1983 110 Rebuild - Page 18 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 4th, 2012, 10:01 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Thanks! Let me send you mine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2012, 01:49 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Thanks! Let me send you mine...
Only if it's in better shape than mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I am soooo over painting. This is round 2 of epoxy primer and I am not even to the main body of the truck. Painting every little part off the truck is so time consuming! Next time I do this I'm leaving everything on the truck!

By the way, the green masking tape is supposed to be better than the blue, who knew?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1496.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	50062   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1498.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	50063  

Name:	DSCN1509.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	50064   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1510.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	50065  

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Here I am putting the door skin back on the rebuilt frame. Used a MAPP torch to "re-anneal" the aluminum so it doesn't crack when I rebend it back over the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1494.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	50066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1513.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	50067  

Name:	DSCN1514.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	50068  

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
love the primer job...looks like it's going to be bulletproof!
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
love the primer job...looks like it's going to be bulletproof!
Thanks for all your advice about prep and paint Ed. It was all very confusing at first but your explanation really helped. I don't see how anyone can't paint their truck in a few days. It is taking me forever just to lay down the epoxy primer.

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
this picture is a perfect example of why we get rust and galvanic bubbles in doors. Absolutely nothing between the alum skin and steel frame. Self etching primer and then epoxy will go a long way-shame Rover never went to the trouble.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no primer.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	50198  

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:04 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
this picture is a perfect example of why we get rust and galvanic bubbles in doors. Absolutely nothing between the alum skin and steel frame. Self etching primer and then epoxy will go a long way-shame Rover never went to the trouble.

Yeah I made sure I sprayed the inside of the skin with epoxy primer before putting it back on. I was going to paint with the final color first before putting it back on but I will end up cracking the paint, bending it around the frame, if I did it that way.

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Yeah I made sure I sprayed the inside of the skin with epoxy primer before putting it back on. I was going to paint with the final color first before putting it back on but I will end up cracking the paint, bending it around the frame, if I did it that way.
I may be getting threads mixed, but are you welding or using an adhesive to marry door skin and frame?
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:45 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
I may be getting threads mixed, but are you welding or using an adhesive to marry door skin and frame?

Right now it is just bent over the frame. I was contemplating which will make it easer to replace later. Originally it was just glued. I can't weld aluminum, well I can't weld period

Old April 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Right now it is just bent over the frame. I was contemplating which will make it easer to replace later. Originally it was just glued. I can't weld aluminum, well I can't weld period

Well you're going to lead me; I'm assuming I can at least manage glue...

But to that point, assume the adhesive requires you to go back and remove the epoxy/primer from both surfaces?
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:20 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
.....assume the adhesive requires you to go back and remove the epoxy/primer from both surfaces?

Damn the epoxy primer, I'm just going to glue them and see what happens. Land Rover made it last almost 30 years like that and if it falls off I'm just going to get new skin for it.

Old April 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

So the mapp torch heats the skin and then you bend it while hot to prevent cracking?
I'm giving a couple of doors a time-out for cracking as I removed the skin (yes, being very slow and careful)
Great job by the way!
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinAlabama View Post
So the mapp torch heats the skin and then you bend it while hot to prevent cracking?
I'm giving a couple of doors a time-out for cracking as I removed the skin (yes, being very slow and careful)
Great job by the way!
No I just heated all around and let it cool before re-bending it. The aluminum goes through a "work hardening or cold working" process when it is bent. I am no expert but I do remember this analogy from my thermodynamics class:

Take a paper clip and repeatedly bend it at the same place. After a few bends the paperclip will break. The bending process changes the crystalization of the alloy, it gets harder and harder with each bend, and eventually gets brittle and break. By heating the alloy, you are "re-annealing" the alloy and relieving internal stress. How hot do you heat it? I read somewhere just enough to boil water off but I am not sure. I just guesstimate and it was fine. Good luck

Old April 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Thanks!
I'll give that a try!
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't have any experience with this myself, but I saw a video where the guy blackened the piece with carbon from an oxy-acetaline torch, then heated it up until the carbon burnt off and that was the indicator it was the right heat and annealed.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:18 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I don't have any experience with this myself, but I saw a video where the guy blackened the piece with carbon from an oxy-acetaline torch, then heated it up until the carbon burnt off and that was the indicator it was the right heat and annealed.
2x. Search YouTube for a guy working a HUGE dent out of the left rear quarter on a 427 Shelby Cobra. The clip is about 9 minute long and a much watch for working on aluminum. It is work of art.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Finally got a weekend to myself and started painting. After all the fear and worrying, spraying the paint was not really that difficult. It really gave me a sense of accomplishment, seeing it all come together with one unified color instead of the Frankenstein five that was on there before. Now I can honestly say I did everything myself with this restoration (I was going to have someone else paint it). Next is the actual truck and tub. Also reassembling the bonnet using 5mm SS socket head screws instead of rivets. By the way, the hinges were a bitch to paint. I am going to kick myself later for not using new hinges:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1564.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	51165   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1565.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	51166  

Name:	DSCN1566.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	51167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1575.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	51168  

Name:	DSCN1576.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	51169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1577.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	51170  

Name:	DSCN1571.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	51171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1572.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	51172  

Name:	DSCN1573.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	51173  

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Nice work!
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Nice paint job.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild