1983 110 Rebuild - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So just some more random pics. A while back curiosity got the best of me so I decided to open up the top lid on the transmission to have a quick look inside. Stupid. What ended up being 5 minutes to remove cost me over an hour to fix. I almost dropped the 3 gear selector springs into the transmission and the gasket tore off in pieces. Took an hour to scrape the old gasket off. Good thing I had an extra gasket laying around.

Also figured out why there was oil all over the top of my transmision. The foam gasket that seals the inlet for the stick had disintegrated, letting oil spew all over the tranny. I made up a new gasket made of 2 rubber pieces. It forms a tight seal around the ball at the bottom of the stick when the top metal retaining ring is tighten down. Should keep the oil from spraying out past the stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	26114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	26115  

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	26116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	26117  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2010, 04:37 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

awesome work

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Sandy, hey stranger, where you been? Playing Fantastic Contraption or getting stuck on some rocks? Put some lockers in there. Need to see some pics of your Puma with the new tires.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:14 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Finally got some time to get back to the truck. It's been a few weeks. Got the aluminum dash console from Stephen at SafariRover fitted. It was a perfect fit.

Since my power steering reservoir had a hole in it (PO tried to weld it shut-didn't work), I picked up a newer style reservoir from Buckhorn imports. While fitting everything back, I noticed the rubber hoses had cracked. Tried buying OEM lines but Trevor at Rovahfarm says my power steering is the older HD type, the lines are very expensive and impossible to get. At the suggestion of the members here on the forum, I took the old lines to a local hydraulic shop and had them replace everything for $90. I marked the lines and end fittings to make sure the orientation is preserved, they ended up putting a swivel end on one to make it easier for me to line up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	27397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	27398  

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	27399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	27400  

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	27401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	27402  

Old May 8th, 2010, 08:19 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Very nice lines...
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

great stuff...great to see things done right...and for $90 bucks...awesome!
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Be very careful threading them back in, they are easy to strip.

good work!
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase View Post
...and for $90 bucks...awesome!
Yeah, crazy man. That included parts and labor for all the lines. Trevor told me it would cost over $100 for one OEM line, if I could find it. I thought I was stuck, was going to resort to duck tape until the guys here (Ron, Dave, and Hans) pointed me in the right direction. I'm sure if I shopped around I could have done it for cheaper, but I'm happy with it. Went to a Parker hydraulic store, gave them my old lines, 30 minutes later it was done. Another leak fixed, and another headache gone. Thanks guys.

------ Follow up post added May 8th, 2010 11:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Be very careful threading them back in, they are easy to strip.

good work!
Thanks for the heads up, it was much easier with the swivel ends.

------ Follow up post added May 8th, 2010 12:00 PM ------

This is on the to do list somewhere. I know there's a write up somewhere here but can't find it.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-t...-tutorial.html

Old May 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Flushed the engine this weekend. Tested the thermostat. Fender wells separated, cleaned, an painted. Heater duct with new rubbers. It's beginning to look like a 110 again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	27425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	642.1 KB
ID:	27426  

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	27427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	27428  

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	27429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	27430  

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	27431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	27432  

Old May 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Looking good.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:59 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Well done.

Stupid question for those watching this thread who have done rebuilds - when you paint the body panels while off the vehicle do you also paint the insides or not? How about the sides/edges that get bolted to other things?
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Well done.

Stupid question for those watching this thread who have done rebuilds - when you paint the body panels while off the vehicle do you also paint the insides or not? How about the sides/edges that get bolted to other things?

Charles I was debating the same thing the last few weeks. Do I paint it now since everything is apart? After putting the panels back on by myself, I am glad I didn't paint them first. The outside anyways, I would have scratched the hell out of them. Maybe if I had help it would be different. If I could I would paint both inside and outside. Nothing worse then seeing a nice restoration job and seeing a different color in the crevices.

Old May 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Maybe just brush paint the mating surfaces and insides before installing? At least then the color matches and is protected (protection being my main concern personally)? I haven't paid enough attention to other build threads to tell if people have been painting the insides at all.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

If it is apart, why not paint it? It seems like spraying some and brushing other bits is a lot more work than just spraying it all when apart.

Unless you are planning on only spraying it once back together?
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
When Shrek was done I painted everything in and out, doors, jams, wings, grill shroud, tub panels.

If you are really carefull and use clear stick on plastic, even by yourself you will not scratch it.

Now not sure if you are doing single or 3 stages painting, I did 3, and you could be expossed to do some Blending if scratches happen.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Gustavo,

What's "clear stick on plastic"? I am not sure I want to paint it. Once it's painted I am gonna get real anal about it. If I leave it this way I won't care too much about using and abusing it.

Old May 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Forrest,

You will not mind using it and abusing it, you will just drool all over it when you drive it, see it, park it ..etc *LOL*

Sometimes it is used to protect the carpet on new car dealers , body shops use it to protect the individual parts painted off the vehicle and not ready to install ( I will ask the guys tomorrow what is the brand ).

The only painfull part for me was reinstalling the wing without scratching it, but since I have several coats of clear I did not mind if it happened ( didn't though )
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Charles, paint it apart. I would never paint any panel on the truck without taking it apart. It gives it a factor fresh look and coats all the parts in between. Both sides of everything should be painted. But the front wings do not get paint on the inside. Tehy do get all the edges done though. As long as you are not rushing, you will not have a problem putting it back together..

Rovers are made to paint in pieces ONLY..
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I vote no paint.
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:58 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I vote no paint.
Yeah kinda like the Transformer Camaro, except I don't have the bling under the hood! Haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rebuild