1983 110 Rebuild - Page 25 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
SD Cage Part 4--C HOOP

The C hoop attaches to the rear of the T post via brackets and ties the B and D hoop together via the upper stringers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2028.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	63031

There are 3 parts to the C hoop bracket. Make sure you check the middle one in this picture, they are handed and will not fit if used on the wrong side. The unfinished plate on the right (thanks Safety Devices ) is a backing plate that goes inside the T post :

Name:	DSCN2104.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	63034Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2098.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	63032

This is what it should look like:

Name:	DSCN2101.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	63033Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2110.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	63035

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
SD Cage Part 5--External Front cage and cross braces

The external front cage is easy since I have already installed the A bracket to the outer wings. Hardest part was drilling through a perfectly good roof. I start with pilot holes to locate the inner B hoop and enlarge as necessary:

Name:	DSCN2029.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	63036 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2030.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	63037Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2048.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	63039

Finish up with the cross braces and the rest of the bars:

Name:	DSCN2036.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	63040Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2059.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	63041

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Wow Forrest! So envious of your project!!!

Quick question, are you going to have interior trim when done? Would they still fit? (Headliner, window trim, etc)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:58 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
Wow Forrest! So envious of your project!!!

Quick question, are you going to have interior trim when done? Would they still fit? (Headliner, window trim, etc)
No trim for me . I prefer old school Land Rover deco like with my Series truck. Paul has a complete La Salle interior trim and he says it fits, but it was harder to install the cage because of it. Maybe he will chime in and give his thoughts about it.

Old December 19th, 2012, 11:26 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Any thoughts about painting the cage body color?

-Jeff
Not really, why?

Old December 19th, 2012, 11:33 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Looks great all caged up. Love the color and the detail work has been amazing. Very nice job :
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:52 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Looks great all caged up. Love the color and the detail work has been amazing. Very nice job :

Thanks. It's official, my truck is now a zoo with its own monkey bar :

Name:	DSCN2069.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	63051Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2053.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	63049Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2062.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	63050

Name:	DSCN2071.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	63052Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2040.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	63047Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2044.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	63048

Old December 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Love the smile of your daughter. I have three girls and a son. Now I need a Defender and make them smile.
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:59 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It looks great! Soother than glass and seats, what do you have to do to get it completed?
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
It looks great! Soother than glass and seats, what do you have to do to get it completed?
To make it drivable, not much. Glass, door seals, seats (will retrim the front once the kit comes in), and hooking up the rear lights. Also need to pull the drive member to redo one of the seals.

To complete to truck to my liking, I will have to paint the top of the T posts limestone to match the upper half of the truck. So close!

Old December 20th, 2012, 09:54 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Truck looks great. Any reason u left it rhd after all that work?
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:07 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
No trim for me . I prefer old school Land Rover deco like with my Series truck. Paul has a complete La Salle interior trim and he says it fits, but it was harder to install the cage because of it. Maybe he will chime in and give his thoughts about it.
Yes, I have the same cage, Lasalle Trim headliner and side trim and a Linexed bed. I like all three but the combination prooved challenging for the install. I also put a layer of dynamat and 1" of acoustical foam on the entire roof before installing the headliner. Now that it's fitted, it's all good. However, in hindsight a regular headliner would have been much easier to install. When I installed mine it was a multi-day 10-12 beer job. For Forrest's cage 2nd time around it was a couple hours and a 3 beer job and a great way to spend a free day. Thanks man, Orlando was a blast in large part to your hospitality.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Truck looks great. Any reason u left it rhd after all that work?
Thanks! I wanted a RHD. This truck is just a toy for me, not meant as a daily driver. Wanted to keep the restoration as original as I can to keep the novelty and charm of a true old-school UK Land Rover

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
To make it drivable, not much. Glass, door seals, seats (will retrim the front once the kit comes in), and hooking up the rear lights. Also need to pull the drive member to redo one of the seals.

To complete to truck to my liking, I will have to paint the top of the T posts limestone to match the upper half of the truck. So close!
We have a 62k mile original 83 here and surprisingly the factory used a vinyl wrap on the posts above the waist cappings.

When your seat is all the way back does the seat back touch the cage when you recline it ?
A couple I have imported did and I couldn't drive the truck.

Looks great ! See you have the heater intake cover- anticipating snow in Orlando ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I have the vinyl wrap but it's for the inside of the T post, the outside is just bare paint.

As for the seats, I just check and with the seat all the way back the cage does not prevent the seat from going back. The side of the seat just barely grazes the hoop.

No snow in Florida. My truck came with intake covers on both sides. I took the one on the right off.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I have the vinyl wrap but it's for the inside of the T post, the outside is just bare paint.
Know what you are refer to inside, have that as well. This is a vinyl wrap outside like the county decals that went down the sides but limestone in color and cover the b pillars which are trident under the vinyl.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Know what you are refer to inside, have that as well. This is a vinyl wrap outside like the county decals that went down the sides but limestone in color and cover the b pillars which are trident under the vinyl.
Thanks, that is good to know. I always thought they were painted since my old T-posts were painted limestone. Any chance you know where I can get a set?

Old December 24th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No idea. I was surprised by these. All my prior trucks had had paint work done so the vinyl was long gone.. Bet any local sign or body wrap decal place could fix you up cheap if you would rather not paint.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:17 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Doug- will you pot a photo? Curious about this and can't seem to visualize it.

Sorry for the hijack. As usual truck is looking awesome and love all the photos in the thread.

Alex
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM
FLRover
Richard
None

Great build thread. I've really enjoyed reading about the truck. Thank you for taking the time to document everything with such detail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild