March 2016 - Found truck on Craigslist - Overland Park, KS
First of April 2016 - Took Delivery of Truck - Austin, TX (Target Parking lot at the Arboretum, 10pm) - Brought it home, Did a once over of the mechanicals to make sure there weren't any glaring issues.
April 20th-24th - Trailed it behind the RRC up to Gilmer, TX for SCARR 2016, the mayden voyage.
I figured I'd take it out and wheel it for a while to determine exactly what I wanted to do with it before I tore it apart. Had a great time...
...until we discovered that when they put a new lift pump on the motor, they didn't use the spacer/standoff block. Meaning the arm that rides the cam got busted off inside the pump/block. On flat ground, the IP was enough to pull diesel from the tank and keep it running. On this incline - gravity was too much. So it stalled, wouldn't fire back up, and we had to get winched...
Thanks again to all that helped get us to the top of Green Lane. (2 discos, 100ft of line, some patience, and lots of guidance).
SO we wheeled the RRC lightly (it was our ride home, and we were already paranoid) for the rest of the rally and trailed the 110 back to Austin.
Tore the lift pump off, found the issue, but had committed to the local LR club that i'd take the 110 to the local Polo match/Car show. A fix was needed.
So we put 25 or so miles on it using a homebrew secondary fermentation bucket as a diesel gravity tank. But, we made it to the match and home just fine.
Put a new pump on it, got the fuel lines back up, and got it on the road again. Then, the IP appears to have gone out of time, as it stalled on the highway, struggles to start, roared to life .. repeat, repeat, repeat. Got it home. Said screw it - Getting rid of this old 2.5N/A
So, moved into a new house, got the truck over to the new garage, and here we are:
Arranged for a V8/LT85 with member here, and that is ready to go in once some incidentals in the engine bay are addressed (motor mounts, fuel lines, scrape and respray, etc)
So that's where we are as of now - 110 is in the garage, motor is out. Trans will come out tonight. Then I'll be setting to the required work to convert to "petrol" and a v8 block.
I have also arranged for a 4.6L motor (converted for RRC) - Thanks Tony - which will go in my RRC. I'll then have a spare 4.2L efi motor laying about. So I intend to rebuild that and mate it to the LT85 in the 110 after some time with the 3.5L installed and on the road.
Looking to the future on this - the wings are absolutely THRASHED
So, I'm drawing plans up to get on the bender and make some challenge wings. I like this style the best:
And as I'm an experienced leather worker, I intend to reupholster the interior myself quite elaborately.
Currently looking for:
Disc brake RHD axle or conversion bits
lift up/roll up doors
Something in the way of wheels. not sure what I want yet.
Single cab roll cage - will fabricate myself w/ truck bed roll rails. Link to Challenge wings.
Need Single cab headliner and window surround bits. My interior is completely striped out.
More to come - it'll be a long road.
------ Follow up post added September 15th, 2016 11:52 AM ------
With the Single Cab installed - much better looking.