1983 110 Rebuild - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
sparhawk
greg sparhawk
92 110

rebuild

thanks for this thread. it's great to see the process photo's.
i just got an '85 110 about a month ago and am already considering your undertaking....
maybe when funds improve, for now i'll try to continue to learn as much as i can.
great job! looking forward to seeing your rig when complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Damn Greg, with all those Rovers you shouldn't have any problems. Post a pic of your '85!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So let say I know someone who picked up a NTO 2008 tub and wants to put it on his galvanized chassis. How would this someone prep it for paint? Should he sand the new paint down to bare aluminum, etch, then paint or should he just wet sand it and paint? What would Nigel do?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Do not sand or wet sand... Just red scuff bright pad the entire thing. Then sealer and paint...
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Do not sand or wet sand... Just red scuff bright pad the entire thing. Then sealer and paint...
Sealer? Is that like primer?

Old May 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Drill out the rivets on the cappings and repaint the whole tub, then paint the cappings inside and out (better yet galvanize) then reinstall cappings.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Drill out the rivets on the cappings and repaint the whole tub, then paint the cappings inside and out (better yet galvanize) then reinstall cappings.
Yeah I plan on either reusing my old galvanized ones or picking up a new set from RDS.

Old May 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Some goodies from John Craddocks. Only took a week straight to my door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	27677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	27678  

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	27679  

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Doing away with the SW and making it a PU with a canvas tilt?
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

COOL on the soft top. Interested to see how that goes together.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Doing away with the SW and making it a PU with a canvas tilt?

No, the soft top parts are for my Series III. It's been on the back burner for a while. I bought an 88 hoop set off ebay and the idiot sent me a 109 set with 2 left sided drain channel and 2 right sided door seal. It's been sitting in storage for a few years. Figured since I was ordering overseas might as well get all the missing parts.

I am keeping it a SW. I have always liked the SW.

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:06 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Reading over some of Charle's post I saw somewhere about the heater core, I took mine apart. I cleaned and repainted the box. After spending a lot of money to get the correct foam insulation that goes against the bulkhead from Craddocks, I ended up using regular insulation foam strips from home depot because the OEM piece did not fit. Bullocks!

Also had to fabricate a new bracket for the newer-style power steering reservoir I got from Buckhorn Imports.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	28353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	28354  

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	28355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	28356  

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	28357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	28358  

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	28359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	28360  

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	28361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	28362  

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:11 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
New box of parts came in today. New heater hoses and a new thermostat for a piece of mind. Along with some other random parts. This should be the last items to change on the truck before I refill all the fluids and turn her over.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	28363  

Old June 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Looking good.

Did you figure out your B pillar problem?
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Been a while since you have posted a picture of the entire thing, can we see a picture that shows the entire 110 as it sits right now?

How many hours per week do you think you are working on it
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
After spending a lot of money to get the correct foam insulation that goes against the bulkhead from Craddocks, I ended up using regular insulation foam strips from home depot because the OEM piece did not fit. Bullocks!
I skipped the spending lots on the the correct foam part
Quote:
Also had to fabricate a new bracket for the newer-style power steering reservoir I got from Buckhorn Imports.
But this I probably should have done as mine still leaks...
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Looking good.

Did you figure out your B pillar problem?
Yeah, I threw money at it and nothing happened, so I threw more money at it and swore at Nigel's mechano set and a new 2008 take off tub complete with T posts showed up! Try it sometime. It really works.

------ Follow up post added June 8th, 2010 08:08 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Been a while since you have posted a picture of the entire thing, can we see a picture that shows the entire 110 as it sits right now?

How many hours per week do you think you are working on it
It doesn't look much different then from a few post earlier. I just installed the heater box, power steering reservoir, and air filter. Waiting to change out the new heater hoses before getting the radiator back on. After that and a shot of whiskey and I'm turning the key on this baby. I rather find any engine gremlins now as opposed to getting everything back on and finding out later. I am pretty sure I labeled all the wires correctly but you never know. Hours per week? I only get to work on her every other weekend.

------ Follow up post added June 8th, 2010 08:10 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I skipped the spending lots on the the correct foam part ...
Yeah I should have listened to a fellow Gator. I think you mentioned that somewhere too.

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I only get to work on her every other weekend.
Damn, is there something we should know here? Like you share custody with your ex? What bits has she been working on? LOL
Quote:
Yeah I should have listened to a fellow Gator. I think you mentioned that somewhere too.
Live and learn. You're doing great, so no worries.
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Damn, is there something we should know here? Like you share custody with your ex? What bits has she been working on? LOL....
If only my life is that scandalous! Unfortunately, I work 12 hour days and every other weekend.

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

"Some goodies from John Craddocks. Only took a week straight to my door"

sounds like good service, but what did they charge in shipping. They quoted me $50 to ship a glow plug timer relay, which weighs 12 oz, maybe?!
Maybe the guy just did not want to deal with the shipping so he threw out a crazy number. Kinda turned me off them though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild