1983 110 Rebuild - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

To my understanding, it is about the height and angle of the tub/t-pieces and how many washers you use on the bulkhead. I am going to try to tackle this tomorrow and my plan is to fit the roof too and try to get it all lined up.
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So the lines are used to set the "angle" of the tub. That makes more sense because I do not have a lot of fore or aft movement at all once the T-posts are tied onto the tub. Wish I fit the roof too but the truck sits so high it wont fit inside the garage. Will have to wait until I can move it outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You can't fit the roof while aligning the tub and doors and then remove again before rolling it out (or air down or something)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
You can't fit the roof while aligning the tub and doors and then remove again before rolling it out (or air down or something)?
Roll on bare rims even.
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Sure, if you want to be logical about it

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Ok that was a waste of a morning. My garage ceiling is 10 feet but my garage door, when opened, sits at 8 feet so it won't clear the roof. Had my truck been sitting in the single bay instead of the double, I could have left the garage door closed while working on the truck. Damn.

Old July 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You sure you don't mean 7ft? My stock D90 clears a 7ft door.
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:08 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You sure you don't mean 7ft? My stock D90 clears a 7ft door.
Yup 7 feet.

Old July 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I know this one sounds crazy, but have you considered swapping bays before putting the roof on? It rolls right?
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:54 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
I know this one sounds crazy, but have you considered swapping bays before putting the roof on? It rolls right?
Charles, you're killing me.

Old July 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Just doing my part
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Just doing my part
Haha. How about helping me with this one?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26317

Old July 5th, 2010, 07:32 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
To my understanding, it is about the height and angle of the tub/t-pieces and how many washers you use on the bulkhead. I am going to try to tackle this tomorrow and my plan is to fit the roof too and try to get it all lined up.

So after spending a few hours lining up the tub, I think I figured out what the "lines" are used for:

If you look down the side of the truck from the back (like down a barrel of a gun) the lines should be straight and not bent out anywhere and the side of the tub should just touch the line. If you sight it and there is a "bend" in the line, then the tub is not squared to be bulkhead as it sits on the frame.

If you look at a sideview of the truck, the lines should also be straight as it runs along the "shoulder" of the tub and T posts. If there is a bend in the line, you may have to place shims under the tub to get it to line up. The angle of the front end of the tub is off compared to the rear end of the tub. I had to use 3 shims in the rear to level my tub.

Old July 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
So after spending a few hours lining up the tub, I think I figured out what the "lines" are used for:

If you look down the side of the truck from the back (like down a barrel of a gun) the lines should be straight and not bent out anywhere and the side of the tub should just touch the line. If you sight it and there is a "bend" in the line, then the tub is not squared to be bulkhead as it sits on the frame.

If you look at a sideview of the truck, the lines should also be straight as it runs along the "shoulder" of the tub and T posts. If there is a bend in the line, you may have to place shims under the tub to get it to line up. The angle of the front end of the tub is off compared to the rear end of the tub. I had to use 3 shims in the rear to level my tub.
You said that much better than I did.

Ron
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Did anyone noticed the black stuff on the underside of the tub? It's like black grease. I assume it's waxoyl but what I don't get is why is it so random where they spray it. Why not spray the whole tub? What are they protecting in those areas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TUB.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	29261  

Old July 10th, 2010, 10:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Probably overspray from when spraying the chassis (after assembly - maybe a dealer option?)
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Wow, I think you're right but what a crappy dealer option. They completely missed the rear crossmember. No oversprays at all in the rear. Maybe they wiped it clean. Either way I really hate this stuff.

Old July 12th, 2010, 02:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij

From the factory, the frame is sprayed, except for the rear crossmember.
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Why not the rear crossmember (at least the inside)?
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Why not the rear crossmember (at least the inside)?
To go back to my old favorite:

"Land Rover is retarded."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild