes baby, I will." Funny thing is, I don't even rember what I was doing or what the projects were. But damn I miss those tea parties.
Trust me, I was dropping F-bombs in my head. My girls never give me a moments rest. Everytime I am out there they are inside my truck swinging on the Monkey Bars, tripping all the switches on the steering column (I know they will break one soon), climbing over the seats, sticking wrenches/screwdrivers in every hole they can find, or curled up sleeping in the front footwell.

I wanted to put the windshield back in so my oldest can no longer climb out onto the bonnet from the inside. I guess she has a few more weeks.

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Love it now! mine used to be the same. Now soon to be 15 and 16, they see alot of my actions as impacting their liberty! I've recently abolished South Park. I guess it's to be expected since they are free thinking but things change quick.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I just called Safelite and they quoted me $588. WTH?

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2013 10:02 AM ------

This is OE gasket from the same windshield frame I took off to paint.
Don't buy the glass from them ! The last windshield I bought was $100 from Atlantic British. Doesn't Stephen have them already in the frame for reasonable cost ? Seems like he was asking $200 for a new take off with frame a while back.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM
tpond
Toby Pond

Have a local glass shop use the broken one as a template. It is a simple, quick job to cut a piece of flat glass.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
.....Doesn't Stephen have them already in the frame for reasonable cost ? Seems like he was asking $200 for a new take off with frame a while back.
Haha this is the NTO from Stephen that I manage to F-up

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2013 12:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpond View Post
Have a local glass shop use the broken one as a temple. It is a simple quick job to cut a piece of flat glass.
Yeah I gotta look into this. I have read about this before. Gotta research what type of glass I need.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild